Newuser4453454

SSN Number Questions

11 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have a question about when and how my husband will obtain a SSN/card. He arrived on a K-1 in February and we noticed his I-90 was off in that it listed his name as "FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME" . When we tried to get answers from our local SSN office we were told he'd have to visit his port of entry (Ireland!) or he could file his Work Authorization form i-765 and check off the field requesting a SSN at that time so he'd get one when he got the card. That's the option we chose as we could not go back to Ireland (I later learned any port would have been fine...stupid SSN).

Anyway! Cut to now: We have our Interview Date for the Green Card while his EAD is still in Case Received status as it has been since it was received on Feb 28th. No amount of questioning, contacting congressmen, senate, tier 2 , etc could speed up the EAD but I do think it's why our interview is coming up so fast (Philly was said to sometimes take 24 months).

My question is: Does he get an SSN now with his green card? Does he have to go to the SSN office to specifically ask for one? Do we have to wait for the EAD to come through anyway even though he'll not even need it? Will he have two numbers at that point? What do we do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Your husband will not get an SSN with his green card.

He should have been able to apply for an SSN at any time within the first 76 days in the US at any Social Security Administration office (Anastasia was able to apply for hers two days after POE in downtown San Diego and had no problems, but I imagine the downtown San Diego office is more familiar with K-1s than most); you do not get one at POE (and I've never heard that one before). Many SSA officials do not understand the rules about K-1 holders and SSNs.

Unless your husband's EAD is approved between now and when his green card is approved, you'll have to go to an SSA office with his green card to get an SSN. When his green card is approved, his EAD application will be canceled if it hasn't been approved by then.

He will not get two SSNs except by mistake; you're supposed to have only one for life ever.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, NearEthereal said:

They didn't say I had to go to a port to get the SSN , my apologies. Because his first name showed up on his I-90 as STEPHENDAVID instead of Stephen  (Middle name David), they would not issue it without a fixed i-90. They told us he had to go to his port of entry to get the i-90 fixed.

I94

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, NearEthereal said:

They didn't say I had to go to a port to get the SSN , my apologies. Because his first name showed up on his I-90 as STEPHENDAVID instead of Stephen  (Middle name David), they would not issue it without a fixed i-90. They told us he had to go to his port of entry to get the i-90 fixed.

I think you mean I94... arrival record .. I90 is for a replacement or renewal of a physical Green Card 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Your SSA office could have done a manual verification of his entry. His passport scan at POE ran two names together (happens a lot to Brits). The SAVE database did not have STEPHEN DAVID. The SSA would have had to issue a card to STEPHENDAVID or contact USCIS to verify his entry. That verification ship has sailed. 

When he gets a green card (or even an EAD), USCIS will update the SAVE database reflecting the name on the most recent immigration status. He goes back to SSA to apply again. They will issue a SSN to the name found in the database.  Allow maybe two weeks for the database to update to STEPHEN D or STEPHEN DAVID, whichever is  the case. (Mine was the middle initial version).

@NearEthereal

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to SSN, from AOS Family K1/K3~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, NearEthereal said:

They were incorrect telling you this. 

Everyone with a middle name would have an I94 stating that same format because the I94 is generated from the passport name which would be the same.

All the SSA agent would have had to do was process your application and send a manual verification request and it would be cleared up in 4 weeks.

Not that you can do anything about it now, but for others that come across this post, you obviously got an agent that did not know what they were doing and you should have gone to a different agent or office or spoken with an office manager.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 8/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, NearEthereal said:

Hi!

I have a question about when and how my husband will obtain a SSN/card. He arrived on a K-1 in February and we noticed his I-90 was off in that it listed his name as "FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME" . When we tried to get answers from our local SSN office we were told he'd have to visit his port of entry (Ireland!) or he could file his Work Authorization form i-765 and check off the field requesting a SSN at that time so he'd get one when he got the card. That's the option we chose as we could not go back to Ireland (I later learned any port would have been fine...stupid SSN).

Anyway! Cut to now: We have our Interview Date for the Green Card while his EAD is still in Case Received status as it has been since it was received on Feb 28th. No amount of questioning, contacting congressmen, senate, tier 2 , etc could speed up the EAD but I do think it's why our interview is coming up so fast (Philly was said to sometimes take 24 months).

My question is: Does he get an SSN now with his green card? Does he have to go to the SSN office to specifically ask for one? Do we have to wait for the EAD to come through anyway even though he'll not even need it? Will he have two numbers at that point? What do we do?

We are waiting for the EAD/SSN. Our local Social Security office either didn't know how to do it or didn't want to but they said the couldn't with the I-94. They acted like they'd never heard of such a thing. It's a shame because he could have had his driver's license months ago if he'd had his Social Security number. We married in mid April but still haven't received an interview letter for his AOS. Congratulations on the interview date!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.