RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Ela S. said:

Not yet but I’m flying to Mexico May 5th and staying 2 weeks. I’m flying from Spain. I’ll let you guys know how it goes...

Please let us know! And good luck to you!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sarah84 said:

Please let us know! And good luck to you!!!

Thank you!! Will keep you all posted. KLM has direct flights from Amsterdam to Mexico City by the way. For all the germans in the thread if you’re willing to drive to Schiphol airport. Just in case Germany doesn’t have flights for May.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ela S. said:

Thank you!! Will keep you all posted. KLM has direct flights from Amsterdam to Mexico City by the way. For all the germans in the thread if you’re willing to drive to Schiphol airport. Just in case Germany doesn’t have flights for May.

I live close to Amsterdam! Does Mexico let Europeans in?

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Sarah84 said:

I live close to Amsterdam! Does Mexico let Europeans in?

Yes! Mexico’s air borders are open to anyone. They never closed them and I haven’t read anything about them closing anytime soon. I called the Mexican embassy here in Madrid and asked them for reassurance as well

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Ela S. said:

Yes! Mexico’s air borders are open to anyone. They never closed them and I haven’t read anything about them closing anytime soon. I called the Mexican embassy here in Madrid and asked them for reassurance as well

And will it be no problem to fly from Mexico to the U.S.? I heard that the borders are closed from Mexico to the U.S., or is it only land borders?

Timeline
Just now, Sarah84 said:

And will it be no problem to fly from Mexico to the U.S.? I heard that the borders are closed from Mexico to the U.S., or is it only land borders?

No problem if it’s done by air. Only land borders are closed. My fiancé called the Mexican embassy in the US and asked. The only thing they said is flights might get canceled. But I’ve seen there are plenty of flights from Mexico City to lots of US cities. We will be flexible and enter any POE within a reasonable driving distance if needed 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ela S. said:

No problem if it’s done by air. Only land borders are closed. My fiancé called the Mexican embassy in the US and asked. The only thing they said is flights might get canceled. But I’ve seen there are plenty of flights from Mexico City to lots of US cities. We will be flexible and enter any POE within a reasonable driving distance if needed 

Ok. That sounds great!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline
5 hours ago, Ela S. said:

Not yet but I’m flying to Mexico May 5th and staying 2 weeks. I’m flying from Spain. I’ll let you guys know how it goes...

Wow! Yes please!!!! 

5 hours ago, Ela S. said:

Wow...wishing you the best of luck! Can I ask how you were able to book accommodations in Mexico? My (german) GF and I were exploring this idea, and while right now we both think it's too risky, I read something about Mexico not allowing anyone to book hotel or Airbnbs. Anything you can share would be helpful! 

Timeline

Hi 👋🏽 I am in the same situation, I have a K1 and I was going travel to the US tomorrow, but the flight was cancelled on the 7th of April. I got a new flight for the 22nd of May, but Lufthansa says the flight might get cancelled as well (90% sure). So I am trying to find an alternative way to get to the US, or see, if I will get a visa extension (visa is valid until the 1st of July). I texted the embassy multiple times over the last few months, and have received the following info: -no, you’re not excluded from the travel ban and can not travel while it is in place. Yes, you can get a visa extension if you pay for another medical and interview (this was before the new EO last week). And Indifferent on the question, if I can travel through another country (and stay there for 15 days and then travel to the USA). They said that is up to the immigration officers and they decide on every case individually. After the new EO I texted the embassy again, to ask, if I can still get a visa extension for k1. They have not gotten back to me yet, and neither has Uscis travel doc. I am seriously considering traveling to another country by the end of May (because I do believe another decision by trump regarding immigration might be coming up in May). However, I am a bit scared to travel by myself and go to another country during this crisis. I have been trying to find out, if there are other countries (besides Mexico), which I could go to. And I would like to know, if one of you has found a website where I can find reliable information on travel/ flights during this time. As in, how would I know that flights are going to that country, if my flights from Frankfurt to the US keep getting cancelled?! Secondly, where do you find information about the individual countries ban on incoming travelers, how will I know if I am eligible to enter another country? I would love to try to go to Canada, but I found they have a travel ban that lasts until the end of May?! Any thoughts? Has anyone on here made plans already, if so, what have you planned (besides Ela obviously). Has someone on here from Germany contacted the embassy and received some sort of information??Thanks for your input I really appreciate any kind of exchange during this insane time!!! 

Timeline

I am in the same boat Leah! I am from Germany as well. I had a flight for June 26th from Hannover-Amsterdam-Minneapolis that got canceled a couple weeks ago. Now I am considering going earlier, because who knows what the future brings. I haven't made any plans yet. I really don't know what to do! I would go to another country and stay there for 14 days. But I would like to hear from someone who has done that. So, I guess I will be waiting until someone from Europe successfully made it to the U.S.!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I''m also in  the same boat. I was supposed to fly the 19th of may from Amsterdam to Phoenix. I have been looking into Mexico as well, where Cancun doesn''t sound too bad. Like having a 15 day vacation before flying to the States. But I am affraid to end up stranded in Mexico so I have decided to wait and see what happens in June, since my visa is valid until july 22. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline

Hello all, I have looked into the following countries other than Mexico: 

Turkey. They have a bit of corona virus outbreaks and have some restriction in place including some curfews in the weekends, but it does not look like they will be facing a travel ban. They have good relationship with USA as they just recently sent medical supplies to the USA and the USA President appreciated the gifts. I read a couple of days ago that they may be offering medical certificates as a way to assure travelers to coming to Turkey and leaving with proof of being virus free. Currently however, their national airline Turkish air seems grounded for most of May. I will follow up as things change every day.

There is Belarusa which is not part of the travel ban. They do not make you quarantine, but will take your temperature and will quarantine if found with infection as they do tests right there in the airport. So far from what I have read, you can go about pretty much normal as it can be. The downside is I do not know what relationship it has with the USA. I recently read that some German citizen was denied a B visa and was turned down because of a visit to Belarusa. So, may not be not be the best place to go at the moment. Also, no direct flights to the USA. You would have to transit through Armenia, or Tel Aviv and honestly sounds to risky and painful to seriously consider. 

There is Dubai that is currently phasing out of lockdown. No travel ban there. But flights may be an issue at the moment and there may be still some restriction, but hopefully not for long. I would consider this. I am regularly reading the local news.

South Korea. You would have to quarantine there for 14 days at $100 a day and the facility assigned by the government. 

For information on the current situation in a particular country - i just do a Google search for the local newspaper.

For information on the status of air travel - I Google air travel news, or international travel news to get a sense of what are airlines up to. Things change everyday. I get a sense that airlines need to get traveling before they sink beyond the point of no return, and rely on what the governments are doing in terms of safety and bailout money available. 

You can also Google the main international airport you are considering and get into their official website. There you will find information on the current situation, if you are able to travel there or not, what are the procedures, etc. 

I will post any enlightening information I come across.

I am also a bit nervous of my fiancee waiting it out because I don't currently see any promising news of international travel news between Europe and the USA by June. Tentative dates for things to get start up gets pushed back and it is just a mystery for them as for us. I see many of you, like my fiancee's K1 visa expires in July so by June something has to give, or even earlier.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.