zozomike

Evidence of bonafied marriage

35 posts in this topic

Mary and I met online in 2017, and I traveled to meet her in Sri Lanka January 2018. We spent a month together, and became serious. I have since traveled to her four times, staying 30 days each visit. We were advised to pursue a K1 visa as it could be quicker, that did not turn out to be true.

I filed an exhaustive (exhausting) professionally prepared I-29F 09/14/2018. In April 2019 Mary had her interview at the Colombo Embassy.  The CO sent a scribbled request for more info on my income and prior relationships. This was promptly sent. My income had just about doubled in the prior two years, so ??. And I have been married/divorced three times, and had previously brought a Philippina on fiancée visa, who decided she would not like to live here and returned to her family. As to that experience most of my records had been lost, and my memory had blotted it out, (I am 72 so erasing memories is fairly easy)

Mary and I had no additional info from the Embassy, so Sept 2019 I sent a query, which received a sort of auto reply. At the suggestion of the consultant I contacted my US Senator, and his office was quick to help. In November 2019 Mary was called to Colombo to “answer a few questions” When she arrived however a secretary handed her back her documents and said “a visa could not be issues in this circumstance” She was not afforded any explanation. Eventually a letter was forwarded by the Senator stating the visa was denied, but offering no reason, and my subsequent entireties have been ignored.

I traveled to Mary Dec 2019, and we decided to pursue the K3 and were married 01/03/2020. We are working without consultant on this, I have since retired and have the time. In trying to document bonafide marriage, I have tried to open a joint account at three banks, (in which I already have accounts) and have been denied as she is not present, or a legal resident. She has tried her bank in Sri Lanka and had the same answer. 

Has anyone any advice on proving financial blending, (other than documenting the monthly budget I send?)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Who advised you to pursue a K-3?  K-3 visas are basically dead.  Last year only 5 were issued world-wide.  The I-129F will be closed administratively, and will continue as a CR-1.  A CR-1 is superior, anyway, imo.

So, you have no idea as to why Mary's visa was not approved?  I am sorry to say this, but marriage might not have solved the issue.  To answer your question, couples who are living in separate countries are not expected to have joint bank accounts.  I have seen very little , if any, success in adding foreign spouse who are not present in the US.  I would concentrate on other evidence such as continuing communication and proof of time actually spent together.....I wish you the very best......Good luck.

"Tales of the Green Card"

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How old is Mary?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Missleman, you are quick!  I guess I used the wrong term ( K3) shows my learning curve. We have been unable to learn why the fiancee visa was denied. The only comment was

"Our review of Department records confirmed that Mary L. was interviewed at the U.S. Epbassy, Colombo, on Apri! LL,2AL9. After the interview and a thorough review of her visa application and subsequeni information provided by the petitioner, the consular officer fou.nd that she was not eligible for the visa category in which she was applying. The fiancde petition (Form l-129F) filed on her behalf will be returned to U. S. Citizenship and lmmigration Services (USCIS). Once it has been returned, the Department of State no longer has jurisdiction over this case"

I do not understand  The I-129F will be closed administratively, and will continue as a CR-1.  A CR-1 is superior, anyway, imo" when I go to CEAC it gives error of Invalid case number. So I am lost..

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove full name.

Marys age is 46, so that may be an issue, We also applied for her two teenage sons. Her age, my previous relationships, ( all of which ended amicably and no issues there, even my midlife love of Philippina Maricel. ) my Income and legal histories are spotless. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

If you have any life insurance or health insurance, you can add your wife as beneficiary. You can add her as beneficiary in your banking account. With your age gap and relationship history, they may suspect she may just be in relationship with you with sole purpose of immigration and not to be with you. So it’s on you two to overcome that. I would suggest spending time together a bit more. You said you are retired, so i guess you can go there and live with her for a bit that would bolster your bonafide marital evidence.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 7:18 AM, zozomike said:

