Galina&Abdo

Red flags for CR1 visa

52 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone, my names is Galina and I have few questions about the red flags ! I met my husband last September online ! I visited him April and we got married May 17, 2019. So we got married on the first visit ! My divorce was finalized April 25, I’m older than my husband 11years ( he is 36 and I’m 47). He is Muslim I’m a Christian. I’m originally from Bulgaria but I live in USA almost 18 years ! I’m a nurse obviously I have degree , soo all this it’s seems to be red flags ! I’m very concerned about that ! We just got all our documents needed for I-130 ., and I hire a law company  for that ! I did ask the paralegal what will happen if we are not approved but I didn’t ask about the red flags and how we can overcome the issues ! So I’m very frustrated because I was married for a man with the same background as mine and the same religion and nationality and it end up in divorce and now when I found the person that I love and care about ,they will tell me “oh all your marriage is RED FLAG because is not in the norms “ ! I mean norms in terms of what it’s supposed to be a norm for falling in love and when you should get married! Absurd!!! How someone will tell me when I should get marry and if I’m really in love ! It’s frustrating! I’m asking if anyone have the same experience as mine and how was it ? 

Thanks and apologies for the long post ! 

Red flags are not a reason for refusal alone, however they will look at the entire set of circumstances. The items you noted do stand out as unusual in local culture (woman older than man, difference in religion, marriage on first visit, etc.). He is also from a fairly high fraud region, where they look very closely at red flags.

That said, nothing above is a death sentence. Any amount of red flags can be overcome with an otherwise strong case - meaning lots of relationship evidence. The main thing is time spent together.

Best wishes.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

At least you have a very transportable skill set so that is a positive.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks for the positive message! I know that I need a lot of evidence and prove and I do my best !  We have a lots of pictures, we talk every day text and video calls ! I don’t know what more they want since we are not living together! Also I got a lots of recipes  from my trip last time , tickets !I’m going in October to visit my husband and I will spend this time only 11 days ( not enough PTO since I spend it all at the last visit 1 month ) ! Next year I’m planing to go again at least two more times, as a nurse it’s hard to get vacation we are always over staffed ! Anyway I will do everything in my power to get the evidence and be with my husband ! I’m afraid and worry because you never know what they will say ! It’s soo sad that someone else will decide if my marriage is real or not ! This is so personal and I feel violated but I  know it’s not only me ! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

First ,   the 11 years is not as big an issue now in Morocco as many of us have bigger gaps except for the fact that you are not of child bearing age and they will question him on this issue

Second:   but marrying on the 1st visit is

Third:       you need to travel to Morocco as much as possible (without hurting your income as that is needed ) or meet in Europe to be together

Fourth:  fill out a timeline/  when did you apply?  you married in the spring and the process takes 12 to 14 months

fifth:    get a POA from him to do business in the US and when you file 2019 tax returns,  do the W7 form for a ITIN (individual taxpayer ID number) and add him to your returns (Morocco expects this of married couples) and it shows commingling of finances also important to the Casa embassy

sixth:   a muslim man can marry a Christian or a Jewish woman in Morocco (no issue)

Read the Morocco portal and read embassy posts (unforunately the denied ones do not post ) but you will see what others did to be approved

face time is the important thing at casa embassy but now they look closely at the education level and work experience of the Moroccan

Casa does not like a short 10 day or 2 week vacation and many of us have had to spend a month with our spouse to show a real relationship

Questions casa will be concerned with are future plans (will he work or study here )  and they will ask him in interview

and they will question how much he knows about you (every stupid little and big thing)  

incha allah all will go as u dream

Timeline

Hi JeanneAdil , this time I’m going only for 11 days but  I was there last time for a months! I submitted many pictures and recipes,  plane tickets!i also got my ticket for October visit and apartment reservation so I did send this to my lawyer.  Next year I will go aging for a month! Yes we talked with my husband about him studying here because he will need to have a good job so education is important! He did go to university for few years in Morocco but he stopped! My husband knows me very well from my observation! We talk ,text and video call a lot ! For my age and being able to have children we also talked ! 

Timeline

Perhaps he could complete his education in the mean time?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Hey RJandHamid, I already send to my lawyer the proof of my next trip , tickets and apartment reservation ! Also we have a lots of pictures and phone and video calls ! I already send pictures and recipes as well ,to the lawyer ! I will travel next year at least 2 more times for 1 months each time if possible!  ! Since the wait period is long I have to go to see my husband ! He will also start taking some English classes so he can improve his English ! I love my husband and he loves me  I don’t know what else I can do to prove them that our relationship and marriage is  genuine ! 

Timeline

Boiler this is an option too , I have to talk to my husband but he also need to take some English classes , so he can improve his English! He learn fast since we talk in English but needs improvement! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Has the lawyer filed the petition yet? I still stand by what I said before, that you should wait to file until after you next visit. It is only a couple of months away, and could really help your case a lot. Having additional photos, and actual verification of time spent together. 

There isn't much you can do to prove the relationship is genuine other than take your time and build your case to be the strongest it can be. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I just went through a similar "red flags" CR-1 process with my husband, he has been with me in the US now for one week!  To overcome the red flags, we submitted evidence of four visits to be together and spend time together in person with the I-130 petition (front-loading), also lots of evidence of financial co-mingling (joint credit card, beneficiary on health insurance, beneficiary on retirement plans, investments, etc.).  After the I-130 was approved, 7 months after filing it, we uploaded evidence of four more visits to be together during those seven months at the NVC stage of the process (side-loading).  I flew to Brazil to be with him for his visa interview, that was our ninth visit to be together in person.  Our process went very smoothly I think in part because of all of those visits and supporting evidence (boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel receipts, photos). And we didn't use a visa service or attorney, I think they just slow the process down and take your money and make mistakes.  The more evidence of time spent together, the greater your chances of a successful visa application in a little over a year.  This is especially important for Morocco, a high-fraud country.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Timeline

This is Morocco.

Timeline

Carmel34 thanks for responding! Yes I was in Morocco for 1 month now I’m going in October for 11 days and probably next year I will go few more times ! I also want  to be there for his interview! But how did you get bank accounts together since he was in Brazil and you were here in USA? 

Edited by Galina&Abdo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.