PatrickKD

Got NVC Welcome Letter but have a problem

12 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, 

I just got my Welcome letter and saw that my nvc case number states that my location would be in Canada, I was studying in Canada last year but now am back in germany again and in the Petition we choose Germany as the Embassy location. 

Would it be a problem, to do the interview in canada or do I need to call nvc and change the location?

Thank you so much for your help

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

If you were residing in Canada at the time of filing the petition, then NVC generally selects the country of residence. Now that you have moved back to Germany, send an email mentioning your move to NVC requesting the Embassy change. Provide all info like case number, petitioner’s name, your name, DOB. Attach some evidences like a copy of your passport, may be flight ticket or stamp.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

22 minutes ago, H&T said:

Call NVC to asked them switch to correct Embassy.

4 minutes ago, arken said:

If you were residing in Canada at the time of filing the petition, then NVC generally selects the country of residence. Now that you have moved back to Germany, send an email mentioning your move to NVC requesting the Embassy change. Provide all info like case number, petitioner’s name, your name, DOB. Attach some evidences like a copy of your passport, may be flight ticket or stamp.

Thank you.. I'm just in the line with NVC :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
3 hours ago, PatrickKD said:

Hi everybody, 

I just got my Welcome letter and saw that my nvc case number states that my location would be in Canada, I was studying in Canada last year but now am back in germany again and in the Petition we choose Germany as the Embassy location. 

Would it be a problem, to do the interview in canada or do I need to call nvc and change the location?

Thank you so much for your help

Hi! I am going through something similar. I was living in Germany with my husband (the petitioner) for two years during my MA studies and filed the petition while living there. We were so naive about timeframes that we thought the whole thing would be done within the 6 months that we had left there, but nothing happened  until I graduated and left Germany which is when the petition was finally approved. We contacted USCIS as soon as we left Germany and they changed my husband address back to the US but said we needed to wait for the NVC to create the case. I sent NVC an email before I had the case number, then called and actually got the case and the lady told me to send an inquiry about the change of consulate. Ill  wait a few more weeks for them to respond, and if not ill call again since my case should be revised in about 5-6 weeks according to their timeline.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Don't forget to include your current (Germany) address in the body of your email to NVC. Try to do it before you get DQ as well. The sooner the better. 

---My location change mission ---

When I called NVC they said I only needed to email proof my wife lived in the requested county.  (Which they already had in all applications.)  When I emailed NVC I only included what they said I needed, proof of legal residence. Well, the request was rejected with a message saying to submit again with the address in the body of the email. 

While waiting, her application got DQ, sent to China, interview scheduled, and then the outbreak happened and China shut down.... Whenever I called NVC, the consulate, or Embassy I got conflicting information on who to contact and what was needed. 

Eventually I contacted my repetitiveness for help. They got some of the same copy/paste responses but were able to get the case transferred within about a week. Now we are waiting for a new interview date. 

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

Timeline
On 2/18/2020 at 2:03 PM, PatrickKD said:

Thank you.. I'm just in the line with NVC :)

Hi! did the call worked for you or did they just asked for a written inquiry? I just got a reply to my first email (Dec 30th) when I didnt even had a case number assigned so I just wrote my petition number and and asked for a change in location but didnt provide evidence, so they replied to send them an inquiry. On January 21st I called because it had been four months since my petition was approved and I still hadnt been assigned a case number, and finally got through and it just happend to be that they has just created my case and gave me the information. I also told them about the change in location and that is when she told me about the public inquiry form so I did it inmediately and sent evidence that I had moved out of Germany back to Peru. I didnt get any copy or proof that I sent the inquiry so I am scared that for some random reason they didnt get it and I am just here waiting for nothing.

I am trying to call again to insist on the change of location, I dont want to wait to get a response to my inquiry and then maybe get DQ in the meantime and loosing valuable time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Cristina280390 said:

I didnt get any copy or proof that I sent the inquiry so I am scared that for some random reason they didnt get it and I am just here waiting for nothing.

I am trying to call again to insist on the change of location, I dont want to wait to get a response to my inquiry and then maybe get DQ in the meantime and loosing valuable time.

That was also frustrating for me. You won't get any proof other than the confirmation on the website. You just have to keep checking the website to see how far the backlog is.  

"Current email response time" Section

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html

Be sure to include your current address in the body of the letter or you'll get another rejection.  

Edit: Every time I talked with someone at NVC I was told to send an email through their website. AskNVC 

Edited by Scott001

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 1:24 PM, Cristina280390 said:

Hi! did the call worked for you or did they just asked for a written inquiry? I just got a reply to my first email (Dec 30th) when I didnt even had a case number assigned so I just wrote my petition number and and asked for a change in location but didnt provide evidence, so they replied to send them an inquiry. On January 21st I called because it had been four months since my petition was approved and I still hadnt been assigned a case number, and finally got through and it just happend to be that they has just created my case and gave me the information. I also told them about the change in location and that is when she told me about the public inquiry form so I did it inmediately and sent evidence that I had moved out of Germany back to Peru. I didnt get any copy or proof that I sent the inquiry so I am scared that for some random reason they didnt get it and I am just here waiting for nothing.

Hi there :) 

sorry for the late reply.

so I called them and they said I need to send it through the public inquiry form on their website. But what the lady did was changing my address in the system over the phone. 

im still waiting for a response from them. Thinking about calling them today again and ask about it.

Timeline

Yeah I tried to get things done over the phone and got rejected twice. I am now just waiting on their response to my inquiry, which I wrote the same day I got my case number. Fingers crossed for a positive response to finally see my CEAC reflecting the correct interview location. Based on their timeframe I should get an answer within a week or two max.

Hi everybody, Just a quick update on the change of Interview Location.

I wrote the embassy where I want my Interview at and explained that there is a mistake and withing one day (I wrote them Friday and got the response this morning) , I got my new Case number and new Location. 

Edited by PatrickKD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.