AlexDRavn92

Getting your Social Security Number (SSN)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hello VisaJourney,

I am moving to the states in the end of October and have tried to figure out the whole SSN thing.

To my knowledge i would receive the SSN within 2 weeks, but is there anyway that i can get the actual number before?

Because to open a bank account, get drivers license and start my job i would need to have the SSN.

But it seems like a long time to wait a couple of weeks, to even open bank accounts and get a permission to drive.

Anybody knows if i can go to the local office and get the number, call or any way else?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If you checked the box on the DS-260 to receive a Social Security card, you will likely receive it in a few weeks after arrival......There is no faster way.  No, you can not get your SS card at a local post office.  The Social Security Administration is a whole separate division of the US government.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

To my knowledge i would receive the SSN within 2 weeks

Uhm that’s actually optimistic. In fact, I’ve never heard of anybody receiving it in two weeks. Three weeks is the minimum. In fact, that’s what the guy at the local Social Security Office told me, it usually takes 3-4 for information from immigration to transfer to the Social Security Administration.

You can go to the local office directly and if a number has been issued, they will tell you. If the number is issued, you will receive it in 3-4 days in the mail anyway.

Timeline
5 hours ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

Hello VisaJourney,

I am moving to the states in the end of October and have tried to figure out the whole SSN thing.

To my knowledge i would receive the SSN within 2 weeks, but is there anyway that i can get the actual number before?

Because to open a bank account, get drivers license and start my job i would need to have the SSN.

But it seems like a long time to wait a couple of weeks, to even open bank accounts and get a permission to drive.

Anybody knows if i can go to the local office and get the number, call or any way else?

I know we just have to wait, but I am struggling with this too! My husband arrives in less than a week, and we are trying to line up all the steps. Some banks let you open an account without an SSN? But those may require an ITIN which would probably take even longer to get than the wait for the already applied for SSN. Sorry I don't know a solution but this is definitely an issue! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN, from IR1/CR1 - as the question is about getting a SSN~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
8 hours ago, missileman said:

If you checked the box on the DS-260 to receive a Social Security card, you will likely receive it in a few weeks after arrival......There is no faster way.  No, you can not get your SS card at a local post office.  The Social Security Administration is a whole separate division of the US government.

I know i can't get it at the local post office.

But what I meant was, if i went to the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office, they might have the number in their system and could tell me the number.

But of course not hand me the actual card.

6 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Uhm that’s actually optimistic. In fact, I’ve never heard of anybody receiving it in two weeks. Three weeks is the minimum. In fact, that’s what the guy at the local Social Security Office told me, it usually takes 3-4 for information from immigration to transfer to the Social Security Administration.

You can go to the local office directly and if a number has been issued, they will tell you. If the number is issued, you will receive it in 3-4 days in the mail anyway.

Perfect, I will definitely try that!

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

But what I meant was, if i went to the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office, they might have the number in their system and could tell me the number.

But of course not hand me the actual card.

My husband arrived in the US two months ago.  He checked the box on the DS-260 to have the SS card mailed to him after POE.  The day after he arrived, we went to the SSA office and asked if he could apply for a SSN to speed up the process and they said that since the DS-260 box was checked, that he could not submit a duplicate request, to wait for the card to arrive in the mail.  They could not tell us the number because it had not yet been issued.  So we went home expecting to wait 2 or 3 weeks, and his SS card arrived a week later.  You can open a bank account at some banks without a SSN, all you need is your foreign passport.  For a driver's license, depending on the state you will need the SSN, evidence of residency, and the CR-1/IR-1 visa validated with entry stamp at POE.  Green cards are taking up to four months after POE.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

Yea....I think I misread your post....LOL.......anyway, my wife received her Social Security card 11 days after POE.......and I doubt you can start a job without the actual card........good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I hope you get it soon.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
14 hours ago, AlexDRavn92 said:

if i went to the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office, they might have the number in their system and could tell me the number.

I was able to get my daughters ss number before I had it in hand at the health department. 
I think it depends on where you live and how lenient they are to give it out. 
I had to provide my drivers license or “form of ID” and they were able to do a search for it and tell me when issued and wrote down the number for it. 
It may be be different when going through immigration, that I am unsure as she was a USC. It shouldn’t but can’t say for sure. 
You could definitely try and see if they can do the same for you.
Yes, it was the health department and not the social security office but the lady must have had a database to be able to give me the information.
Most govt offices are pretty close in proximity for my area so it was convenient for me.
Just throwing out what I recently did and if you need it prior, it wouldn’t hurt to at least try if your making a trip to the ss office as well.

Good luck and hope you can get this soon. 

Edited by Sarah n Ryan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.