Livmor

K-1 221g requested one document and passport

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, 

I just had my K1 interview, where I found out I had the wrong type of police background check, so I was issued a refusal 221g letter that clearly states I need to send them the correct police certificate and my passport. The lady at the time told me what she was doing and phrased it as "this is what you need to do to overcome it'

Obviously I'm going to do that, but also obviously I'm freaking out because I'm terrified of being rejected.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

And does anyone know if it's a good sign that they're asking for my passport directly with the new police check? I can't find much on 221gs that aren't for administrative processing, 😣

It is actually very common to be given a 221g pending receipt of more/other documents.

Technically, we received one because my then-fiancé’s medical exam had been done only three days earlier, so the consulate hadn’t received it yet.  

The language she used about needing to “overcome” simply means that by law, they require a specific document in order for your file to be complete and eligible for approval.  

Don’t read too much into it.  Send the document and your passport, and expect an approval.  And yes, the request for the passport is a good sign.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Livmor said:

Hi, 

I just had my K1 interview, where I found out I had the wrong type of police background check, so I was issued a refusal 221g letter that clearly states I need to send them the correct police certificate and my passport. The lady at the time told me what she was doing and phrased it as "this is what you need to do to overcome it'

Obviously I'm going to do that, but also obviously I'm freaking out because I'm terrified of being rejected.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

And does anyone know if it's a good sign that they're asking for my passport directly with the new police check? I can't find much on 221gs that aren't for administrative processing, 😣

In reading your post I knew you were from Canada.   Hundreds have hit this very same snag.  Relax and do as you were instructed 

YMMV

4 hours ago, Livmor said:

Hi, 

Obviously I'm going to do that, but also obviously I'm freaking out because I'm terrified of being rejected. They told you at the interview that your application was approved once they receive the correct PC. So nothing here to be concerned about. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Millions. Did I just say Millions. Look through the history of this thread and the Canadian sub-forum where it is talked about all the time. Sorry you missed that part.

And does anyone know if it's a good sign that they're asking for my passport directly with the new police check? If they don't have your passport and your approved where are they going to place the visa?

I can't find much on 221gs that aren't for administrative processing, 😣 We have seen 221(g)'s for various reasons yours is not uncommon.

1. sub-forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

2. Here are the instructions for the P3 for the PC that is needed their in Canada

OBTAIN THE ORIGINAL POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE  Each visa applicant aged 16 years or older must submit a police certificate from every country  where he/she resided for at least 6 months after the age of 16.  Some countries require a specific Police Certificate Request form to properly request and  obtain Police Certificate(s).The Reciprocity by Country page indicates those countries.  Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable.  Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to obtain any U.S. police  certificates.  For more specific information please visit http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrantprocess/documents/Supporting_documents.html  

3. 221(g) explained: 

221(g) - Applications Pending Further Action

Section 221(g) - Hold

Refusal under Section 221(g) means that essential information is missing from an application or that an application has been placed on administrative hold. The consular officer who interviews you will tell you at the end of your interview if action on your case is being suspended under 221(g) pending further information. The officer will either tell you that the case has to undergo administrative processing, or will ask you to submit additional information.

If further information is required, the officer will tell you how to submit that information. As part of this process, the applicant is given a written letter and will have 12 months from the date of application to submit the requested documents without having to pay a new application fee. After one year, an application refused under Section 221(g) is terminated per Section 203(e).

If the Embassy requested additional information, you will submit those documents via the 2go courier service. Please read the 221(g) submission process for more information.

From <http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/221G-Hold.html>

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
4 hours ago, payxibka said:

In reading your post I knew you were from Canada.   Hundreds have hit this very same snag.  Relax and do as you were instructed 

Ha! Yeah, I feel like the consulate at Montreal is one of the most beaurocratic and specific which is insanely frustrating given the sometimes vague directions through this process. But given a lot of the discussions in this forum it's also a huge blessing, because I can trust that they aren't going to deny me for arbitrary reasons, or make me jump through more hoops for no reason only to deny me.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

It is actually very common to be given a 221g pending receipt of more/other documents.

Technically, we received one because my then-fiancé’s medical exam had been done only three days earlier, so the consulate hadn’t received it yet.  

The language she used about needing to “overcome” simply means that by law, they require a specific document in order for your file to be complete and eligible for approval.  

Don’t read too much into it.  Send the document and your passport, and expect an approval.  And yes, the request for the passport is a good sign.  

Thanks so much! It helps to know that others got the same form for missing one of the specific packet requirements and that it was fairly straightforward.

A lot of the threads I've found have been about further proof of relationship requests, or about requiring a co-sponsor or further financial proof for the 1-134. Because this is a technicality (they do have my other clean name based search, as well as my clean check from Ireland, preeeeetty sure they can extrapolate the lack of criminal record, but I get it) I wasn't sure how to read where in the process it puts me.

