28 posts in this topic

My grandmother is a US citizen and she filed petition for her 3 married children. The petition has been filed since 2006 and we have been waiting for it for 13 years. My grandmother has a cancer and her wish is to have her children here before anything happens to her. My question is, does she need a lawyer to follow up the petition? Or do we have to wait from the immigration about this? I hope someone can help us about this case. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing a Lawyer can do.

They have to wait for their Priority Date to become current.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Unfortunately, for that category, absolutely nothing can be done to speed it up. They have to wait.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Agreed...nothing can be done to speed it up. It’s just a waiting game.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, Mrs Thor said:

My grandmother is a US citizen and she filed petition for her 3 married children. The petition has been filed since 2006 and we have been waiting for it for 13 years. My grandmother has a cancer and her wish is to have her children here before anything happens to her. My question is, does she need a lawyer to follow up the petition? Or do we have to wait from the immigration about this? I hope someone can help us about this case. 

Unfortunately I don’t think there is anything a lawyer can do, it’s a case of having to wait for their PD to become current... 

perhaps have her children try the B2 route and make a short visit...? It’s not uncommon for people to do this, without having to immigrate... I’ve personally done it

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

F3 is already current to Sept 2007. If this petition was filed in 2006, they would have been eligible for visas months ago already if not longer. Suggest you contact NVC to find out why you have not been instructed to proceed further. 

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

F3 is already current to Sept 2007. If this petition was filed in 2006, they would have been eligible for visas months ago already if not longer. Suggest you contact NVC to find out why you have not been instructed to proceed further. 

Ahhh sorry i was on my mobile when I answered earlier, and missed that this is Philippines. So indeed no, nothing to do but wait.

2 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

Unfortunately I don’t think there is anything a lawyer can do, it’s a case of having to wait for their PD to become current... 

perhaps have her children try the B2 route and make a short visit...? It’s not uncommon for people to do this, without having to immigrate... I’ve personally done it

my father tried to come just to visit my grandmother but his visa always get denies due to the petition that is pending. thank you for this 

43 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Ahhh sorry i was on my mobile when I answered earlier, and missed that this is Philippines. So indeed no, nothing to do but wait.

thank you for the advice. i guess we just have to wait

2 hours ago, designguy said:

Also I believe if the petitioner dies prior to the I-130 being approved, the petition is automatically revoked.  

since i am in the US, if the petition is revoked, would i be able to file a petition for my parents (my parents by the way is the married son of my grandma that she filed a petition for)? 

3 hours ago, designguy said:

Lawyer will happily take your money and inquire for you. Don’t bother 

true thanks for the advice

13 minutes ago, Mrs Thor said:

since i am in the US, if the petition is revoked, would i be able to file a petition for my parents (my parents by the way is the married son of my grandma that she filed a petition for)? 

Parent of a USC would be a possible route for them

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

1 minute ago, Duke & Marie said:

Parent of a USC would be a possible route for them

thank you so much. this is such a great help

21 minutes ago, Mrs Thor said:

Are you a citizen? It would certainly be much faster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.