Greenbaum

MARCH 2020 K-1 NOA2 to NVC to Embassy

694 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Kariz said:

on my NOA2 letter, it says the expiration is July 27, but my fiancé is planning to move to the states in September. Will i have to request an extension? Does the expiration date on the NOA2 signify the person has to enter USA by that date with K1 visa OR that the k1 process (embassy interview) need to be completed by the expiration date? I was under the impression that K1 fiancés had months to enter USA from the date the visa is issued not NOA2...

You are mixing up two different processes. Let's look at each.

1. The NOA2 is good for a year total with 4 months approved at a time by the embassy (up to that year). The embassy has the discretion to approve any extension. You must have a good reason for extension. 

2. The visa validity is for 6 months (from the medical exam date) or what the Civil Surgeon at your medical exam advocates.

Background:

A fiancé visa must be issued within four months from the date of approval of the fiancé petition by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). If your appointment is later then the validity date, bring a signed and dated letter from your U.S. fiancé(e) stating that you both remain legally free to marry and that you intend to get married within 90 days of your arrival. E-mail or copies are acceptable.

9 FAM 41.81 N6.2 Validity of a K-1 Petition

(CT:VISA-2165; 08-21-2014)

An approved K-1 visa petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action and may be revalidated by the consular officer any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States.

http://travel.state....nce-k-1.html#11

My Petition Expired – Can It Be Extended?

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval by USCIS. A consular officer can extend the validity of the petition if it expires before visa processing is completed.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

5 hours ago, Kariz said:

when does this need to be submitted?

This is part of your paperwork for the interview along with the following:

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: You must submit any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. Visa petitioner (US Citizen) will have to complete form I-134. If the petitioner does not qualify as a sponsor, a Joint-Sponsor should ALSO be presented (any US Citizen living in the US or Legal Permanent Resident), who will also have to complete form I-134. Both, the Sponsor (Petitioner) as well as the Joint-Sponsor, will have to present last year's income tax return transcripts. W2 form and proof of current and sustainable income (e.g. letter of employment on letterhead including salary and start date, most recent salary receipts, bank accounts, the value of properties, etc.). You may download the I-134 affidavit at https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

Get the IRS transcript in place of the actual 1040 here:

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript Use this link to determine the income levels needed https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

Also, the new requirement from the embassies is to complete the DS-5540. https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5540.PDF 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So we are working on gathering things and organizing everything we need for the interview (we aren’t rushing anything given the circumstances) we are waiting for the NVC letter as well so we are just taking things slow. 

Given the whole Covid situation would it be worth filling out the DS160 now or just wait until there is some movement at the consulates? 

no rush we aren’t worried but I was just curious if anyone had some input for that :) 

46 minutes ago, ashley_ann said:

So we are working on gathering things and organizing everything we need for the interview (we aren’t rushing anything given the circumstances) we are waiting for the NVC letter as well so we are just taking things slow. 

Given the whole Covid situation would it be worth filling out the DS160 now or just wait until there is some movement at the consulates? 

no rush we aren’t worried, but I was simply curious if anyone had some input for that :) 

I wrote in the PDF that the DS-160 can be completed anytime from NVC assigning your case number to when you go to pay and schedule your interview. So, if you have your number you can complete it now if you like. I'd fill it out and then sleep on it and then review. Once you are satisfied submit the form and make copy of the confirmation page.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
3 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

I wrote in the PDF that the DS-160 can be completed anytime from NVC assigning your case number to when you go to pay and schedule your interview. So, if you have your number you can complete it now if you like. I'd fill it out and then sleep on it and then review. Once you are satisfied submit the form and make copy of the confirmation page.

thanks Greenbaum for the clarification wasn't sure just given this whole corvid 19, but glad to hear I can start it as I'm running out of things to do at home 😂

as well as find some one open to do photos 🤞

5 hours ago, ashley_ann said:

thanks, Greenbaum for the clarification wasn't sure just given this whole corvid 19, but glad to hear I can start it as I'm running out of things to do at home 😂

as well as find someone open to do photos 🤞

Use a bed sheet for a backdrop and have someone take your picture with your cell phone. Be aware of the distance that the photo is being taken from so it mirrors the result you are looking for. Then use the app to correct the photo to fit the parameters of a good passport photo. Then print them using your home printer on photo paper or search out a friend that can print them on their printer if you do no have access to that feature. Here is an online site that walks you through the entire process. There are phone apps in the Google Play Store or in the Apple Store. I find the online one to be the easiest to use.

https://www.passportphotoapp.com/

Review the Photo Examples to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos. Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver’s licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine, and full-length photographs are not acceptable.