What I was afraid of was having further subjective review of my case without having the opportunity of the interview to explain things and present evidence.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Thanks @Greenbaum, I'll take millions over "never heard of it/bad sign" any day!!!

I'm really glad to hear hear the interpretation is that it's been approved all but for this document, it's been a huge stressor to be afraid of more assessment without the chance to talk to the CO in person. 

It's very reassuring to hear that because it is the consulate in Montreal, I can realistically assume they would have told me if there were other problems, not just given me the chance to rectify this only to deny me for some other reason later. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

It’s not bad. My fiancé’s interview was Sept 6. They wanted a new police report and some other documents. We sent it in and arrived Sept 25. His status changed about 4 times in the last week. Went back to AP 3 days ago and this morning it’s Issued. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

@rveenhof  Nothing really, Canada post lost my passport and the other documents for over a week, so they only got there this last monday 😑

I've been preventing myself from checking, I think I'd go crazy especially at this time of year when everything gets so slow. Are you in a similar situation?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Livmor said:

@rveenhof  Nothing really, Canada post lost my passport and the other documents for over a week, so they only got there this last monday 😑

I've been preventing myself from checking, I think I'd go crazy especially at this time of year when everything gets so slow. Are you in a similar situation?

Yeah thats a good idea not to check! Ive been checking every day for the last 6 weeks 😅 I’m in the same boat as you! (221g but for certified copies of divorce documents) I’m assuming and hoping to be issued early in the new year. Best of luck to you and keep me informed with your progress!! 🤞🏻

Timeline
On 12/21/2019 at 12:30 AM, rveenhof said:

Yeah thats a good idea not to check! Ive been checking every day for the last 6 weeks 😅 I’m in the same boat as you! (221g but for certified copies of divorce documents) I’m assuming and hoping to be issued early in the new year. Best of luck to you and keep me informed with your progress!! 🤞🏻

God this whole process is so stressful, this part is almost the worst because there's no standard, or any way to tell how long.... there's so many horror stories on here, it's hard not to get worried!!! 😥

Hope you hear soon, keep me updated as well! 

13 hours ago, Livmor said:

God this whole process is so stressful, this part is almost the worst because there's no standard, or any way to tell how long.... there's so many horror stories on here, it's hard not to get worried!!! 😥

In my many years of being here and also having completed every step through the visa to naturalization, I have come to realize that people put the stress on themselves. The process is so easy. You complete and submit the documentation required. USCIS, NVC and the Embassy have never promised you a date that they would be complete in their adjudication of your case. So setting expectations is your dilemma brought on by yourself. If you were to lower your expectations and stop comparing yourself to others you would have a more enriching journey.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

13 hours ago, Livmor said:

We need a little housekeeping on your end. Many of our answers are predicated on the information you supply in your profile. When we look at the left column and can't determine your timeline OR your Embassy it's hard for us to give you a factual answer. Our answers will sometimes be tailored to a specific Embassy hence the reason for you to complete your profile. If you look at the profile of others here, they have a flag for their country, so it makes it easy for us to reply as we can quickly determine their Embassy. The country that should be used is the country where the interview will take place.

So, if you could help yourself out and complete your profile that sure would help us out when we want to reply to your question with factual information.

Go to the top right of this page select your name (it's on the upper right-hand corner)>my profile>[below your picture on the right column] edit my profile. Scroll to the bottom and fill in "Immigration Info". There now we can better serve you.

Once you finish that then return and you will see a flag in your profile. Select it and see what wonderful information will open up for you.

Thanks

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

hey @Greenbaum,

I really appreciate you replying to me the first time when I asked a pretty panicked question. It honestly was good to know that this is a common situation. What's even more helpful, is knowing and being able to talk to other people in the same/similar situations, and being able to share that mutual stress when a lot of people outside of this community don't understand the pressures of the process. It has nothing to do with comparing anything, and everything to do with trying to understand a very opaque process. Other's people's journeys provide a lot of information and a lot of comfort. 

However, I did find your comments condescending and a bit rude, even if you didn't intend them that way. 

Frankly, bollocks to "enriching journey" I just want to get married. 

I'm really glad that your experience was as easy as just submitting all the required info. But I really, REALLY don't feel bad about being stressed because I find separation from the person I love distressing, and because the separation is causing me financial and career problems. I never said anything about expectations, so I'm not sure why you needed to defend the process so vehemently. Maybe i'll look back on this in five years and laugh about how stressed I was, but right now it makes me want to cry. I feel like that's true for a lot of people. It's more than a little insulting to be told by someone who doesn't know my situation that I'm bringing it on myself.

I really appreciate that you know this site very well, and that as a newbie I don't have everything set up properly yet, but that last comment came off a little like talking to a child who forgot to write their name on a test. Clearly you and severals others were able to give me the correct information when I first asked without problems. If my profile bothers you that much, then please feel free to not engage with my question. 

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.