Sarge2155

February 2020 AOS Filers

4,064 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, LilyKins said:

This might not be the right place to ask, but -- do any of you know how to go about applying for emergency AP, and if its possible during this time? I have received news that a family member back home (in Canada) is very unwell (non-COVID related) and has been admitted to the hospital. I want to be prepared in advance, should her condition deteriorate, so I know how to quickly apply if necessary. 

As well -- do any of you have thoughts regarding the border? I know it is currently closed to all but "essential" traffic, but I would think this counts. Do you think I'd have a problem getting back into the USA? I'm weighing the options and appreciate input.

Hi! I was able to receive an emergency AP in Dec 2019 literally 5 days after I arrived in the US. I am also from Canada. The emergency happened while we were in Montreal visiting the embassy. Because I had arrived in the US in Aug 2019 and then rented a car to drive to Montreal to complete my interview I had to come back to the US with the vehicle before obtaining AP and going back to Canada. Disaster. 

Anyways, totally possible. I, out of sheer desperation, just walked into my local office and pleaded my case and they helped me out. Because of COVID all offices are closed. I would proceed with an expedite request and explain your situation. I would think this qualifies (assuming it’s life threatening). 

Google how to proceed with an expedite request through USCIS. 

Best of luck 

Edited by Zsazsa

3 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Hi! I was able to receive an emergency AP in Dec 2019 literally 5 days after I arrived in the US. I am also from Canada. The emergency happened while we were in Montreal visiting the embassy. Because I had arrived in the US in Aug 2019 and then rented a car to drive to Montreal to complete my interview I had to come back to the US with the vehicle before obtaining AP and going back to Canada. Disaster. 

Anyways, totally possible. I, out of sheer desperation, just walked into my local office and pleaded my case and they helped me out. Because of COVID all offices are closed. I would proceed with an expedite request and explain your situation. I would think this qualifies (assuming it’s life threatening). 

Google how to proceed with an expedite request through USCIS. 

Best of luck 

Thank you! 🙏

02/22/20 -- AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-864/I-765/I-131) sent to USCIS

02/25/20 -- Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

03/17/20 -- Cheques cashed and text messages received

03/20/20 -- Received NOAs in the mail (I-130/I-486/I-765/I-131)

05/04/20 -- Received I-693 courtesy letter

10/11/20 -- Received biometrics notice (finally! Yay!)

10/21/20 -- Biometrics (I485/I765 Code 3, I-131 Code 2 in Hartford, CT)

10/23/20 -- Biometrics applied to all cases (I-485/I-765/I-131)

10/27/20 -- Case ready to be scheduled for an interview (location unknown 😅)

11/12/20 -- Second biometrics appointment (I-131, Code 2, in Pittsburgh, PA)

01/20/21 -- I-765 Expedite Request Submitted

01/29/21 -- I-765 Expedite Request Approved

02/01/21 -- I-765/I-131 Approved

02/16/21 -- Interview was Scheduled

02/17/21 -- Interview confirmed to be scheduled at the wrong FO, request to reschedule interview initiated

03/16/21 -- Interview cancelled, entered into scheduling queue for the correct FO

05/14/21 -- Interview rescheduled

06/25/21 -- Interview completed in Pittsburgh, approved on the spot 🙏❤️ 

Just now, Letspaintcookies said:

You probably need the medical records or a doctor's note as evidence

If it's  medically related I'm  sure documentation will be needed.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

3 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

5 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

You probably need the medical records or a doctor's note as evidence

Absolutely! If it came down to me needing to go, I'd be able to get that from the hospital she's in. I haven't yet done biometrics -- that's a problem, right?

02/17/21 -- Interview confirmed to be scheduled at the wrong FO, request to reschedule interview initiated

03/16/21 -- Interview cancelled, entered into scheduling queue for the correct FO

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

@Sarge2155 @Letspaintcookies

i did not require these docs as evidence. Perhaps because they could see I was physically distressed - who knows. It was my exhusband, father of my children, who had suffered a series of strokes. They were unsure if he was going to pull through and I wanted my children to see him. I did not produce any physical evidence but was able to tell them what happened, at what hospital he was located, etc etc 

again, no evidence was requested but perhaps because I showed up in person. I am assuming that asking for expedition over the phone will require some form of explanation/evidence. 

3 minutes ago, LilyKins said:

Absolutely! If it came down to me needing to go, I'd be able to get that from the hospital she's in. I haven't yet done biometrics -- that's a problem, right?

Not an issue. I had not done bios at the time. 

15 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

@Sarge2155 @Letspaintcookies

i did not require these docs as evidence. Perhaps because they could see I was physically distressed - who knows. It was my exhusband, father of my children, who had suffered a series of strokes. They were unsure if he was going to pull through and I wanted my children to see him. I did not produce any physical evidence but was able to tell them what happened, at what hospital he was located, etc etc 

again, no evidence was requested but perhaps because I showed up in person. I am assuming that asking for expedition over the phone will require some form of explanation/evidence. 

