Chicken7585

I-751 (Removal of Conditions) April 2020 Filers (merged)

1,211 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2020 at 3:25 PM, Sarah_k92 said:

My timelines have always ran so close to out of processing. So I’ll be lucky if I get it at 12 months. 😂

The way I see it, I'd rather buckle in and expect a long wait, and then be pleasantly surprised if it ends up getting done early. 

Also, ROC was taking about a year on average even before the pandemic. So as long as it doesn't take months and months longer than a year, I'll be content. 

August 2017 - June 2018 AoS

April 2020 - January 2021 RoC

Jan 2022 - September 2022 Citizenship

On 11/16/2020 at 12:30 PM, LiRo said:

It is a bit disheartening though, as people who applied in August already get their cards in mail... 

I put a couple of inquiries (suggested by the agent when I called) but none of them got assigned to be processed... 

I doubt they'll care about inquiries right now because we're still within normal processing times. Crazy that some August filers have gotten it already, I didn't know that. Well, I don't think my luck is good enough to be one of the people who get it so early 😂

On 11/18/2020 at 7:47 PM, Hamilton said:

The way I see it, I'd rather buckle in and expect a long wait, and then be pleasantly surprised if it ends up getting done early. 

Also, ROC was taking about a year on average even before the pandemic. So as long as it doesn't take months and months longer than a year, I'll be content. 

Same! I’m planning for the 18 month wait and will be amazed if it comes sooner! 😂 Never quite had any luck of getting it early with any of the visas I’ve had! 

Edited by Sarah_k92

On 11/17/2020 at 5:41 PM, Daneandkathy said:

Still waiting over here!! We are MSC center, anyone else have this center and had anything past "Your Case was received"..... 

have you started prepping for you Citizenship yet? I was planning on starting in January/Feb to start gathering documents. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Macedonia
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Sarah_k92 said:

have you started prepping for you Citizenship yet? I was planning on starting in January/Feb to start gathering documents. 

I am thinking along the same lines. Since we can do it online I didn't start printing and collating paperwork. Turns out that if you file for citizenship and the application is accepted then the department handling the green card has 1 month to send you the green card before the department handling the citizenship can continue, so it may be faster to get your green card by applying for citizenship. Just crazy. We can apply around April 19 and the first day he can become a citizen is July 17th (I think that was the day we entered the US 3 yrs ago, married for 4yrs). 

2 hours ago, Daneandkathy said:

I am thinking along the same lines. Since we can do it online I didn't start printing and collating paperwork. Turns out that if you file for citizenship and the application is accepted then the department handling the green card has 1 month to send you the green card before the department handling the citizenship can continue, so it may be faster to get your green card by applying for citizenship. Just crazy. We can apply around April 19 and the first day he can become a citizen is July 17th (I think that was the day we entered the US 3 yrs ago, married for 4yrs). 

Yes I read that somewhere too. I can also apply in April. I may reconnect with you closer to the time and cross reference anything that I may come across and not understand... if that’s okay?! I can’t wait for all this to be done with! 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Sarah_k92 said:

Yes I read that somewhere too. I can also apply in April. I may reconnect with you closer to the time and cross reference anything that I may come across and not understand... if that’s okay?! I can’t wait for all this to be done with! 

yes absolutely lets stay in touch and figure it out together!!! 

4 hours ago, Daneandkathy said:

Are we able to apply online for citizenship even if we're going the fast track marriage route (applying for citizenship after 3 years of having a green card instead of 5)? Aren't we supposed to submit a whole lot of documents proving the bona fide marriage once again for the 3-year naturalization process? Surprised that it's possible to do that online, I suppose they let you upload the evidence. 

2 hours ago, Sarah_k92 said:

I think my window opens in March, so I'm game for staying in touch too! The window to apply for naturalization opens 3 months prior to the receipt of the original conditional green card, right? 

4 hours ago, Daneandkathy said:

We can apply around April 19 and the first day he can become a citizen is July 17th (I think that was the day we entered the US 3 yrs ago, married for 4yrs). 

This just struck me -- if you apply in April but he entered the US in July, you'll have been "living in marital union" for a couple of months less than the required three years to apply for naturalization. Do you know if that's an issue? 

We submitted our packet to the AZ center on Oct 26 and got the notification that the check was cashed yesterday. 

We made a huge mistake of sending a photo album (tiny binder) and they rejected it 😭 They sent it back and now we are so nervous. We have other proof in there but is there any way to send an addendum with the photos in the correct format? He came on a K1 in 2016 and we clearly have been out of practice for all the details of these forms 😭 

2 hours ago, mcromer said:

We submitted our packet to the AZ center on Oct 26 and got the notification that the check was cashed yesterday. 

We made a huge mistake of sending a photo album (tiny binder) and they rejected it 😭 They sent it back and now we are so nervous. We have other proof in there but is there any way to send an addendum with the photos in the correct format? He came on a K1 in 2016 and we clearly have been out of practice for all the details of these forms 😭 

Photos aren’t a big deal for them. They don’t way all the evidence on them.

I’d save them ready to be sent if you get a RFE. But if you sent other proof then you should be fine. 

Timeline
On 11/20/2020 at 8:12 PM, Hamilton said:

Are we able to apply online for citizenship even if we're going the fast track marriage route (applying for citizenship after 3 years of having a green card instead of 5)? Aren't we supposed to submit a whole lot of documents proving the bona fide marriage once again for the 3-year naturalization process? Surprised that it's possible to do that online, I suppose they let you upload the evidence. 

I believe we can, at least it looked like it online when I had a look. I am going to start focusing on it next year around March. 

On 11/20/2020 at 8:15 PM, Hamilton said:

I think my window opens in March, so I'm game for staying in touch too! The window to apply for naturalization opens 3 months prior to the receipt of the original conditional green card, right? 

Yes that is correct, we can apply 3mths before but they can't become an actual citizen with swearing in and everything until the date you entered (but most likely much later due to processing times). 

On 11/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, Hamilton said:

This just struck me -- if you apply in April but he entered the US in July, you'll have been "living in marital union" for a couple of months less than the required three years to apply for naturalization. Do you know if that's an issue? 

We were married November 2016, he got his green card March 2017 and we entered the US in July 2017. We can apply for citizenship 90days before the enter date because that is just a time for them to start processing it, he cannot become a citizen until 3yrs after the enter date. At least that is how I understand it from the website. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.