Missleman, you are quick!  I guess I used the wrong term ( K3) shows my learning curve. We have been unable to learn why the fiancee visa was denied. The only comment was

"Our review of Department records confirmed that Mary L. was interviewed at the U.S. Epbassy, Colombo, on Apri! LL,2AL9. After the interview and a thorough review of her visa application and subsequeni information provided by the petitioner, the consular officer fou.nd that she was not eligible for the visa category in which she was applying. The fiancde petition (Form l-129F) filed on her behalf will be returned to U. S. Citizenship and lmmigration Services (USCIS). Once it has been returned, the Department of State no longer has jurisdiction over this case"

I do not understand  The I-129F will be closed administratively, and will continue as a CR-1.  A CR-1 is superior, anyway, imo" when I go to CEAC it gives error of Invalid case number. So I am lost..

Have you already filed a petition(s) since marrying Mary?  

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove full name in quote.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Yes I plan to travel there again soon. We chat twice per day. And have 3 years records of that. The beneficiary idea is one I had not thought of. Thank you. We are working on affidavits from neighbors and family. Her large family is VERY supportive. However immigration is 

1 minute ago, missileman said:

Have you already filed a petition(s) since marrying Mary?  

No we are working on that. I just returned to New Mexico from Negombo ( her home) We are working on assembling affidavits from family, neighbors etc. She is obtaining new certificates and translations. 

15 minutes ago, arken said:

If you have any life insurance or health insurance, you can add your wife as beneficiary. You can add her as beneficiary in your banking account. With your age gap and relationship history, they may suspect she may just be in relationship with you with sole purpose of immigration and not to be with you. So it’s on you two to overcome that. I would suggest spending time together a bit more. You said you are retired, so i guess you can go there and live with her for a bit that would bolster your bonafide marital evidence.

Oh the beneficiary idea is a good one. Thank you. I just returned from Negombo ( her home)  Will be back there with her ASAP. Goodness knows, there are many things they could suspect, and what you point out is one. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

will

living will

power of attorney

all three for both of you, with spouse as beneficiary/agent

spouse as beneficiary on everything, life insurance, health insurance, dental, vision, retirement accounts, bank accounts, etc.

joint credit card account

all those can be done while living in separate countries, to show financial co-mingling as a married couple

my husband and I sent all the above plus evidence of many trips to show time together and were approved with a 28-year age gap

make sure you are with her for the visa interview in 1-2 years at the end of the process, know everything about each other if questioned

good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
1 minute ago, zozomike said:

Wow, you folks are amazing. I just posted this morning, and already wonderful responses. Thank you so much. 

Well, imo, there is still the question of why the fiance visa was denied........Was she married before?  If so, did she show proof that she was free to marry?  Did you show evidence that your prior marriages were legally dissolved?

Question to those with more experience in this, is there anything to read into the specific wording of 

2 hours ago, missileman said:

she was not eligible for the visa category in which she was applying.

(as opposed to some kind of general denial wording) - this seems to specifically say the problem is with her as opposed to the relationship, etc. As asked above, could she prove free to marry?

Timeline
Just now, SusieQQQ said:

Question to those with more experience in this, is there anything to read into the specific wording of 

(as opposed to some kind of general denial wording) - this seems to specifically say the problem is with her as opposed to the relationship, etc. As asked above, could she prove free to marry?

Personally, I'm not sure if that is just standard language or a statement relating to her specifically.....good question, @SusieQQQ

7 hours ago, missileman said:

Well, imo, there is still the question of why the fiance visa was denied........Was she married before?  If so, did she show proof that she was free to marry?  Did you show evidence that your prior marriages were legally dissolved?

Indeed, we labored long to prove that, for both of us. Yes she was married before. Yes the divorce was certified by her court and translated. All those customary hurdles were addressed. The consultant I hired actually drafted all the petition with our docs. and we approved. The why has confused the experienced consultant as well as us. As I have nothing to hide following is a cover letter I sent which iterates all the contents: 

Edited by Ban Hammer
personal info removed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.