laylalex

The Beauty Thread

869 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 12/25/2021 at 9:55 PM, laylalex said:

my husband and I were in a Sephora (no, I don't always have to drag him there at knifepoint)

Early in the marriage, I knew that I was sunk when I found myself holding two large handfuls of on-sale underwear in the crowded checkout line at Victoria's Secret while Mrs. T-B. went back for more.  Fortunately, testosterone level was only temporarily affected.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

So for the past few weeks I have read article after article about the new Charlotte Tilbury Beautiful Skin foundation which is supposed to be a game-changer. Medium coverage with a "lit from within" glow, beauty editors are calling it one of the very best foundations out there. A sampling of the gushing praise:

https://www.allure.com/story/charlotte-tilbury-beautiful-skin-foundation-review

https://www.glamour.com/story/charlotte-tilbury-beautiful-skin-foundation-lives-up-to-the-name

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/charlotte-tilbury-beautiful-skin-foundation-review

I'm a sucker for new stuff, so I wanted to give it a shot. But... apparently my shade is one of the more popular ones. I waited a couple of weeks until I could find it in stock online. It wasn't even in stock offline -- I checked the Sephora website regularly, along with Nordstrom, Saks, etc. Finally my tube arrived (and wow, fast shipping -- I ordered on Thursday afternoon and it arrived less than 24 hours later on Friday). Yesterday I gave it a test run.

First off, yes -- it is $44. But a little goes a long way -- I used a pump and a half and blended with a foundation brush (I have recently switched from a beautyblender sponge to a densely-packed Dior brush), and I could have used half a pump less. I look like I'm gently glowing -- not the full blast of a highlighter, just healthy. Given that I am recovering from the flu, this is much appreciated. It blends easily into the skin and crucially doesn't bunch up in the creases around my nose or underneath my eyes. Even more crucially, I don't look like I'm wearing foundation -- I look like me, without rosacea or the greyness of someone getting over the flu. 

Will it replace my all time favorite, Dior Forever Undercover? Hm, not sure. The color match was very good (I went for 5N, which is a light-medium neutral) but I have a peach undertone that the neutral doesn't quite match. I've tried the 5W in another CT formulation and I looked like an oompa-loompa with it on, and the 4N was too light. But this is very much a "me and my weird skintone" problem, and not a problem with the CT Beautiful Skin.

Long story short, the reviews are correct -- this stuff is pretty awesome. You don't look cakey, it's buildable but a very thin single layer covers a lot of sins. It's moisturizing, but doesn't leave an oily girl like me looking like a grease slick. And most of all that low grade glow is pretty great.

Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

for the past few weeks I have read article after article about the new Charlotte Tilbury Beautiful Skin foundation

Oh, so have I, LL ma'am! :lol: 

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing in my Social Media feeds, most odd.

How much do you get for $44, how many applications?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, laylalex said:

So for the past few weeks I have read article after article about the new Charlotte Tilbury Beautiful Skin foundation which is supposed to be a game-changer. Medium coverage with a "lit from within" glow, beauty editors are calling it one of the very best foundations out there. A sampling of the gushing praise:

https://www.allure.com/story/charlotte-tilbury-beautiful-skin-foundation-review

https://www.glamour.com/story/charlotte-tilbury-beautiful-skin-foundation-lives-up-to-the-name

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/charlotte-tilbury-beautiful-skin-foundation-review

I'm a sucker for new stuff, so I wanted to give it a shot. But... apparently my shade is one of the more popular ones. I waited a couple of weeks until I could find it in stock online. It wasn't even in stock offline -- I checked the Sephora website regularly, along with Nordstrom, Saks, etc. Finally my tube arrived (and wow, fast shipping -- I ordered on Thursday afternoon and it arrived less than 24 hours later on Friday). Yesterday I gave it a test run.

First off, yes -- it is $44. But a little goes a long way -- I used a pump and a half and blended with a foundation brush (I have recently switched from a beautyblender sponge to a densely-packed Dior brush), and I could have used half a pump less. I look like I'm gently glowing -- not the full blast of a highlighter, just healthy. Given that I am recovering from the flu, this is much appreciated. It blends easily into the skin and crucially doesn't bunch up in the creases around my nose or underneath my eyes. Even more crucially, I don't look like I'm wearing foundation -- I look like me, without rosacea or the greyness of someone getting over the flu. 

