JCo

SSN - almost two months now and still nothing

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! Has anyone experienced this before?

I applied for my SSN on Sept 3rd just a week after I arrived here. The local office said they would forward it to DHS for verification coz they couldnt do it in SAVE so we just said yes and did not argue. Almost two months now but my number still hasn't been created. I have been calling and inquiring at the local SSA about it till today when I was told to contact DHS to check it coz it seems stuck there. Called DHS but they said they don't check nor provide beneficiaries with SSN status. 

Also, I have already submitted my AOS (still waiting for NOA) wherein I checked the SSN part. However, I'm still hoping to get my SSN as soon as I can so I can start driving.

Any inputs on this? Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, JCo said:

I applied for my SSN on Sept 3rd just a week after I arrived here. The local office said they would forward it to DHS for verification coz they couldnt do it in SAVE so we just said yes and did not argue. Almost two months now but my number still hasn't been created. I have been calling and inquiring at the local SSA about it till today when I was told to contact DHS to check it coz it seems stuck there. Called DHS but they said they don't check nor provide beneficiaries with SSN status. 

Also, I have already submitted my AOS (still waiting for NOA) wherein I checked the SSN part. However, I'm still hoping to get my SSN as soon as I can so I can start driving.

If your i94 is still valid you may need to revisit SSA 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

If your i94 is still valid you may need to revisit SSA 

Yes, it's still valid. I did visit them just last week coz I planned to just reapply and they told me not to coz it's already in process. Maybe I should go back again tomorrow and try again. Argh, just frustrating being passed back and forth between these offices. 

Anyway, thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
15 minutes ago, JCo said:

We are having the same problem too. We applied on 08/22 and it said it was processed on 10/09. It turns out the mail person chose not to deliver the card to our apartment even though my wife's name was on the mailbox and they send it back to Maryland to get shredded. I am going back to the SSA office tomorrow I will let you know what they do.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, JCo said:

Yes, it's still valid. I did visit them just last week coz I planned to just reapply and they told me not to coz it's already in process. Maybe I should go back again tomorrow and try again. Argh, just frustrating being passed back and forth between these offices. 

Anyway, thanks!

Verify the mailing address.   Ours wasn't delivered because we failed to notate the address with C/O (in care of) and the USPS would not deliver 

YMMV

Timeline

I'm on the phone again with SSA as I type this. After reading some forums here, I came across someone who had the same number and shared the DHS direct number to contact which is 8884644218. The agent knew what she was doing and told me what to say to SSA in order for this to be processed.

So turned out that DHS responded to their verification inquiry on Sept 9th but SSA didn't know that 🤔 so I had to guide and tell them what to do. But now, the agent who created my case is not working today, so another day of waiting till I get hold of her tomorrow. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 10/28/2019 at 2:33 PM, USS_Voyager said:

For you, if a number was assigned, after verifying identity, the local SSA office can tell you the number. 

They gave us our number today but couldn't send a card as it was close to two weeks before the i-94 expires. Thank you for the information.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
On 10/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, JCo said:

I'm on the phone again with SSA as I type this. After reading some forums here, I came across someone who had the same number and shared the DHS direct number to contact which is 8884644218. The agent knew what she was doing and told me what to say to SSA in order for this to be processed.

So turned out that DHS responded to their verification inquiry on Sept 9th but SSA didn't know that 🤔 so I had to guide and tell them what to do. But now, the agent who created my case is not working today, so another day of waiting till I get hold of her tomorrow. 

sounds like someone at the SSA office needs to be better trained or be gone! I can't believe you had to explain to them how to do their job, that is disappointing.  maybe you should explain what you did so other members can do the same if they run into the same issue.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline
5 hours ago, Lebanese23 said:

sounds like someone at the SSA office needs to be better trained or be gone! I can't believe you had to explain to them how to do their job, that is disappointing.  maybe you should explain what you did so other members can do the same if they run into the same issue.

So we just decided to go to the SSA office coz we didn't get any calls from them after that agent promised me it will be prioritized. Guess what, they didn't process it. We got there and had to tell another agent again how it should be done coz he said there was nothing in their system. I think they could all hear the explanation I was doing coz they started coming out of their cubicles. Of course the lady who was in charge of my case was there but couldn't look at me coz she knew she messed up . Anyway, it seems that this is the first time they encountered this kind of case coz I saw all of them in a huddle discussing it. So after following what I "suggested" them to do, they told me I need to wait again for a few weeks for everything to be done. Oh well 😒

Timeline

And just an update (not a rant 😁).

I called today after checking case on SAVE,which clearly says that it was already verified and returned to the agency, and the first thing the SSA agent told me was that it's not in their system...again. I told her to access SAVE per DHS advice to me last time and she is saying that she couldnt do that. The thing is, if this had happened before when I didn't have enough info how it's done, I would just say ok.

However, I may not be an expert but I kinda know now that if you just settle with their answer, you will be left with no SSN so I pushed. I asked her how it is possible that she couldn't when her colleague did last time when I suggested this way. So she tried and tried but seems she really doesn't know how it works. She left me hanging on the phone for a good 15mins then came back to tell me that she will call me back once she finds an answer. 🤦 So no SSN again. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN, from AOS from K1/K3 - the topic is SSN~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We went through this same exact BS in applying for my wife's SSN.  Even involving the Congressman for our district, SSA couldn't ever get it issued.  We now have my wife's Green Card so we'll be going back next week to get it done. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.