AS1965

Dual nationalities Trump ban(merged)

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Good morning everyone, my question is: I am a US citizen and I applied greencard for my husband, my husband is Iranian Canadian and he has 2 citizenship. We are in NVC prossecing now for CR1 visa and we have to start DS260. When I login in NVC website his foreign state of chargeability is Iran because his birth place is Iran, is Trump immigration ban affect dual citizenship as well? Or we will be ok because of his other nationality  ( Canadian). 

8 minutes ago, A1977 said:

Good morning everyone, my question is: I am a US citizen and I applied greencard for my husband, my husband is Iranian Canadian and he has 2 citizenship. We are in NVC prossecing now for CR1 visa and we have to start DS260. When I login in NVC website his foreign state of chargeability is Iran because his birth place is Iran, is Trump immigration ban affect dual citizenship as well? Or we will be ok because of his other nationality  ( Canadian). 

Dual nationals with citizenship of one of the countries in that executive order are subject to the higher levels of vetting, yes.  My guess is that you may experience a lengthy post-interview AP.

Filed: Other Timeline
1 minute ago, A1977 said:

Thank you for replied, my processing for I 130 was very smooth and I got approvoval in less than a year not even a month later my case transferred to NVC, I though our case is different but another way I heard they limited family based visa application even if you are not part of those restricted country and mostly they will approve application based on skills 

1 hour ago, A1977 said:

Thank you for replied, my processing for I 130 was very smooth and I got approvoval in less than a year not even a month later my case transferred to NVC, I though our case is different but another way I heard they limited family based visa application even if you are not part of those restricted country and mostly they will approve application based on skills 

Are you not a US citizen?  There is no numerical limit for visas for spouses of US citizens, nor do skills enter into it in any way.

1 minute ago, A1977 said:

Yes I am a US citizen but the problem is my husband is Iranian Canadian citizen and I heard there is a huge possibilities for getting denial based on his birthplace

Yes, well that is different than alleging that there are numerical limits to such visas, or that the beneficiary's skills enter into the process.

Like I pointed out to you originally, his Iranian citizenship will very likely cause additional scrutiny/vetting in the form of background checks.  There is no way around this unfortunately.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
45 minutes ago, A1977 said:

Is Iranian Canadian affecting by Trump ban for getting immigration visa based on family? 

US embassy will process visa application based on birthplace even for dual citizenship?

Dual citizens are not banned, even if your birth place is currently on the banned list.  If your family member has a Canadian passport, they will use that to apply. 

The dual citizen should probably expect a long time in administrative processing, though. 

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

48 minutes ago, A1977 said:

Is Iranian Canadian affecting by Trump ban for getting immigration visa based on family? 

US embassy will process visa application based on birthplace even for dual citizenship?

Please do not start multiple threads on the same subject.

As mentioned, yes, an Iranian dual national will be vetted as such.

• Ontarkie changed the title to Dual nationalities Trump ban(merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate threads merged, Please do not start more than one thread for the same topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

4 hours ago, JennaL said:

Dual citizens are not banned, even if your birth place is currently on the banned list.  If your family member has a Canadian passport, they will use that to apply. 

The dual citizen should probably expect a long time in administrative processing, though. 

Actually, having dual nationality doesn’t mean you pick and choose nationality.. most people who have multi-nationality generally identify as one specially, country of birth... current residency and citizenship is used for travel Only.. 

Either way you need to disclose citizenship, so it dosent really make any difference which passport you use. 

I hold citizenship to 3 countries currently but I’m Australian and always will be and I highly suspect that means very little particularly when comparing it with someone who has citizenship of a Banned country. 

I dont expect to be held up in AP for holding multi-citizenship, and haven’t heard of anyone from my country being held up because of it (generally most Aussies have least dual citizenship automatically via commonwealth default)

i would suspect banned county citizen be vetted harder though. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

Actually, having dual nationality doesn’t mean you pick and choose nationality.. most people who have multi-nationality generally identify as one specially, country of birth... current residency and citizenship is used for travel Only.. 

Either way you need to disclose citizenship, so it dosent really make any difference which passport you use. 

I hold citizenship to 3 countries currently but I’m Australian and always will be and I highly suspect that means very little particularly when comparing it with someone who has citizenship of a Banned country. 

I dont expect to be held up in AP for holding multi-citizenship, and haven’t heard of anyone from my country being held up because of it (generally most Aussies have least dual citizenship automatically via commonwealth default)

i would suspect banned county citizen be vetted harder though. 

Right. I am just going by my own personal experience. My fiancé is originally from Iran, like the OP, but has been a Norwegian citizen for 15 years now and applied for his K1 visa using his Norwegian passport. You’re right, people with a connection to a banned country weather still living there or not, are vetted harder. We’ve been in AP for 16 months now because of this. 

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.