Falcon Cara

American Airline and Japan Airline flying to and fro Narita

42 posts in this topic

Looks like if you are flying into Narita you will have to switch airports and got to (HND)  Haneda.  They appear to be about 35 miles apart and about 1 to 1.5 hour transfer time.

I was checking flights in November of this year.   

ChickBoy

Filed: Timeline

Not a good idea if you have checked luggages because you have to claim them and then get on transfer bus. Depending on time of day, you have to worry about traffic or accidents. Also, they only allow 2 luggages on the bus so I don't know how that will work for two 50-lb check in and 1 carry on luggage + personal case for a typical filipino traveler going back to the philippines :)

Tried that going back to the US (HND then NRT) with 1 check in luggage and a layover in Tokyo and it's still a hassle. I would still like to do it if I don't need to bring anything heavy/big, especially on the way back to the US. I would prefer long layovers since you don't need to claim your check in luggages and at the same time get a quick side trip to Japan.

Edited by xyz12345

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Just Fly scheduled us for that exact connecting flight airport change (NRT & HND)  last year when we were flying back to the US from Taiwan.  I changed flights........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Why do people do that?  I just don't get it?  How much is time and effort and the transfer worth?  It is like $20 more to take Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and within an hour take a flight to the States.  I've done 12 trips and that Tokyo transfer always shows up but most of the time it isn't even the cheapest.  I really don't understand why people think lugging all their luggage between 2 airports in Japan is a good idea.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

9 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Why do people do that?  I just don't get it?  How much is time and effort and the transfer worth?  It is like $20 more to take Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and within an hour take a flight to the States.  I've done 12 trips and that Tokyo transfer always shows up but most of the time it isn't even the cheapest.  I really don't understand why people think lugging all their luggage between 2 airports in Japan is a good idea.

This is new for AA and Japan Airlines, in the past you always stayed in Narita Airport.

I don't like flying to Hong Kong, I find the airport ghetto and plus it is still China. 

I rather fly to Japan and onto PI, I wish they had a direct flight from Dallas to Philippines.  But I am not going to be transferring airports in Japan, that is just silly.

ChickBoy

3 minutes ago, Falcon Cara said:

This is new for AA and Japan Airlines, in the past you always stayed in Narita Airport.

I don't like flying to Hong Kong, I find the airport ghetto and plus it is still China. 

I rather fly to Japan and onto PI, I wish they had a direct flight from Dallas to Philippines.  But I am not going to be transferring airports in Japan, that is just silly.

WOW!  Hong Kong is one of the most beautiful and easiest airports to get around in.  Narita is nice but Haneda is awful.  Incheon is awesome too.  I've never heard any bad remarks about Hong Kong before and it is by far the best transfer airport I've used in my dozen or so trips.  

I've learned to avoid any American carriers for that trip.  Asian airlines are just better, more comfortable and have much better services.  I've done American and United.  I've turned down free trips on United just so I can have a good flight on EVA or Cathay.  I don't believe any American Carriers are even in the top 10 rated carriers in the world.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

7 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

WOW!  Hong Kong is one of the most beautiful and easiest airports to get around in.  Narita is nice but Haneda is awful.  Incheon is awesome too.  I've never heard any bad remarks about Hong Kong before and it is by far the best transfer airport I've used in my dozen or so trips.  

I've learned to avoid any American carriers for that trip.  Asian airlines are just better, more comfortable and have much better services.  I've done American and United.  I've turned down free trips on United just so I can have a good flight on EVA or Cathay.  I don't believe any American Carriers are even in the top 10 rated carriers in the world.

I am in Dallas we are pretty limited on flight to PI.  Years ago I used to use consolidators and fly multiply airlines to get to PI, Usually going to Las vegas or California and catching a Philippines based carrier.

I have been flying Delta the last few years since they have one stop in USA and then onto Japan and to PI.  American Airlines is based in Dallas so I have used them the last few trips since I have a ton of air miles accumulated.

Once I get on a Asian based carrier like Japan airlines the service is so much better, but for now I will be stuck flying American Based carriers at least to Asia and catching Asian based onto PI.  