Please review the additional photo requirements for:

Additional Information

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
5 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Use a bed sheet for a backdrop and have someone take your picture with your cell phone. Be aware of the distance that the photo is being taken from so it mirrors the result you are looking for. Then use the app to correct the photo to fit the parameters of a good passport photo. Then print them using your home printer on photo paper or search out a friend that can print them on their printer if you do no have access to that feature. Here is an online site that walks you through the entire process. There are phone apps in the Google Play Store or in the Apple Store. I find the online one to be the easiest to use.

https://www.passportphotoapp.com/

Review the Photo Examples to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos. Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver’s licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine, and full-length photographs are not acceptable.

Please review the additional photo requirements for:

Additional Information

Oh thank you for this!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi guys

I had my NVC case number few minutes ago. (We called them at the phone)

Noa2:  March 24th.

Nvc number: april 7th

How long will the letter take to arrive?

Thank you

40 minutes ago, Sara1102 said:

Hi guys

I had my NVC case number few minutes ago. (We called them at the phone

Noa2:  March 24th.

NVC number: April 7th

How long will the letter take to arrive?

Thank you

Under normal processing about 2 weeks. Now no one knows. No need to get it anytime soon as there is nothing you can do and since you have the number you are good to go in completing the DS-160. I wouldn't pay the fee or try to schedule an appointment till you hear that your embassy is open for business again.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just was reviewing the instructions for the DS-160, and I have a question. My middle name is not on my passport, but is on all other forms of identification. It's never been on my passport, but was put on our I-129F. Would I just put this in the section under "Have you used other names"? Or do I not worry about this? 

3 hours ago, RPete said:

I just was reviewing the instructions for the DS-160, and I have a question. My middle name is not on my passport but is on all other forms of identification. It's never been on my passport but was put on our I-129F. Would I just put this in the section under "Have you used other names"? Or do I not worry about this? 

Put in the section of "other names used". When you change your name after marriage then include the middle name on the new passport. :thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
On 4/7/2020 at 9:37 PM, Greenbaum said:

Under normal processing about 2 weeks. Now no one knows. No need to get it anytime soon as there is nothing you can do and since you have the number you are good to go in completing the DS-160. I wouldn't pay the fee or try to schedule an appointment till you hear that your embassy is open for business again.

Hi @Greenbaum,

i have a stupid question: i did the ds160 and i have my confirmation number with the barcode.

How long does it take to be associated to my visa?

i was curious to see what’s next and i tried to pay the fee since i have the number of the invoice but the form answered that i have to complete the ds160 before pay the fee.... 

Thank you so much

18 minutes ago, Sara1102 said:

Hi @Greenbaum,

I have a stupid question: I did the ds160 and i have my confirmation number with the barcode.

How long does it take to be associated to my visa?

I was curious to see what’s next and i tried to pay the fee since i have the number of the invoice but the form answered that I have to complete the ds160 before pay the fee.... 

Thank you so much

You must wait till the embassy turns that function back on. Yours is not accepting payment or scheduling. You need to give it more time. :yes:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

@Greenbaum 

I have lost my job due to the COVID-19. We have received our NOA2 on 23rd of March.

At the moment the consulate in Naples is still closed, but I was wondering, if I don't manage to get a job by the time the consulate opens again for the public, will I be able to use just savings for the I-134?

I was reading that I must have 3x the poverty line amount($21,550). Is that correct? What about for the I-864 for the GC?

27 NOV 2019 - I-129F mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.