GTB

Previous visa denials effect on ds-260

12 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi all,

So my wife and I are preparing her ds-260 and there is the question on it about previous visa denials.  My wife (who is Vietnamese) when she was younger had some issues with student visas.  She had applied 2 times and was denied both at the interview.  Her third attempt they granted the visa.  She then (unfortunately) lost her passport and had to apply again.  She was denied three more times at the interview and then ultimately accepted on the fourth.  She then used that visa to go to the United States to study (which is where we met!).  Now we are back in Vietnam and getting ready for consular possessing and I am a little nervous about this being an issue.  We have TONS of bonafides so I am not too concerned, but I was just hoping to get some opinions on what we might expect when the interview comes and if this will be a major sticking point/how to prepare for it.

Thanks so much in advance!

Brenden

4 minutes ago, BrendenGerber said:

Hi all,

So my wife and I are preparing her ds-260 and there is the question on it about previous visa denials.  My wife (who is Vietnamese) when she was younger had some issues with student visas.  She had applied 2 times and was denied both at the interview.  Her third attempt they granted the visa.  She then (unfortunately) lost her passport and had to apply again.  She was denied three more times at the interview and then ultimately accepted on the fourth.  She then used that visa to go to the United States to study (which is where we met!).  Now we are back in Vietnam and getting ready for consular possessing and I am a little nervous about this being an issue.  We have TONS of bonafides so I am not too concerned, but I was just hoping to get some opinions on what we might expect when the interview comes and if this will be a major sticking point/how to prepare for it.

Thanks so much in advance!

Brenden

Should not be an issue at all.  Just answer the Q honestly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
36 minutes ago, BrendenGerber said:

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm sure it won't be an issue, but this process really has a way of bringing out the paranoia! Fingers crossed it all goes okay 🙂

Previous non-immigrant visa denials are not normally an issue if the reason for the denials was lack of ties to home country....Just list them if required.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
36 minutes ago, BrendenGerber said:

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm sure it won't be an issue, but this process really has a way of bringing out the paranoia! Fingers crossed it all goes okay 🙂

Paranoia is the base of this process haha don't worry, you are not alone! 

Like @Jorgedig said her just need to be honest. They know everything what happened with her visas before.

You are doing the correct way to get the visa so now is just wait and waaaaaait.

Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Waow denied 5  times lost a passport with approved visa once....it mus have been a struggle 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, BrendenGerber said:

Hi all,

She had applied 2 times and was denied both at the interview.  Her third attempt they granted the visa.  She then (unfortunately) lost her passport and had to apply again.  She was denied three more times at the interview and then ultimately accepted on the fourth. 

Talk about perseverance. More evidence that consular officers are many times shooting in the dark. A true game of chance. 

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Talk about perseverance. More evidence that consular officers are many times shooting in the dark. A true game of chance. 

or lack of ties to home country.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 minutes ago, missileman said:

or lack of ties to home country.

She demonstrated lack of ties to the homeland in four interviews and got denied then miraculously could demonstrate ties in two interviews and get approved around the same time? 🤔

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The consulate in Saigon is a tough one. Get there early (7 a.m.) and make sure the guards see your U.S. passport - that (and the letter) will get you in. Don't drag/bring a bunch of stuff with you.  Don't talk to any of the scammers sitting outside the consulate. There are a ton of them and they will try to get money out of you or give you bad info. DO NOT TALK TO THEM!  You may have to wait for a long time inside (2 hours), or maybe not. The place is chaotic. Sit there and look happy, not nervous. Don't give info to others in the room. I think the American being there is almost a guarantee of success. You will be fine.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

She demonstrated lack of ties to the homeland in four interviews and got denied then miraculously could demonstrate ties in two interviews and get approved around the same time? 🤔

Right, she basically had the same application every time and it was approved 2 out of 7 times. Her ties didn't change at all.  The interviewers never gave her a reason why she was denied either.  Makes me sad to think of so many other people struggling through immigration, but at least there are many success stories in the end too.

4 hours ago, WandY said:

The consulate in Saigon is a tough one. Get there early (7 a.m.) and make sure the guards see your U.S. passport - that (and the letter) will get you in. Don't drag/bring a bunch of stuff with you.  Don't talk to any of the scammers sitting outside the consulate. There are a ton of them and they will try to get money out of you or give you bad info. DO NOT TALK TO THEM!  You may have to wait for a long time inside (2 hours), or maybe not. The place is chaotic. Sit there and look happy, not nervous. Don't give info to others in the room. I think the American being there is almost a guarantee of success. You will be fine

Thanks for the advice. I have experienced the scammers many times, though I'm surprised they let them hang around the embassy! Good tip about showing the passport, thanks! Hopefully everything will go smoothly; thanks everyone for the reassurance!

Edited by BrendenGerber

3 hours ago, BrendenGerber said:

7 times

That might be the VJ record for NIV applications.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.