laylalex

America’s Abortion Rate Has Dropped to Its Lowest Ever

96 posts in this topic

The institute estimated that there were about 862,000 abortions in 2017, nearly 200,000 fewer than in 2011. The abortion rate — the number of abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age — dropped to 13.5 in 2017 from 16.9 in 2011, the lowest rate since abortion became legal nationwide in 1973.

The report suggests that one reason for the decrease might be the growing use of long-term contraceptive methods, like intrauterine devices and implants, which are now covered by insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Birthrates have also declined.

“If restrictions were the main driver across the board, we’d expect birthrates to increase,” said Ms. Nash, a writer of the policy analysis.

She said that in four of the states that enacted new restrictions between 2011 and 2017 — North Carolina, Mississippi, Wyoming and Georgia — abortion rates actually rose. More than half the decline in the number of abortions during that time happened in states that did not pass restrictive abortion laws, she said.

This should be good news for everyone. Being pro-choice doesn't mean being pro-abortion (bizarre Reddit abortion fetish fanfic aside :rolleyes:), and I am glad to read this. :) 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/health/abortion-rate-dropped.html

Edited by laylalex
Forgot to include link.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
25 minutes ago, laylalex said:

This should be good news for everyone. Being pro-choice doesn't mean being pro-abortion

I agree with that. The path "rare and safe" was never via "not-legal" but via sex/reproductive health education, easy, stigma-less availability of contraceptives, easy judgement free surrenders via adoption, and guilt free support during gestation. 

34 minutes ago, laylalex said:

This should be good news for everyone. Being pro-choice doesn't mean being pro-abortion (bizarre Reddit abortion fetish fanfic aside :rolleyes:), and I am glad to read this. :) 

Interesting study. One thing it didn't mention (probably outside of the scope of the data) is that there is a direct correlation between increasing restriction on abortion access and a greater incidence of later term abortions. There is also a much higher chance of maternal mortality and complications. Basically, if access is restricted, women still have abortions. It just takes longer and sometimes becomes  much more difficult due to the process of waiting and/or going out of state for the procedure.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

11 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Interesting study. One thing it didn't mention (probably outside of the scope of the data) is that there is a direct correlation between increasing restriction on abortion access and a greater incidence of later term abortions. There is also a much higher chance of maternal mortality and complications. Basically, if access is restricted, women still have abortions. It just takes longer and sometimes becomes  much more difficult due to the process of waiting and/or going out of state for the procedure.

That is a really interesting question. I was heartened to see the number of medication abortions had increased. Earlier in a pregnancy can mean fewer complications. I had a medication abortion and while it was not the most comfortable thing in my life, it was tolerable. 

15 minutes ago, laylalex said:

That is a really interesting question. I was heartened to see the number of medication abortions had increased. Earlier in a pregnancy can mean fewer complications. I had a medication abortion and while it was not the most comfortable thing in my life, it was tolerable. 

Yeah, the focus should be on increasing access. It is a legal right. Putting up barriers to access doesn't solve anything. It's not stopping anyone. It just making it a more risky and medically invasive procedure. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, laylalex said:

Still a lot of babies being killed. It is good news to see fewer horrific deaths being performed though so we got that going at least.

Filed: Timeline

I had never even heard of this as a "thing" until  I saw a post by a woman who was a survivor.  I'm sure SB has more insight, being in the medical profession, but with all the talk about abortions in the past 10 years, both for & against, this was news to me.

https://www.sba-list.org/born-alive-abortion-survivors-documented-cases

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

I had never even heard of this as a "thing" until  I saw a post by a woman who was a survivor.  I'm sure SB has more insight, being in the medical profession, but with all the talk about abortions in the past 10 years, both for & against, this was news to me.

Yeah but some say she wasn't a baby so it was OK to kill her. I wonder if her mother slept well at night. 😭

32 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Babies can survive if they are born after ~24-25 weeks. We have discussed that in the past. It's why restricting access to abortion early does not accomplish the intended result. The more artificial barriers put in place, the higher the chance of a women seeking help to terminate the pregnancy at a later stage.

Unlike some, I'm not a person who is a libertarian advocate one day and part of the morality police the next. My personal feelings on abortion are of no consequence. It is a legal right, and in that case, if it's going to happen, I would rather see it happen before a pregnancy gets to later stages.

Also just a note about myself, since it comes up. I have never seen or been involved with anything related to abortion in the medical field. It's not my area. I am just giving my opinion here like everyone else. What I tend to see more first hand, unfortunately, is that their are a lot of parents who end up inflicting horrible abuse and neglect upon children after they are born. 

44 minutes ago, luckytxn said:

Yeah but some say she wasn't a baby so it was OK to kill her. I wonder if her mother slept well at night. 😭

If you are unclear on the differences between an embryo, a fetus, and a baby, I suggest you take it upon yourself to further your understanding. It would only enhance your ability to participate in the actual discussion. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

If you are unclear on the differences between an embryo, a fetus, and a baby, I suggest you take it upon yourself to further your understanding. It would only enhance your ability to participate in the actual discussion. 

You seem to be the one confused and it is understandable as I have seen you posting but that is OK as we are all entitled to our own opinions. If anyone is upset by others posts then maybe they should not be on the net. Killers of babies should not get upset about words said about their actions.  I do understand that babies can be seen as an inconvenience and the wish they were gone or never happened and luckily the supreme court has said it is OK for one to kill their babies. I would suggest that you mute me as I will participate in this discussion as I see fit and not as you feel I should like a sheep.

Edited by luckytxn

Just now, luckytxn said:

You seem to be the one confused and it is understandable as I have seen you posting but that is OK as we are all entitled to our own opinions. If anyone is upset by others posts then maybe they should not be on the net. Killers of babies should not get upset about words said about their actions.  I do understand that babies can be seen as an inconvenience and the wish they were gone or never happened and luckily the supreme court has said it is OK for one to kill their babies.

You think I'm upset by your posts? You really have been gone a long time Lucky. I am trying to help you learn something, but I can see you're not really trying. That's fine too. Carry on.