sseo89

What are the chances of my wife's family getting b2

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My wife came to the states with a k1 visa and we got married in October. We are planning to do a ceremony and for our friends and family and we have chosen September 12 2020 to do it. I'm wondering what are the chances her family will be able to get a visitor's visa? Her mother is unemployed and is a farmer and lives off that. As far as her older brother goes he does have a house and his own business along with a wife and kids. If they were to come they would only be coming for 2 weeks and then return back to Vietnam.

The case for the mother sounds, at face value, not very strong. The brother probably has a better chance. Either way, only way to know is to try...it's 0% otherwise.

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Agree with geowrian above. It is very difficult to get visitor visa, especially if the ties are economically weak and have little or no history of international travel. If they have traveled overseas to non-Communist countries and returned on time, the odds may improve. They should try, but don't hold out too much hope. Maybe you should go to VN and have a big party - that's what we did last summer. My wife is from a tiny Red River farming village. We went there, took a lot of gifts, and stayed for a month. It was great. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It basically is not a chance based process, you will see people on here say 50/50 but that is of course a reference to the outcome, approved or denied.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 hours ago, sseo89 said:

okay thanks everyone.

Just have the ceremony over there in Vietnam. It is way cheaper. An average cost of a wedding in America is $30,000-$40,000. In Vietnam, $5,000 can give you a royal wedding. Just have a ceremony in the US for US family and friends and go back there next year to have the Vietnamese one. That's what my wife and I did. We actually had to do 2 weddings in Vietnam because my wife is from Hanoi and I am from Saigon so of course we had to do one in each of those city. 😂

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 11/19/2019 at 12:00 AM, sseo89 said:

Hello everyone,

My wife came to the states with a k1 visa and we got married in October. We are planning to do a ceremony and for our friends and family and we have chosen September 12 2020 to do it. I'm wondering what are the chances her family will be able to get a visitor's visa? Her mother is unemployed and is a farmer and lives off that. As far as her older brother goes he does have a house and his own business along with a wife and kids. If they were to come they would only be coming for 2 weeks and then return back to Vietnam.

I am investigating the same....here is a great post I just came across

Vietnam looks like less than 30% refusal 

Timeline
On 11/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, WandY said:

If they have traveled overseas to non-Communist countries and returned on time, the odds may improve. They should try, but don't hold out too much hope. 

I looked into this as an option to send my MIL to Thailand for a weeks vacation but an immigration attorney I spoke to says it’s probably a waste of time and money since there wouldn’t be any reason to stay inThailand versus reasons to stay in the US. In other words, there is reason to stay in the US due to daughter being here 

3 minutes ago, người nước ngoài said:

I looked into this as an option to send my MIL to Thailand for a weeks vacation but an immigration attorney I spoke to says it’s probably a waste of time and money since there wouldn’t be any reason to stay inThailand versus reasons to stay in the US. In other words, there is reason to stay in the US due to daughter being here 

I absolutely think your attorney is correct, we certainly see many examples of people who have travelled regionally around where they live being denied B visas. Even if they go to Europe for example, if no child there it’s not quite the same. That kind of traveling may (emphasize may, not will) “work” for visas for people without family ties in the US.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
12 minutes ago, người nước ngoài said:

My wife just recently got her green card and came here on the K1. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, it may be a bit easier to get the B2 on that status versus your wife being a USC because if your family does not return, then the green card status for ti spouse could be jeapordized? 

Also I think a 2 week or 3 week stay versus a 6 month stay will be more favorable even though I think a B2 can go up to 6 months...I think the longer the visit requested, the more of a raised eyebrow you’ll get. 

Then you have the factors of what are the ties to return....job, school etc....unfortunately it seems older people have a harder time getting the Visa. Owning land and having other children and grandchildren children in Vietnam doesn’t seem compelling enough for some reason. The other thing is to make sure that the reason given for a visit is purely for just that....to visit. If is mentioned that the stay is to help with the grand kids or something like that, then that would be deemed as “doing work”..

I am not 100% certain of anything I’m sharing and is purely anecdotal...keep digging to see what you can find out and never hurts to try. Anyone feel free to comment on my reply good, bad or indifferent as I am pondering the same scenario and need the help as well

thank you! And best of luck

Timeline
10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I absolutely think your attorney is correct, we certainly see many examples of people who have travelled regionally around where they live being denied B visas. Even if they go to Europe for example, if no child there it’s not quite the same. That kind of traveling may (emphasize may, not will) “work” for visas for people without family ties in the US.

Thank you SusieQQQ

hope you don’t mind I shared your findings above ☝️
thanks for that helpful resource 

Edited by người nước ngoài

Timeline

My MIL (from mainland China) got a B2 visa without any issues. She's retired, not super well off, and never really traveled anywhere except Hong Kong which basically doesn't count.

Because your wife doesn't have US citizenship your MIL cannot adjust status after entering on a B2, so that takes away a huge potential red flag. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.