Not an issue. I had not done bios at the time. 

I am so sorry this happened to you! Her condition is much less acute, but the outlook is still grim. I hope you and your children were able to recover.. things like this are so heartbreaking ❤️ None the less, I'm always happy to provide evidence as required, given that we have nothing to hide.

Bios not done prior to the closures though, I'm thinking might pose a problem. As far as the AP/EAD combo go, does emergent AP give you the combo card or just AP? We applied for both with the 131 & 765.

Timeline
Just now, LilyKins said:

I am so sorry this happened to you! Her condition is much less acute, but the outlook is still grim. I hope you and your children were able to recover.. things like this are so heartbreaking ❤️ None the less, I'm always happy to provide evidence as required, given that we have nothing to hide.

Bios not done prior to the closures though, I'm thinking might pose a problem. As far as the AP/EAD combo go, does emergent AP give you the combo card or just AP? We applied for both with the 131 & 765.

Thank you! Surprisingly, he has pulled through and is working daily to recover. 

The expedite I received did not push along my other applications at any rate. They had issued me a ‘temporary AP’ which was only good for 2 month. And under advice from the agent I was working with, at my field office - I had to get married ASAP. So, yeah, the next day I was married, and returned to the field office with my marriage certificate. Not the wedding I had  in mind. 

We all laughed though - had to get married just to go see my exhusband. Imagine that. 

No bios were done at the time. To date, still waiting on EAD/AP/GC. 

25 minutes ago, LilyKins said:

There is a couple of cases here on VJ where the combo card was approved without having had biometrics yet, but and I say but the biometrics were done PRIOR to the issue of the actual card. These are recent cases too so it's fairly recent and new. I forget where I saw the post but its here in the AOS threads somewhere.

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

3 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Thank you! Surprisingly, he has pulled through and is working daily to recover. 

The expedite I received did not push along my other applications at any rate. They had issued me a ‘temporary AP’ which was only good for 2 month. And under advice from the agent I was working with, at my field office - I had to get married ASAP. So, yeah, the next day I was married, and returned to the field office with my marriage certificate. Not the wedding I had  in mind. 

We all laughed though - had to get married just to go see my exhusband. Imagine that. 

No bios were done at the time. To date, still waiting on EAD/AP/GC. 

Glad it worked out that way for you, thanks for sharing.

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
Just now, Sarge2155 said:

Glad it worked out that way for you, thanks for sharing.

I try to be clear that it was not easy at any rate. Also, that it was not in efforts to get put to the front of the line. When I was desperate, and still in Montreal waiting for my passport to be processed, I had posed the question on another thread here and was basically berated for trying to ‘break the rules’ or ‘cheat the system’ which was absolutely not the case. I was completely gutted by others lack of sympathy/empathy and lack of wanting to understand. It’s important to me that when someone comes forth with a Similar situation, I provide a response tgat is factual, without assumptions or judgements. My past experience on this forum was not inspiring. At all. 

You, @Sarge2155 , I know will get what I am saying because in all of your responses you have been factual, compassionate, positive and uplifting. I see you! Thank you. 

1 minute ago, Zsazsa said:

I try to be clear that it was not easy at any rate. Also, that it was not in efforts to get put to the front of the line. When I was desperate, and still in Montreal waiting for my passport to be processed, I had posed the question on another thread here and was basically berated for trying to ‘break the rules’ or ‘cheat the system’ which was absolutely not the case. I was completely gutted by others lack of sympathy/empathy and lack of wanting to understand. It’s important to me that when someone comes forth with a Similar situation, I provide a response tgat is factual, without assumptions or judgements. My past experience on this forum was not inspiring. At all. 

You, @Sarge2155 , I know will get what I am saying because in all of your responses you have been factual, compassionate, positive and uplifting. I see you! Thank you. 

I'm  very sorry that you were treated that way, but it takes all kinds of people all kinds of opinions and attitudes and you know what they say about opinions!

I'm just very glad that you did not clam up due to the way you were treated about your experience. Just know that most people  here do genuinely care. Thank you too for the very kind words.

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Sarge2155 said:

There is a couple of cases here on VJ where the combo card was approved without having had biometrics yet, but and I say but the biometrics were done PRIOR to the issue of the actual card. These are recent cases too so it's fairly recent and new. I forget where I saw the post but its here in the AOS threads somewhere.

I saw it too. It's under a thread called "EAD" for AoS from the work/student/tourist visa forum.

2 hours ago, Gak said:

I saw it too. It's under a thread called "EAD" for AoS from the work/student/tourist visa forum.

Thank you for this,  I could not remember  where I saw it.

Citizenship Complete!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.