40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance moved over from England on the K-1 on August 27th, 2019 and we married October 5, 2019. He has a social security number but we are still waiting for our AOS to go through as we received and RFE. I'm wondering how to file taxes this year as either Head of Household or Married because to file as Head of Household, you and your spouse must file separately and not lived together for more than 6 months of the year. However, he's not even technically a permanent resident yet and not allowed to work, so can he even file taxes? I'm a little confused and my tax accountant wasn't entirely sure either.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

To file head of house, you and your spouse must have been apart for the last 6 months of 2019....You do not qualify to file as HOH.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/guide-to-filing-taxes-as-head-of-household/L4Nx6DYu9

"Considered unmarried

The IRS also requires all taxpayers who file as head of household to be "considered unmarried" as of the last day of the tax year. To be considered unmarried means:

• You file a separate return
  • You paid more than half of the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year
  • Your spouse did not live in the home during the last 6 months of the tax year
  • Your home was the main home for your child, step child, or foster child for at least 6 months of the tax year
  • You must be able to claim the child as a dependent
Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

To file head of house, you and your spouse must have been apart for the last 6 months of 2019....You do not qualify.

To qualify for the Head of Household filing status while married, you must:

• File your taxes separately from your spouse
  • Pay more than half of the household expenses
  • Not have lived with your spouse for the last 6 months of the year
  • Provide the principle home of a qualifying dependent
  • Claim an exemption for your dependent

If you meet all of these requirements, you may file as Head of Household while married.

We didn't live together for 6 months of the year so I should qualify but I'm confused about the first one where the spouse file separately since he's not a citizen yet and has had no income because he's not allowed to work yet. 

Timeline
Just now, Pooley said:

To qualify for the Head of Household filing status while married, you must:

• File your taxes separately from your spouse
  • Pay more than half of the household expenses
  • Not have lived with your spouse for the last 6 months of the year
  • Provide the principle home of a qualifying dependent
  • Claim an exemption for your dependent

If you meet all of these requirements, you may file as Head of Household while married.

We didn't live together for 6 months of the year so I should qualify but I'm confused about the first one where the spouse file separately since he's not a citizen yet and has had no income because he's not allowed to work yet. 

No, you do not qualify......It's DURING the last 6 months...not FOR the last 6 months......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, missileman said:

No, you do not qualify......It's DURING the last 6 months...not FOR the last 6 months......

Oh okay, thank you. So I should be claiming Married but should it be jointly or separately? Can/does my husband file? 

2 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Oh okay, thank you. So I should be claiming Married but should it be jointly or separately? Can/does my husband file? 

If he has a SSN or ITIN file jointly.   You can apply for ITIN while filing taxes.

Otherwise you file separately.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Pooley said:

1.  Married Filing Jointly-  He must have a SSN or ITIN (can be applied during filing).  His worldwide income for all of 2019 would be reported....His foreign income can possibly be excluded.

2.  Married Filing Separately-  If he had significant income before arriving, it might be advantageous for him to file as a dual status resident for 2019.......then only US based income would have to be reported.  You would also have to file as "Married Filing Separately".

In the first year, it is always better to run the numbers under both scenarios or consult a competent tax professional before filing as there are sometimes many variables which affect the final tax liability.....just my opinion.......

Edited by missileman

Hi again Pooley ! i remember you from the K1 forum, glad to see everything got sorted with the medical history stuff in the end and congrats on your marriage !

As for taxes, we`re probably going to file jointly and therefore im treated as resident for tax purposes, did your husband recieve a P45 from his last employment ? thats a good way to know how much income he recieved and how much tax he paid, and makes it easier to fill in his side of the taxes.

Edited by skjourney

Timeline
1 minute ago, skjourney said:

Hi again Pooley ! i remember you from the K1 forum, glad to see everything got sorted with the medical history stuff in the end and congrats on your marriage !

As for taxes, we`re probably going to file jointly, did your husband recieve a P45 from his last employment ? thats a good way to know how much income he recieved and how much tax he paid, and makes it easier to fill in his side of the taxes.

No he didn't since he moved here in August but I'll have him look into that. Thank you!

Did the foreigner earn more than $105,900 USD in 2019?

No, file MFJ.

Can only paper file.

Submit a letter with your paper filed taxes electing both of you to be considered Resident Aliens for the entire tax year.

Report the foreign income on Form 2555. Earnings will be excluded from US taxation because less than above amount.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Did the foreigner earn more than $105,900 USD in 2019?

No, file MFJ.

Can only paper file.

Submit a letter with your paper filed taxes electing both of you to be considered Resident Aliens for the entire tax year.

Report the foreign income on Form 2555. Earnings will be excluded from US taxation because less than above amount.

Okay, he barely made anything as it was mostly a part time job that was hourly. 

22 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Okay, he barely made anything as it was mostly a part time job that was hourly. 

Even is he made nothing, you will usually pay lower taxes overall filing jointly.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Pooley said:

My fiance moved over from England on the K-1 on August 27th, 2019 and we married October 5, 2019. He has a social security number but we are still waiting for our AOS to go through as we received and RFE. I'm wondering how to file taxes this year as either Head of Household or Married because to file as Head of Household, you and your spouse must file separately and not lived together for more than 6 months of the year. However, he's not even technically a permanent resident yet and not allowed to work, so can he even file taxes? I'm a little confused and my tax accountant wasn't entirely sure either.

To keep it simple, filing jointly with him will be your cheapest choice. You could file Married Filing Separately and he file nothing, but your taxes will be higher than a joint filing. There is a forum just for taxes. Find it and start reading. 

I'll just point out in case others read this thread later...

The FEIE may apply. There has to be a tax treaty with the country. The UK has one with the US so it applies here. It may or may not apply to others...do your research.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

We were in nearly the same situation in 2018, and we filed MFJ after running the numbers.  

Edited by Jorgedig
Wonky

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.