Angela84

Driver’s license with pending I485 AOS (Florida)

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hello all,

I’m not sure if this topic was already opened I couldn’t find it so I started a new one...

Just wanted to share something happened today, this information might help for others too..

Previously I was calling my local DMV to ask about a temporary drivers license if I’m able to get it with the pending I130 and I 485 without having any EAD OR GC OR SSN ?? The answer was yes I can and the lady told me what to bring with me I didn’t needed appointment I was able to walk in so this morning I went there she looked over all the paperwork I had with me and she let me do the written test on the computer which was easy and I passed it,also took a photograph of me.

When I passed the written test they told me I can go back to do the road test by appointment only tomorrow so I’m very excited I’m going to get a 1 year Florida drivers license if everything goes well tomorrow it’s going to be in my hand🍀👏🙏😊🥰

The lady also told me once I have my green card in my hand I can go back and they give me the eight years old drivers license and I don’t have to do the tests anymore..

The reason I’m sharing this because I heard So many different stories people telling about different locations and states that they were not able to do that until they had the EAD in hand.

I’m sure every state and city are different so I’m just sharing my experience.

The documents I had to bring with me are the following:

- NOA1 I130

- NOA1 I485

- passport 

- previous passport where i had a stamp that im admitted to the country 

- marriage license 

- my husband’s passport ( proof of citizenship)

- 2 utility bill on my name to the current address

Good luck everyone!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Angela84 said:

Hello all,

I’m not sure if this topic was already opened I couldn’t find it so I started a new one...

Just wanted to share something happened today, this information might help for others too..

Previously I was calling my local DMV to ask about a temporary drivers license if I’m able to get it with the pending I130 and I 485 without having any EAD OR GC OR SSN ?? The answer was yes I can and the lady told me what to bring with me I didn’t needed appointment I was able to walk in so this morning I went there she looked over all the paperwork I had with me and she let me do the written test on the computer which was easy and I passed it,also took a photograph of me.

When I passed the written test they told me I can go back to do the road test by appointment only tomorrow so I’m very excited I’m going to get a 1 year Florida drivers license if everything goes well tomorrow it’s going to be in my hand🍀👏🙏😊🥰

The lady also told me once I have my green card in my hand I can go back and they give me the eight years old drivers license and I don’t have to do the tests anymore..

The reason I’m sharing this because I heard So many different stories people telling about different locations and states that they were not able to do that until they had the EAD in hand.

I’m sure every state and city are different so I’m just sharing my experience.

The documents I had to bring with me are the following:

- NOA1 I130

- NOA1 I485

- passport 

- previous passport where i had a stamp that im admitted to the country 

- marriage license 

- my husband’s passport ( proof of citizenship)

- 2 utility bill on my name to the current address

Good luck everyone!!

It happened to me! West Florida, they want me to wait for my EAD although I brought everything including my I-797. Yes its true that not all DMV's are the same. The staff may or may not let you get DL. Isn't it so unfair? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, bayfinest said:

It happened to me! West Florida, they want me to wait for my EAD although I brought everything including my I-797. Yes its true that not all DMV's are the same. The staff may or may not let you get DL. Isn't it so unfair? 

That’s not fair and im sorry to hear that you were not able to do it! EAD takes months and months waiting 😞 Have you tried calling different close cities dmv around you? You may have luck elsewhere..

Timeline
5 minutes ago, bayfinest said:

I just seen your profile,are you in Daytona beach?? Come to Saint Augustine Lewis speedway they will do it!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from AOS from W, S & T Visas - as the topic is about getting a FL DL.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, bayfinest said:

West Florida, they want me to wait for my EAD although I brought everything including my I-797. Yes its true that not all DMV's are the same.

Try a different office. I couldn't find a current edition of the "Acceptable Documents" PDF, but see page 17 (I-797 for I-485) of the 07/19/2017 edition: https://web.archive.org/web/20170830071436/https://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/aila/acceptabledocuments.pdf

Timeline
18 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Try a different office. I couldn't find a current edition of the "Acceptable Documents" PDF, but see page 17 (I-797 for I-485) of the 07/19/2017 edition: https://web.archive.org/web/20170830071436/https://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/aila/acceptabledocuments.pdf

Thanks! Yeah that's what Im seeing on some post here. Trying other county or city maybe. I don't understand why some staff are unaware about this. 

Timeline
Just now, bayfinest said:

Thanks! Yeah that's what Im seeing on some post here. Trying other county or city maybe. I don't understand why some staff are unaware about this. 

Did you see my previous message? Are you in Daytona beach Florida??

Timeline
2 hours ago, Angela84 said:

I just seen your profile,are you in Daytona beach?? Come to Saint Augustine Lewis speedway they will do it!!

Thats where my field office is. I live at gulf breeze NW of Florida. No haven't tried calling other dmv office  but I will try tomorrow. Thanks!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Angela84 said:

Did you see my previous message? Are you in Daytona beach Florida??

Yes I did!, I live at Gulf breeze. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Angela84 said:

I will take note on that. Is that near the race track?

Timeline

I had a FL driver's license before AOS. With I485's NOA they gave me a new 1yr DL without any fuss. Really depends on the office even within same county - I really disliked Clearwater,  whereas Largo office was great. Depends on the person who accepts the paperwork, there is no straightforward info on flhsmv.

Timeline
On 10/30/2019 at 8:24 PM, bayfinest said:

I will take note on that. Is that near the race track?

Kangaroos gas station 

I had the same experience with DMV in Pensacola. I was able to get a one year temporary drivers license about 3 weeks after my arrival in the US. I only provided my i-94, passport and USC husband's passport. We were not married yet then so no I-485 or marriage certificate. No billing address either.

I think the written test is hard though although I passed it. Lol. It's probably because I'm not a native english speaker and get easily confused with overly worded questions. 

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi! I have an appointment for the Tax office in Orlando for a new drivers license. Adjusting status too.

Has any one recently applied for one in Orlando? 

I have my 

NOA1 i130

NOA1 i485

Passport

Husbands passport

expired i94

proof of address

I applied to USCIS in my new married name but my passport is in my maiden name and some proof of address letters. Also I have a SSN number from a previous work visit years ago which isn’t in my married name. Hopefully that will be okay, I don’t think I have to provide SSN, it says the license has to be in the name that’s on USCIS documents so not sure how that works as I can’t change social security until USCIS issued EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.