Will it replace my all time favorite, Dior Forever Undercover? Hm, not sure. The color match was very good (I went for 5N, which is a light-medium neutral) but I have a peach undertone that the neutral doesn't quite match. I've tried the 5W in another CT formulation and I looked like an oompa-loompa with it on, and the 4N was too light. But this is very much a "me and my weird skintone" problem, and not a problem with the CT Beautiful Skin.

Long story short, the reviews are correct -- this stuff is pretty awesome. You don't look cakey, it's buildable but a very thin single layer covers a lot of sins. It's moisturizing, but doesn't leave an oily girl like me looking like a grease slick. And most of all that low grade glow is pretty great.

Thank you - after reading some reviews, I was going to ask if you tried it yet.  I am afraid the coverage is going to be too much, so I will try to sample it/colour match in person.  I usually go with moisturizer and sunscreen, touch of concealer if needed, then up it to tinted moisturizer when I feel like it.   Foundation is for very special events - I guess I am lucky my bare skin looks alright, or that I am blind to my flaws?  :lol:

44 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Nothing in my Social Media feeds, most odd.

How much do you get for $44, how many applications?

I would guess I will probably get 90-100 applications, depending on how much I use. I have an excellent concealer already, so I don't need to really build coverage that much. 100 applications is about 4 months of regular (but not every day) use, and you really don't want to want to use foundation that's been opened more than 4 months ago. So it's good value for money, in my books. There is a beautiful Dior Flash spray foundation that is way more expensive, and because the coverage was more sheer, I really used it up quickly. You get what you pay for in cosmetics. Sometimes there's a real bargain that does everything right, like the elf CC Camo Cream ($14) but that's rare.

Just now, Lemonslice said:

Thank you - after reading some reviews, I was going to ask if you tried it yet.  I am afraid the coverage is going to be too much, so I will try to sample it/colour match in person.  I usually go with moisturizer and sunscreen, touch of concealer if needed, then up it to tinted moisturizer when I feel like it.   Foundation is for very special events - I guess I am lucky my bare skin looks alright, or that I am blind to my flaws?  :lol:

It can be buffed down to a more sheer coverage, if you're concerned about that. I like something in between -- mask the red, let the better stuff show -- most days. On badbadbad red days, it's full strength -- the elf CC Camo cream or the CT Flawless Airbrush, with the Danessa Myricks Cream Cover as a concealer. 

For sheer/light, the Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder is great, and I have gone back to my NARS tinted moisturizer because it's just so good. I am that person who puts on makeup even when she has the flu (like I have this past week) and the NARS was perfect to keep me looking less like oatmeal. :lol: 

And being blind to flaws is not a bad way to treat beauty. :) We're all pretty gorgeous, just as we are.

NARS Tinted moisturizer is my current favourite / with coverage matching my needs (current - there was a old Clarins Éclat something that was great).

In other beauty adjacent news, my husband got me some perfume for Christmas, and I was initially worried, because it was new (to me), and when perfume does not suit someone, it is worse than no perfume at all.  But, it is amazing!  Delina, eau de parfum, by Parfums de Marly.  I have a new stop planned the next time I'm in France.  Downside is the price, so I use it sparingly.  

I have seen the Delina online and wondered if it was good -- such a pretty bottle. :) I also have a husband who buys me pricey perfume untested so I understand the hesitancy -- so much of a chance that you'll hate it on yourself. But one of the scents I like most on myself was one he bought because he loved the bottle and knows I love gourmand scents. Dates Delight by The House of Oud. https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/The-House-of-Oud/Dates-Delight-37820.html

I just bought myself a big bottle of Whispers in the Library by Maison Margiela. When I write (I'm writing a novel), I choose different scents to try to put me in different moods for what I'm writing about. WITL gets me very reflective, very moody. And I love Yes I Do by Etat Libre d'Orange for when I want to write lighthearted stuff, and Tom Ford's Lost Cherry for the darkest bits. Yes, this is weird. :lol: 

Timeline

This thread continues to be written in completely mystifying Non-Guy language...

• 2 weeks later...

Today I learned that Sephora sells a variety of "personal massagers." :lol:

I bought lipsticks instead. Boring! Also, less likely to elicit a comment of "what the eff is this thing?" at home.

Reviews to follow. Of lipsticks only!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay lipstick reviews:

Natasha Denona "I Need a Rose" Lipstick in Daphne: https://www.natashadenona.com/i_need_a_rose_lipstick

Very moisturizing and pretty, but it wore off fast. Meh. I actually returned this because I was completely underwhelmed.

