19 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi all!

I am a US citizen residing in Russia for several years now. I still have a driver’s license, credit cards, my husband has a home in the US. I want to file for my married sister (F4). I plan to return to the US with my sister.

Am I eligible to file for a sibling visa F4 while residing abroad?

Can my sister come to the US with a tourist visa and then as soon as she enters the country I could file I-130 as well as Adjustment of Status I-485? Can she then stay legally in the US and wait for her GC?

Would it be quicker to file for my mother, then she would file for my sister once she becomes a US citizen?

Do I indicate my Russian mailing address or the US one on I-130? Can my I-130 be declined because my physical address is abroad?

Is the opnline application the quickest route?

Thank you for your help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Its 15 years for an f4 to become current.   No she cannot enter the USA and wait it out.

YMMV

1. You can file while abroad but will have to be living in the US at the time of your sister’s final visa granting for it to be successful. These visas are for family reunification in the US. 
2. No, because firstly that’s visa fraud, and secondly she can’t file AOS until there is a visa number available. For F4, expect a15 year, maybe longer wait. 
3. Assuming your sister is unmarried , yes. That will take about a year for your mom to get a green card, and then (sister over 21?) another 6 years or so for an F2B visa. Your mom will obviously have to be living in the US, able to sponsor etc. (if sister is married it saves no time as your mom would have to become a citizen first plus a wait almost as long as f4 )

4. I assume you have been maintaining IRS filing requirements while living abroad. 

You may want to look at the new public charge rules btw. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How old is your sister?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

3. Assuming your sister is unmarried , yes. That will take about a year for your mom to get a green card, and then (sister over 21?) another 6 years or so for an F2B visa. Your mom will obviously have to be living in the US, able to sponsor etc. (if sister is married it saves no time as your mom would have to become a citizen first plus a wait almost as long as f4 )

Oops, I just re-read (after coffee) your first post - your sister is married so no it won’t be shorter via your mom as that would be a year for her to get green card, another 5 years to become USC, then at least 13 years for F3 to become current, so will end up more like 20 than the 15 of F4. Bear in mind also that F3 and F4 both are likely to see wait times increase noticeably in the future .. (example in the past decade the F4 wait has increased from 10 to 14 years).

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Oops, I just re-read (after coffee) your first post - your sister is married so no it won’t be shorter via your mom as that would be a year for her to get green card, another 5 years to become USC, then at least 13 years for F3 to become current, so will end up more like 20 than the 15 of F4. Bear in mind also that F3 and F4 both are likely to see wait times increase noticeably in the future .. (example in the past decade the F4 wait has increased from 10 to 14 years).

Only the Sister is mentioned as far as immigrating, perhaps a to be ex husband?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, rita2086 said:

My sister is over 21 married and has two children. I assumed that they getting the F4 together with her right? 

How old are the children currently.

Timeline
4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

1. You can file while abroad but will have to be living in the US at the time of your sister’s final visa granting for it to be successful. These visas are for family reunification in the US. 

That means in about 10 years or so right? As far as I understand, the I-130 usually gets approved in about 1-2 years. Then the wait for visa number - another 10 years. Then I have to live in the US before she has her interview scheduled in Russia?

Timeline
1 minute ago, rita2086 said:

That means in about 10 years or so right? As far as I understand, the I-130 usually gets approved in about 1-2 years. Then the wait for visa number - another 10 years. Then I have to live in the US before she has her interview scheduled in Russia?

20 years would be a better estimate.

Timeline
Just now, rita2086 said:

1yo and 4month old

Well they might make it, assuming the current rules apply, obviously there has been talk of getting rid of this category. But then they would be 20 or so and who knows if they would want to move.

Timeline

Quicker online as you save the post delay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.