sandybabe_onuh

My husbands family forced him to divorce me, PLEASE I NEED ADVISE

38 posts in this topic

I am not sure what your husband's religion and culture is? But coming from a Country with diversified culture and religion, I think I can understand his and your situation and I am sorry that this is happening to you.

First of all, the others are right, you need to talk to your husband first and find out what he really wants for his life? What his plans are? Who is more important to him- his family and culture and tradition or you as his wife? If he is still unsure and would not want to cross his family's tradition and wishes, then I think you have to make a difficult decision to let go off him. If both of you decided to work things out (and if he succeeded in his petition to reverse the divorce orders), and proceeds with your visa applications, and this sort of problems (with his family and traditions/culture) will still come up, then what will you or your husband do? The question will be is, if you can live with this being married to him? Because if this is the case, you will have to struggle with his family's tradition/culture while you're married to him.

Since I have some traditions/cultures that I follow, I have to make my husband understand what this means to me and we talk about it and agreed to compromise. So far, he have to problems with it and certainly no problems with my family.

Good Luck! The decision is yours and your (ex)-husband's to make. I know it will be tough to weigh things and decide what will be best for both of you.

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Your husband is a grown man and if he so choses can make his own decisions no matter who disagrees with him.

He had no problem marrying you in the first place so why are the elders having

a problem with it now ?

Is he a fullah ? Muslim ? What is his religious background ?

If he is a Christian it would seem very unusual to be pushed towards a divorce.

There is enough difficulty with the Lagos embassy as it is and to explain this scenario to them will in my opinon cause a big problem. I have never read about

anything like this on VJ.

Sounds to me you are divorced now and no longer qualify for the petition and may have to start all over.

It also sounds like he no longer wishes to be married and has made his choice for whatever reason.

Best wishes and I am sorry you have to go through this after all this time !

That is one of the more important questions in getting to the bottom of this. What is his religious affiliation?

If he's a Christian he is supposed to leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife.

You don't know what your husbands religious affiliation is?

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

i wouldn't waste my time on such a man if a were u to start with. He's an adult and him being forced to divorce you is a flimsy and silly excuse. Should u press ahead with the relationship, i'm as sure as death things won't work out btn u lot.

It's them kinda peeps that give Africans a bad reputation. Why should he toy with ur emotions to start with? I'm sure there too many other fine African brothers out there willing to step in his shoes.

this is classic case of "those who have heads have no hats, and those who have the hats have no heads to done it on."

I pray the good Lord sees u through this ordeal. Honestly if i were u i'd leave his sorry ### to rot in that hell on earth.

"He that findeth a good Wife findeth a good thing",but is he a good Husband????????????

Hi Everyone,

My husbands family forced him to file for a divorce from me, and it was granted yesterday in court in Kubwa Abuja Nigeria. My husband told me even before our marriage that, according to custom and cultural beliefs and that the elders of the family can and do have a say in younger ones lives, can do this.

Yes , my husband did file the divorce papers, but with very much pressure from his elders to do so. He says he can appeal to a higher court and have the divorce reversed.

My question here is, if the higher court does reverse the divorce, will this be a great issue when he goes for his interview for the I-130? Will explination to the consulate of why and what happened be acceptable to them?

Please, i need help and advice here, please.

Also, anyone else that has a spouse or fiance in nigeria, please contact me if you or your spouse or fiance knows anything about the reversal process of a divorce in Nigeria.

My God!!! I can't believe this is happening to us. Please pray all will be ok with us. We have waited over 3 1/2 yrs to finally be together and now after only 5 months of marriage, all this takes place.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise you can offer me.

god bless you all

sandybabe_onuh

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

I am not sure what your husband's religion and culture is? But coming from a Country with diversified culture and religion, I think I can understand his and your situation and I am sorry that this is happening to you.

I disagree and can not understand this happening in the Nigerian culture.

His family and elders seemed to have no problem with the initial marriage. What kind of wedding did you have there ? Was the family involved then ? Do they not understand the long visa process and think you are not following through or abandoned him ?

I would research the culture in depth and ask a lot of questions and would want to speak to his family.

Sometimes what is said to be 'culture' is just an excuse.

It seems he got tired of the long wait and does not want to confront the truth or admit that he

just gave up on the long process so it is easier to say : they forced me and that is my culture.

But I don't know that as fact of course and am only speculating.

Other than his religious background I would ask if his survival depends on his family ?

I have always encountered the opposite of sub-saharan African family, friends, elders...that of great joy and a warm welcome so this seems very odd indeed.

The OP has not posted since her initial post and therefore it is all just speculation.

It is a shame to go through this after all the hard work, expenses and hope for a future together

with someone you love. Very disappointig to say the least.

There is a saying if a man shows you who he is believe him. If someone does not want to be with

you let him go ! You deserve top priority from a man who loves you no matter what.

Be wise to differentiate between 'culture' and his character. (F)

What's religion got to do with this? The OP said it was about culture.

Actually, in countries of multiple religions, there are sub-cultures that prevail within each religious group. This sub-culture often has a stronger influence over a person's values and behavior.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

During the 3 1/2 years it's interesting that the elders disapproval wasn't mentioned. You would think that would have been mentioned/negotiated before the marital vows were completed.

I wish you the best of luck in being strong and going thru this storm as quickly as possible.

I-130

03-17-07 Mailed

03-23-07 Recvd fwd to CSC NOA1

03-27-07 Update

APPROVED 09-05-07

09-06-07 Update

09-10-07 NOA2 in mail

I-129F

04-04-07 Mailed

04-24-07 Updated Recvd NBC NOA1

04-26-07 Update

05-08-07 Update

05-11-07 Update trnsfr to CSC

05-15-07 Update

05-17-07 Recvd trnsfr letter in mail

06-05-07 Update case pending @ CSC

06-06-07 Update

APPROVED 09-05-07

09-06-07 Update

09-10-07 NOA2 in mail

09-27-07 Arrived at NVC

10-06-07 NVC notice via mail

10-31-07 Mailed to the Embassy

11-04-07 Recvd at the Embassy

02-20-08 Medical Appointment

03-11-08 Redo Police record

04-11-08 Interview

02-17-09 Interview

06-04-09 redo medical & Police Record

06-09-09 Resubmit info @ Embassy

ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW

A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

seems to me that he uses his elder family member to justify HIS decision of filing a divorce. NOBODY can twist his arms to force him filing for divorce!!!

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

Also seems to me the OP must not have liked the comments made in this thread...because she hasn't posted a single reply since starting the thread. :whistle: I don't see how someone who allows anyone to influence their marital life to this extent would still be "worth" the fight....but that's just me.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I'm so sorry you are going through this ordeal. I can totally empathise. I have lived through aspects of this during my abusive marriage, even to the point of being hit by mother in law whilst my husband watched did nothing and blamed me. It was she who told him never to tell me about being bi-polar, pyshotic and having a schizoid personality. She hated me and the fact I was married to her precious son- well she has him back now and she can keep him.

He took her advice and after almost a year of me and my children suffering mentally, I found out during the divorce

Ultimately there are cultural differences but never, ever again would I marry a man who consistently put his parents views and opinions above those of his own wife

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

I know a couple from Ghana, they were both from Ghana who were forced to divorce by the Elders. THey were devestated as they really loved each other. The problem is, if your husband is so deeply entwined in his culture and will follow their advice, in my opinion it does not bode well for a good relationship here in America. Also, I don't think she got scammed, otherwise he would have gotten the divorce after he got the visa, this is definitely a cultural thing. And may not be one that you can overcome.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.