YSL "Slim Velvet Radical" in Beige Instinct: https://www.yslbeautyus.com/makeup/lips/lipstick/the-slim-velvet-radical-matte-lipstick/WW-50824YSL.html

This was another beigey pink (very into this shade at the moment) and while the staying power was fantastic, the shape of the lipstick makes it difficult to apply from the tube. Much better with a lip brush. Wearing power is about 4-6 hours, and it lasted through a bowl of pho. :) 

Other reviews:

Drybar "Liquid Glass Instant Glossing Rinse": https://www.sephora.com/product/drybar-liquid-glass-instant-glossing-rinse-P479950

Other people seem to love this but not me. It did ZERO for my hair. If anything, it weighed it down and made me have to speed up washing. Bleh.

Selena Gomez "Always An Optimist" Soft Radiance Setting Powder in True Peachhttps://www.sephora.com/product/rare-beauty-by-selena-gomez-always-an-optimist-soft-radiance-powder-P479345?skuId=2519072

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE I adore this! I only use a tiny bit to set under my eyes and on my nose and chin, but it controls shine without deadening glow. Only criticism is the packaging isn't to my taste, white plastic top which stains easily.

Sunday Riley "Luna" Sleeping Oil: https://sundayriley.com/products/luna-sleeping-night-oil

I have been wanting to post about this but I also wanted to give it a full month. Seriously, this is the best. My redness from rosacea has reduced considerably, and my pores look smaller. A little goes a long way -- I bought the small size, and I think I can probably get 4 months out of it, maybe more. I wake up looking well rested even when I'm not! I was worried about an oil since I am combo-oily but it doesn't make me any greasier. Note: NOT for use during pregnancy but since that's not something I'm getting into, I'm going to be using this forever. Or until I get bored. :P 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 3/2/2022 at 11:20 PM, laylalex said:

Okay lipstick reviews:

Natasha Denona "I Need a Rose" Lipstick in Daphne: https://www.natashadenona.com/i_need_a_rose_lipstick

Very moisturizing and pretty, but it wore off fast. Meh. I actually returned this because I was completely underwhelmed.

YSL "Slim Velvet Radical" in Beige Instinct: https://www.yslbeautyus.com/makeup/lips/lipstick/the-slim-velvet-radical-matte-lipstick/WW-50824YSL.html

This was another beigey pink (very into this shade at the moment) and while the staying power was fantastic, the shape of the lipstick makes it difficult to apply from the tube. Much better with a lip brush. Wearing power is about 4-6 hours, and it lasted through a bowl of pho. :) 

Other reviews:

Drybar "Liquid Glass Instant Glossing Rinse": https://www.sephora.com/product/drybar-liquid-glass-instant-glossing-rinse-P479950

Other people seem to love this but not me. It did ZERO for my hair. If anything, it weighed it down and made me have to speed up washing. Bleh.

Selena Gomez "Always An Optimist" Soft Radiance Setting Powder in True Peachhttps://www.sephora.com/product/rare-beauty-by-selena-gomez-always-an-optimist-soft-radiance-powder-P479345?skuId=2519072

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE I adore this! I only use a tiny bit to set under my eyes and on my nose and chin, but it controls shine without deadening glow. Only criticism is the packaging isn't to my taste, white plastic top which stains easily.

Sunday Riley "Luna" Sleeping Oil: https://sundayriley.com/products/luna-sleeping-night-oil

I have been wanting to post about this but I also wanted to give it a full month. Seriously, this is the best. My redness from rosacea has reduced considerably, and my pores look smaller. A little goes a long way -- I bought the small size, and I think I can probably get 4 months out of it, maybe more. I wake up looking well rested even when I'm not! I was worried about an oil since I am combo-oily but it doesn't make me any greasier. Note: NOT for use during pregnancy but since that's not something I'm getting into, I'm going to be using this forever. Or until I get bored. :P 

Thanks for the reviews.  Was the drybar product way too perfumed?  I had bought a travel size conditioner and it was terrible.  The product was okish (nothing better than a generic conditioner), but the smell!  Stronger than fake old spice extra strong.

I have been super busy and didn't get to shop, or beautify myself, much recently.  However I was able to get myself matched for the Charlotte Tilbury foundation (3N it is) and ordered it during the Sephora sale. 

Also, got a sample box of fragrance to be exchanged for my day-to-day bottle of Clean Skin Reserve (which is cheaper, and many others to try!)

Ok... Maybe you could guide me, I'm looking for a smudgeable eye crayon in medium to dark grey.  No shimmer.  I like the texture of the Laura Mercier caviar eye stick, but the Tuxedo will be too dark.

How's the writing going?