lawh

Visa Approved but Doctor wants to send to a Psychologist with no Medical Reason or Find

21 posts in this topic

We received notice that my husbands interview was 10/18/19 in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. He arrived 10/9 and had his medical appt 10/10. He passed the medical exams. He went to the embassy and his visa was approved, except the agent said he never received his medical history. He was given back his passport and told we would receive an email with instructions on getting his visa once they received his medical history. My husband went back to the doctor and was told its not a big deal but I want you to see a psychologist. My husband passed everything....he has no criminal record in Honduras or the US, no DUI no history whatsoever of anything mental. The doctor said a request was sent to the embassy for a referral, but that was over a week ago. I was told once approved the embassy is pretty quick with stuff and they don't like to hold people up from traveling especially to get back to their families. What can we do? How do I know if a request was even sent to the embassy? It is very dangerous right now and my husband is scared they will close the embassy. Can anyone help?

If you were not there with your husband then you are not 100% that there is no reason for the request. Has your husband ever tried marijuana in his life? Or has your husband experienced depression? You say it is very dangerous there now, has your husband witness or experience something very bad in his life? These are things that could lead to a pysch review.

For now, the only thing he can do is go see the psychologist. Do as they request. If he wants a visa, he will have to complete everything the Embassy/CO requests.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

5 minutes ago, lawh said:

the only thing we can think of is he got upset with the assistants/receptionists and they were telling him to calm down, but I know my husband ...even upset he is not violent or aggressive. 

1 minute ago, lawh said:

no to marijuana and he is there sending me video of riots and police following americans....he just wants to come home to his family...who wouldnt be upset?

Don't take this personal but here is my response to that. In a country of civil unrest you husband reacted in a professional in a way in required the staff to tell him to "calm down". Yes, I can see why that may raise some eyebrows.

And you are making a huge mistake by saying that you know your husband and he is not violent because you are not being impartial. You know your husband. They do not. And with all that is going on, they have to be careful with anybody. And if I was a doctor who just met your husband and found out he acting in a way to my staff, I would make note of it also.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

making note and sending to a psychologist are 2 very different scenarios. Being away from your family and in an environment of unrest....I think a little understanding isnt too much to ask for..... i think its the doctor who forgets or does not have any idea of how immigrants are feeling.....I understand being cautious but I have read the technical guidelines doctors must follow and if there is no history to base an assumption on then it isnt valid

and i believe I am being impartial....these are peoples lives they are dealing with and you cannot tell me their bedside manner doesnt turn callous and unfeeling after awhile...it happens to everyone unless you are a Saint

Edited by lawh

My family is nothing but doctoirs and nurses...after awhile if you dont have regular patients you leave your empathy at home and its just a 9 to 5 job....

But thanks for your suggestions...thought I could find something useful from this website...but your answers are already combative so thanks again for your help... if thats what you call it

Edited by lawh

I'm sorry you are thinking that my answers are combative, They are not at all.

Often times you get answers from 3rd parties that see things differently than you do. It does not mean people are being malice. When I posted my response I did it by putting myself in the shoes of the CO, the doctor, and their staff. And I answered your question. Your (or your husband's case) is still active. It is not a straight denial. There is nothing more you can do except abide by the request of the embassy. That is the quickest and simplest way to get your husband his visa. Yes, everyone knows there is unrest. And they are doing what they can with what they have.

You are not the only person who is in this situation.

It is early in the morning so it may take some for others to chime in. Patience is the biggest resource you can posses during this process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

A week or two of waiting is not very long considering the overall US immigration process, I realize that it seems like an eternity when you want to be reunited with your husband, but your best path forward is to reassure your husband that soon he will hear from the embassy regarding an appointment with a psychologist.  The embassy chooses the doctors from their approved list, so all you can do is wait, he goes to the appointment, gets interviewed by the psychologist, then the results are sent to the embassy for review by an immigration officer who makes a decision about his visa application based on all the information in his file, including the confidential results of the medical and psychological evaluation.  Medical exam results are confidential, and not given to the beneficiary who was examined, so when you say "he passed his medical," this would be impossible for him to know as the results are sealed and sent to the embassy.  There must have been something in his medical history that prompted the doctor to request the psychological evaluation.  Patience is key here, you're almost done, stay positive and hopefully everything will be resolved so that you can be together soon.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

8 hours ago, lawh said:

the only thing we can think of is he got upset with the assistants/receptionists and they were telling him to calm down, 

And there is your reason. And Yes I am in the medical field and yes where I work that would get you a referral. 

No you cannot see any doctor but the approved doctor for the embassy in your area. 

Contact both the embassy and the doctor again if necessary. I dont see any other option currently. 

10 hours ago, lawh said:

he got upset with the assistants/receptionists and they were telling him to calm down,

Sounds like the panel physician was doing his/her job in that case.  In order to be a consulate-approved physician, they are required to comply with DOS expectations, and evidently one of them is a psych referral for certain behaviors.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.