I got to play cards with the cards I am dealt, and the freaking American Carriers keep getting smaller and smaller seats it seems. I saw my Delta Gold American Express SkyMiles card after 2020 will not let you get into the Skylounges anymore, no biggie now since they are not that good anyways  Delta did have a SkyMiles Club in Manila airport and it was impressive, but it is no longer there. 

ChickBoy

1 minute ago, Falcon Cara said:

I am in Dallas we are pretty limited on flight to PI.  Years ago I used to use consolidators and fly multiply airlines to get to PI, Usually going to Las vegas or California and catching a Philippines based carrier.

I have been flying Delta the last few years since they have one stop in USA and then onto Japan and to PI.  American Airlines is based in Dallas so I have used them the last few trips since I have a ton of air miles accumulated.

Once I get on a Asian based carrier like Japan airlines the service is so much better, but for now I will be stuck flying American Based carriers at least to Asia and catching Asian based onto PI.  

I got to play cards with the cards I am dealt, and the freaking American Carriers keep getting smaller and smaller seats it seems. I saw my Delta Gold American Express SkyMiles card after 2020 will not let you get into the Skylounges anymore, no biggie now since they are not that good anyways  Delta did have a SkyMiles Club in Manila airport and it was impressive, but it is no longer there. 

I do forget how lucky I am living 10 minutes from O'Hare.  We get lots of options here for all kinds of airlines flying to Asia.  Cathay is One World Alliance so it is usually code shared with AA.  Good luck to you and no matter what flight you end up with, may it be a smooth and easy trip!

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Falcon Cara said:

Exactly!!!!    I certainly didn't want to pick up our bags, find transportation to HND, then recheck everything.........It ended up costing me several hundred bucks.....We like Japan Airlines, but that changing airports for a CONNECTING flight was just crazy....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I like Narita a lot.......and we like some of the Asian carriers.......EVA has a direct flight from Houston to Taipei.......with a free shuttle service from Dallas to Houston for that flight......

Just now, missileman said:

I like Narita a lot.......and we like some of the Asian carriers.......EVA has a direct flight from Houston to Taipei.......with a free shuttle service from Dallas to Houston for that flight......

EVA is arguably the best airline I've ever flown.  Everything about them was worlds above the rest.  We were delayed on one flight and they asked all the passengers to wait while they let me off the plane first so I can make my flight to Chicago.  They met me with a cart and had a security checkpoint open just for me so I would make it.  I was amazed.  That was a day when I was bumped from United in Hong Kong because I was on a buddy pass.  I needed to get back and EVA was the only way to make Chicago that day.  I will never forget that flight.  I'm Marco Polo Gold and I felt better cared for on the EVA flight then I do by Cathay.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've switched to Korean Air out of Dallas connecting through ICN which is a breeze. Also, their economy class is amazing. The only have 9 across on the 777-300's 3,3,3, configuration. Every other airline has 10 across in a 3,4,3 configuration. Prices are very competitive. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

I've switched to Korean Air out of Dallas connecting through ICN which is a breeze. Also, their economy class is amazing. The only have 9 across on the 777-300's 3,3,3, configuration. Every other airline has 10 across in a 3,4,3 configuration. Prices are very competitive. 

Or if you don't mind sitting in front of the loo, it is 2,3,2.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I always sit in front of the bathroom, no bad feelings about reclining my seat. 

I have never done the airport switch. I've found the easiest is to get to SFO or LAX, then take a direct flight to Manila. 

I did once fly round trip from the Twin Cities to Manila for less than $700. The way home was a 40 hour slog through Guam, Hawaii, LAX, and Dallas. Not worth the $400 saved. Think of your time. You can always get more money, you can never get more time. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Fogi said:

I always sit in front of the bathroom, no bad feelings about reclining my seat. 

I have never done the airport switch. I've found the easiest is to get to SFO or LAX, then take a direct flight to Manila. 

I did once fly round trip from the Twin Cities to Manila for less than $700. The way home was a 40 hour slog through Guam, Hawaii, LAX, and Dallas. Not worth the $400 saved. Think of your time. You can always get more money, you can never get more time. 

Delta now flies MSP-INC,  with a quick connection to MNL or CEB.  

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.