zozomike

Evidence of bonafied marriage

35 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, missileman said:

Well, imo, there is still the question of why the fiance visa was denied........Was she married before?  If so, did she show proof that she was free to marry?  Did you show evidence that your prior marriages were legally dissolved?

Indeed, we labored long to prove that, for both of us. Yes she was married before. Yes the divorce was certified by her court and translated. All those customary hurdles were addressed. The consultant I hired actually drafted all the petition with our docs. and we approved. 

According to Mary, the interviewer asked only about my income, and asked about my previous relationships. Mary was fully informed. I suspect the interviewer wondered more about me than Mary. ( as it should be) I have 3 divorces and 2 fiancee visas behind me. I forgot to say I had fallen for one Fillipina, and spent many months with her, got her legally divorced even and obtained the visa. She arrived and within one week had decided she did not want to leave her family, and wanted to return home. I explained there was no staying without marriage, and she still wished to return. So I sent her. I guess this bothered me more than I let on, ans I then wound up in a relationship with her friend. Same process, same result. In those days I worked out of state in a highly stressful 90 hour per week  catastrophe adjuster career. I was not much fun I reckon.  The consultant filed the appeal for multiple visas. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 hours ago, zozomike said:

Is this a 221g? 

No, a 221g would have asked for addditional documents, etc..........Did you and she have any type of traditional ceremony before the fiance visa interview?

Edited by Unlockable
Quoted post with attachment of personal info

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

No, what we had was photos of the engagement, with family present, but no officials. Sri Lanka has a traditional engagement ceremony with priests and stuff, but I had the feeling that was for first marriages, not for veterans of the end game.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, zozomike said:

No, what we had was photos of the engagement, with family present, but no officials. Sri Lanka has a traditional engagement ceremony with priests and stuff, but I had the feeling that was for first marriages, not for veterans of the end game.

OK.......I asked the question because in some countries, traditional ceremonies can be see by Consulate Officers as a "marriage".  If that were the case here, Mary would have been "too married" for a K-1 finance visa (and that would fit the "not eligible for the visa category in which she was applying" statement in the denial letter).  I have sent a message to someone who knows much more than do I about this.  Hopefully, he will give us his thoughts here......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 hours ago, zozomike said:

Indeed, we labored long to prove that, for both of us. Yes she was married before. Yes the divorce was certified by her court and translated. All those customary hurdles were addressed. The consultant I hired actually drafted all the petition with our docs. and we approved. The why has confused the experienced consultant as well as us. As I have nothing to hide following is a cover letter I sent which iterates all the contents: 

@zozomike - be careful posting your contact details etc on the internet - anyone can access these forums and pages. I've flagged this mods to remove, for your personal security 🙃.

Sorry about your struggles here.

Just wondering -

1) Was she unmarried "enough" to justify a fiance visa? Did photos of some local engagement ceremony raise questions about being "already married enough" to you to make the fiance category no longer applicable?

2) You two met online. Did review of her social media raise some issues with regards to other relationships she might have or be having?

3) Has SHE ever applied for a fiance visa to the US? If so, how recently and how often? 

4) How long have you been helping her financially? Could that have raised questions?

5) Are you on any of her financial and legal records and documents (bank accounts, leases, etc.) in her country?

Filing the spousal visa might allay these issues, presuming you provide sufficient evidence of financial and legal co-mingling. 

Just trying to be helpful.

Best.

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, missileman said:

Your petition was approved, but only the consulate can approve the visa, itself.  Did the consulate officer seem concerned about anything in particular during her interview?  From what I have seen, denials are usually due to one of the following (not in any particular order):

1.  Petitioner background check revealed something .

2.  Petitioner or interviewee were not free to marry

3.  Consulate Officer had doubts about the bona fide relationship.

4.  Interviewee background check reveled some inadmissibility. 

Any other reason would have resulted in a 221g with a request for additional documentation.

one post edited to remove the attachment containing personal info.

the above post removed as the attachment could not be removed, and is returned to viewing by other members.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

9 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Question to those with more experience in this, is there anything to read into the specific wording of 

(as opposed to some kind of general denial wording) - this seems to specifically say the problem is with her as opposed to the relationship, etc. As asked above, could she prove free to marry?

Ineligible could be for virtually anything.

But yes, my initial thought also led to wondering if they were both considered free to marry. Either a prior marriage being dissolved not being established prior to filing, or being "too married' for a K-1.

Although there is no way to really verify this.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I just now questioned Mary again to confirm what she was told when her documents were returned. The Embassy secretary, who is Sri Lankan, only said " 

"She said the visa could not be issued on this condition. To try again in a different way, But the reason why the visa cannot be issued was not explained" 

It is just these few words, as we can obtain no other that made us believe the CO had doubts about how " bonafied" the relationship was. And which led to our rather precipitous marriage choice. 

9 hours ago, zozomike said:

According to Mary, the interviewer asked only about my income, and asked about my previous relationships. Mary was fully informed. I suspect the interviewer wondered more about me than Mary. ( as it should be) I have 3 divorces and 2 fiancee visas behind me. I forgot to say I had fallen for one Fillipina, and spent many months with her, got her legally divorced even and obtained the visa. She arrived and within one week had decided she did not want to leave her family, and wanted to return home. I explained there was no staying without marriage, and she still wished to return. So I sent her. I guess this bothered me more than I let on, ans I then wound up in a relationship with her friend. Same process, same result. In those days I worked out of state in a highly stressful 90 hour per week  catastrophe adjuster career. I was not much fun I reckon.  The consultant filed the appeal for multiple visas. 

Don’t you need a waiver for being a multiple filer after filing 2 K1s before? Am I misunderstanding this bit from the instructions 

Item Numbers 5.a. - 5.d. Multiple Filer Waiver Request. You must request a waiver of the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA) filing limitations if:
1. You are filing this petition on behalf of your fiancé(e) and you previously filed Form I-129Fs on behalf of two or more fiancé(e) beneficiaries; or
2. You are filing this petition on behalf of your fiancé(e), you have previously had a Form I-129F approved, and less than two years have passed since the filing date of your previously approved petition.

Correct and the waiver was filed for the fiancee visa. It will be reviled and I think I will address our denial in that way also?

*** Posts containing attachment with personal info edited. Please be careful of what is posted on the forum.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

37 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

*** Posts containing attachment with personal info edited. Please be careful of what is posted on the forum.

VJ Moderation

Sorry for the trouble, I will be more circumspect going forward.

I just now questioned Mary again to confirm what she was told when her documents were returned. The Embassy secretary, who is Sri Lankan, only said " 

"She said the visa could not be issued on this condition. To try again in a different way, But the reason why the visa cannot be issued was not explained" 

It is just these few words, as we can obtain no other that made us believe the CO had doubts about how " bonafied" the relationship was. And which led to our rather precipitous marriage choice. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.