Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


  • Rank
  • Member # 343070

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

183 profile views
  1. A little bit of thought would help understand my point. My point is, this case was also sevis is related and he was denied entry even with a new visa because his Sevis was revoked. And because of that he got a 10 year ban and still waiting to finish his degree. I understand you’re very eager @retro_jet to start your masters, but just trying to give you a perspective on how wrong things could go, if you don’t have everything right. https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/international-students/2001762-do-i-have-to-renew-my-f1-visa-when-i-go-to-grad-school.html https://www.quora.com/Do-I-need-to-apply-for-F1-visa-again-if-I-want-to-pursue-PhD-after-my-Masters-What-do-people-generally-do-under-such-cases https://internationalaffairs.uchicago.edu/page/transferring-sevis-record-new-school#Eligibility
  2. this is the link I was wanting to post. Apologize for the confusion.
  3. This is true. You need to know that if you’ve been away from the United States for more than 5 months, you’re Ineligible for a sevis transfer, which you could’ve done, if you applied while at the end of your masters or OPT. Your new school will need to offer you a new SEVIS, and therefore you’ll need to reapply for a new visa. I took a leave of absence on a F1 as well, and had to reapply for a new visa afterward. https://iss.washington.edu/procedures/change-school/ Remember if you travel with your old visa, you’ll be denied entry at the port and this opens a whole other can of worms. Also I’m guessing your F1 should expire within the next year or two, and considering the duration of PhD programs, why not apply for a new one anyways.
  4. You could call USCIS and try to fix it that way if you filled out wrong on the petition. If the error was made by USCIS, you could correct it here. https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayTypoForm.do
  5. If your fiancé can access the mail regularly, then it wouldn’t be an issue and change it during the next steps. Else you can change the address here https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/addressChange.do or call USCIS and get it done, but might take some time for someone to help you out.
  6. It might since you could end up getting an RFE along the process if there are inconsistencies. I think it’ll be easier for you to get the name change later. As the petitioner, if you do a name change now, you will have to change your name with your employer, DMV, Social security office for starters. And with COVID, it might take forever for you to get these done from these offices.
  7. If this has a traditional aspect or if it was a big celebration (extended family etc.) I would avoid sending these, because in the past, there’s been incidences people have been denied visas because they were deemed “too married” for a K1. I think the two letters by each of you, Should suffice and make sure that both of you sign each other letters as well. Also a receipt of the engagement ring/wedding ring would also help out for additional evidence more than actual wedding plans since you cannot set a date rn. If you want to go the extra mile, you could email your local court house requesting information on what documents are required for a foreign person to get married and such. And then attach a copy of the email.
  8. You can take the exam whenever you want and won’t hinder you obtaining an F2. And you can complete it while you’re in the states as well.
  9. I think your best bet is to just attend the interview whenever that is possible. There’s a real good chance that universities will have everything online and won’t convene in person for fall, and in that case, you could attend classes from home. Else you could talk to the dean of your department and see if they’ll be willing to push back your admittance date by a year. You could take transferable courses over there during that time if you decide to go this route. Good luck
  10. For your region, looks like they actually request an i864 which means you have to meet the 125% criteria instead of the 100% in a i134. And on salary, check what’s stated on the Wages, salaries, tips etc. line on the first page of the tax transcripts and if it exceeded the poverty guideline requirement. if you’re not working, it’s better to find a job quickly since the stability and length of your employment could affect the decision of the CO. And if you can get your parents to sponsor for you, I’d say go for it since it’s only going to help during the interview. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ-Guangzhou.html
  11. Actually at the interview stages, you might not even need to translate, since it looks like they only require translations for any documents NOT in English or French. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/DKR-Dakar.html
  12. Routine visa services are suspended as of now unfortunately. https://ua.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
  13. I apologize on this regards, and others were right. You could translate as long as you’re fluent in French and certify it. This gives a better understanding onto translation basics. https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/translating-immigration-documents-english/ And from what I read, the Senegal embassy don't have any restrictions as well in translations.
  14. You don’t really need text conversations at the petitioning stage. Specially if they need to be translated. You could send pictures, boarding passes and passport stamps to show proof of relationship and that you have met within the last two years. And any translation done, needs to be done by a certified translator. We did add a statement of meeting, and I know a lot of people tell that it’s not necessary, but it doesn’t hurt. Just briefly describe your relationship. You both need to submit letters of intent to marry. It’s just a couple of sentences stating that you both are legally free and willing to marry each other within 90 days of being admitted to the States. Also you’re the one who’s petitioning. So all documents they assume are coming from you, so it doesn’t really matter, how proficient he is in English. Passport does not need to be translated, but any other document that you’re submitting, that’s not in English need to be translated.
  15. Only one of you can claim your kids as dependents. It might help you not claiming them and let your ex-husband claim them, since it reduces the poverty requirement from about $13K. Finding a joint sponsor for both I134 and I864 like geowrian mentioned would also be better if you didn’t meet the requirement in the past years.
  • Create New...