frankiecarbone

which tax return to bring to interview?

32 posts in this topic

Iam a us citizen and i petitioned for my wife to come here from the dominican republic, and im at the stage where im just waiting for the interview letter.

Of course when i filed the affidavit of support it was last year and i used my tax returns from 2018 year, in other words those are the most "recent" tax returns they have, but since its a new year i wanted to know if they will ask for the tax returns of 2019 now even though those were not the ones they have on file.

The reason i ask is because the tax returns of 2018 they have meets the minimum i have to have made to bring her over here, but the NEW tax returns i just did a couple of days ago i did not make enough, so can i just say i havent filed my taxes this year since technically i have until april 15 to file my taxes, or will they know i did my new taxes 2 days ago at the interview?

They request the MOST RECENT tax return. The best form isn’t the whole tax return, but a tax transcript of the return from the IRS. You can get those on the IRS website. 

Avoiding the submission of the 2019 return/transcript to hide a lowered income for immigration can be seen as hiding material facts for immigration purposes. Doing that can be extremely dangerous to your case as it is against immigration law, and you should not do that.

your best bet is to get a joint sponsor. 

Edited by SorrowL

visa Issued

when i go to the interview wont they just ask me to bring originals of all the documents that was submitted with the visa application (ie the 2018 tax return)? or will they actually tell me "hey listen we know the most recent tax return you were requires to submit was the 2018, but did you do your 2019 already? if u did show it to us"

because i was under the impression i only had to bring the documents they have on file

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, frankiecarbone said:

when i go to the interview wont they just ask me to bring originals of all the documents that was submitted with the visa application (ie the 2018 tax return)? or will they actually tell me "hey listen we know the most recent tax return you were requires to submit was the 2018, but did you do your 2019 already? if u did show it to us"

because i was under the impression i only had to bring the documents they have on file

Bring a copy of your submitted package as well as a copy of the latest return.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

again, my new tax return will put me under the Poverly line, my question is, can i just tell them i have not filed my 2019 taxes since technically i have until april 15 to file them? or will they KNOW i already did my taxes 2 days ago?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, frankiecarbone said:

again, my new tax return will put me under the Poverly line, my question is, can i just tell them i have not filed my 2019 taxes since technically i have until april 15 to file them? or will they KNOW i already did my taxes 2 days ago?

Absolutely no!!!!!!!!    Never play games with immigration authorities............It is the job of the consulate to look at your overall financial picture.  If you have doubts about your current income, then find a joint sponsor....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

well that is my problem, i do not have a joint sponsor, not do i know anybody that will serve as a joint sponsor. I only had a hard time between jobs last year, and right now i have a full time job that would qualify me above the poverty line, but i just started this job last september so its not enough part of my 2019 return. 

So basically i just lost all the money i spent filing for my wife and she is not going to be able to come here even though right now i can technically support her, all because i had one bad year?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, frankiecarbone said:

well that is my problem, i do not have a joint sponsor, not do i know anybody that will serve as a joint sponsor. I only had a hard time between jobs last year, and right now i have a full time job that would qualify me above the poverty line, but i just started this job last september so its not enough part of my 2019 return. 

So basically i just lost all the money i spent filing for my wife and she is not going to be able to come here even though right now i can technically support her, all because i had one bad year?

Current income is king.....unless you are self-employed, current paystubs, employment letter establishes current income.....last year's tax return documents past history, not necessarily your ability to support ability in the future. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
4 minutes ago, frankiecarbone said:

ohhhh, so basically even if my 2019 tax return puts me under the poverty level, if i have a job NOW where i make enough to support us then i should be fine in the interview?

Remember the minimum is just the minimum to be considered. There is no guarantee that just because you make over the minimum that you will be approved. They are looking at your overall financial health. It’s not possible to compare two cases as each case is unique. 

Withholding material information like a change in your financial status, or outright lying will get you in big big trouble. You need to ensure the consulate has the most up to date information. 

If the CO is not satisfied, they will let you know what you need to do to rectify (ie joint sponsor, increase income).  

so basically i can go in there and say hey i met the income level in 2018 but not in 2019, however i have a new job and make good money now and here are my pay stubs, and they can say "yeh but we dont like your situation, get a joint sponsor or no deal" and just like that my wife is out the picture? because as i said i have NO possibility of getting a joint sponsor.

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
11 minutes ago, frankiecarbone said:

so basically i can go in there and say hey i met the income level in 2018 but not in 2019, however i have a new job and make good money now and here are my pay stubs, and they can say "yeh but we dont like your situation, get a joint sponsor or no deal" and just like that my wife is out the picture? because as i said i have NO possibility of getting a joint sponsor.

Yes the CO has ultimate authority to adjudicate your case, and one aspect is reviewing the sponsors financial health and prospects. While they could flat out deny, it's more likely that she would be given a refusal that can be overcome and will be provided a list of ways to do so, if the officer is not satisfied. Could be by you making or money, or by finding a joint sponsor. If your response is "I don't have a joint sponsor" then you're out of luck. You won't know for sure until she goes for the interview

Have you checked out the DR forum to see what experiences are like there? They can vary dramatically consulate to consulate

Edited by designguy

i have not looked into those forums yet, i am a member of DR1 ill probably check there, but i remember when i petioned my daughter 5 years ago the interview process was quick and they did not ask to be honest, but then again every officer is different so i wont go by that one experience, and also when i requested my daughter i had the same job for 5 years and made enough.

I can understand/see them denying me for the simple fact that the last 2-3 years my finances were rocky, even though im solid now, so i guess i will just prepare myself and her for her being denied, it just sucks that i will be out all my time and money for nothing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Frankie, TECHNICALLY they cannot ask for your tax returns prior to the filing date of April 15th.  Here on Visa Journey, we have seen people with March interviews asked for their prior year tax returns.  These people are usually folks who have borderline financial qualifications.  They MIGHT want you to file 2018 tax returns before they clear you over the next hurdle.  But you might not need them.

If you were significantly over the threshold in 2017 and 2018, they may not blink, and you might get by.  But if you were close, they will look a little closer.

Because you ARE borderline, you can do a couple of things to prepare.

1.  As most people have said - line up a co-sponsor.

2.  If you are NOT going to file your 2019 returns prior to the interview, then you need to get a letter from your employer stating when you started your job (September 2019), and what your hourly rate is, and what your annual salary will be. 

If the questions about 2019 earnings come up, you will have to be honest and say you haven't filed yet.  If they ask you what your approximate earnings will be for 2019, YOU MUST NOT LIE.  You can say that you changed jobs in 2019, that you have a great new job, and then produce the letter from your employer stating your salary.

Just so you know - if the questions come up, you will most likely be required to find a joint sponsor.  I want you to prepare for the worst - so start asking around.

Best of luck to you!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sukie said:

2.  If you are NOT going to file your 2019 returns prior to the interview,

He has already filed his 2019 returns.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.