Lskifghj

Port of entry and what waiting line

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi all,

my parents visa got approved by the consulate abroad and they are now ready to come to the US. Can they use any port of entry or does it have to be the port of entry of their new home town? They would like to do a one week vacation in a different state first before they fly to their new home town. Also, when arriving at a port of entry, do they use the green card holder waiting line or tourist waiting line?

POE dosent matter so they can enter any state on arrival before going new home.

they go through visitor line to my knowledge, they don’t get GC until after arrival and stamped by POE officer, it’s still a visa at this stage.

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

POE dosent matter so they can enter any state on arrival before going new home.

they go through visitor line to my knowledge, they don’t get GC until after arrival and stamped by POE officer, it’s still a visa at this stage.

Thank you! Can they go to port of entry in Hawaii, vacation there for a week, then fly to their new home town in a different state? It’s not a different poe for transit flight but for a vacation first. 

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Lskifghj said:

Thank you! Can they go to port of entry in Hawaii, vacation there for a week, then fly to their new home town in a different state? It’s not a different poe for transit flight but for a vacation first. 

Have your parents tell the immigration personnel manning the lines that they're first time immigrants with the immigration packets. This was some time ago but during my first time entry, i had told one of the personnel that i had an immigrant visa. They eventually pulled me out of the visitor line and directed me to a separate line for first time immigrants. Just tell your parents to ask as soon as they reach the immigration area and to have them point out their packets. If the person does not know, try asking again to confirm. Your parents shouldn't be in the visitor line anyway because cbp still has to check their packets, stamping etc.

After POE in Hawaii, everything's domestic. they can vacation and just use their passport with the stamped I-551 as ID for the next flight to a different state.

Edited by xyz12345

Timeline
55 minutes ago, xyz12345 said:

Have your parents tell the immigration personnel manning the lines that they're first time immigrants with the immigration packets. This was some time ago but during my first time entry, i had told one of the personnel that i had an immigrant visa. They eventually pulled me out of the visitor line and directed me to a separate line for first time immigrants. Just tell your parents to ask as soon as they reach the immigration area and to have them point out their packets. If the person does not know, try asking again to confirm. Your parents shouldn't be in the visitor line anyway because cbp still has to check their packets, stamping etc.

After POE in Hawaii, everything's domestic. they can vacation and just use their passport with the stamped I-551 as ID for the next flight to a different state.

Thanks for your advice with the immigrant packet!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lskifghj said:

Yes, flights between Hawaii and the US mainland are domestic, and even if you chose a route that say went through Canada, once they enter the first time, their endorsed visa functions as a temporary GC.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Any POE will do with the possible exception of Hyder, Alaska.  

Not sure I understand the relevancy of flights between Hawaii and the mainland being domestic. Once they land in Hawaii they will have an I-551 in their passport and they can leave the USA to transit a third country provided they have a visa to do so (or the third country accepts  their I-551 in lieu of a visa). 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline

Thanks y’all for your feedback. We ended up booking a straight flight of their home town and postpone the vacation to later. Found cheap tickets for vacation and thought could do it now but later is fine too. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, Lskifghj said:

Thanks for your advice with the immigrant packet!

Chances are the immigration package for immigrant visas are electronic and not hand carried anymore 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.