laylalex

To Learn About the Far Right, Start With the ‘Manosphere’

215 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Are you implying that I married my way out of debt -- that I "found a way" that way? 😕 

I am not only implying it, but I seem to recall you posted exactly this fact.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

Just now, Boris Farage said:

Completely immaterial. Everyone's circumstances are different. You take stock of your own individual situation, you leverage your advantages, and you overcome your obstacles. It takes planning and fortitude. Excuses and self-pity do not help.

You forgot the classic 'pull yourself up by the bootstraps and give them a firm handshake' line bro

1 minute ago, AnonIndia said:

Nobody is making excuses or supporting communists like Bernie or AOC. It is a fact that it is significantly more difficult for millenials to have job security and pay for college on their own than it was for their baby boomer parents. But they cannot accept this reality and instead like to roleplay of how they hiked 6 million light years to school and worked part time jobs to pay for college when part time wages today will take decades to pay off college debt.

Cry me a river, life is tough for you. Got it. I paid for my millenials education, sorry about you luck

1 minute ago, Boris Farage said:

I am not only implying it, but I seem to recall you posted exactly this fact.

I don't think I said that. I was lucky enough to have assistance in paying off my student debt but I married for love, not money. It turned out that having a lot of one doesn't mean that you'll automatically have a lot of the other.

Timeline
1 minute ago, AnonIndia said:

You forgot the classic 'pull yourself up by the bootstraps and give them a firm handshake' line bro

You jest, but why not? Nobody is more invested in your own success than you. Certainly the government is least interested in your success, but they ARE interested in your tax money. You will give it to them thinking they will help people get an education, and the government will find ways to spend it on anything else.

-

1 minute ago, Randyandyuni said:

Cry me a river, life is tough for you. Got it. I paid for my millenials education, sorry about you luck

My parent paid for mine too. It is good that you invested money into your kids' future. That is what every good parent does. I am just pointing out how for a lot of fellow millennial life is significantly harder than it was for their baby boomer ancestors. It is the truth. Not wanting to accept it is fine as well. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I don't think I said that. I was lucky enough to have assistance in paying off my student debt but I married for love, not money. It turned out that having a lot of one doesn't mean that you'll automatically have a lot of the other.

You said: " Are you implying that I married my way out of debt -- that I "found a way" that way? "

Fine, you married for love. But you also "married your way out of debt." The two are not mutually exclusive. Let's not gaslight.

-

4 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

You jest, but why not? Nobody is more invested in your own success than you. Certainly the government is least interested in your success, but they ARE interested in your tax money. You will give it to them thinking they will help people get an education, and the government will find ways to spend it on anything else.

Yes the government is wasteful and won't spend tax payer money efficiently. But how do you allow ballooning military spending but not allow free college when free college might create wealthier tax payers in the future and military spending only helps regime change wars in the middle east?

9 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

You said: " Are you implying that I married my way out of debt -- that I "found a way" that way? "

Fine, you married for love. But you also "married your way out of debt." The two are not mutually exclusive. Let's not gaslight.

Wow. If anyone knows about being gaslit, it's me. I am NOT gaslighting you. I was lucky enough to have a generous (ex-)husband who didn't want me to be burdened with debt because he found it an unnecessary stressor for me. The way found me more than the other way around. If I could thank him over again, I would. I see what my friends who went to law school and business school are going through, I would not want to be saddled with that kind of debt.

1 hour ago, ALFKAD said:

I think I see more entitlement in the young and the rich (more so than old.  Now old & rich, sure.)

But more so among the young.  I recall a heated discussion I once had with a former co-worker, considerably younger than myself female.  We had been friends in the past.  But no more.  Why?

She was an avid Bernie fan, and was adamant that free college was a great thing.  I asked her where the money would come from, and the general response was "the government", but couldn't get her to understand that the government is funded on taxes, and it would cost us all.  Her favorite come back was "your generation ruined everything for my generation".  

Now bear in mind, said young lass had served in the military, and had a GI Bill.  But she was angry because it didn't pay for all the schooling she wanted to take.  She was going to have to pay for some of it out of her own pocket, and was angry about that.  So... she quit going to school.  Solved her own problem in her own way.

And unfriended me. I was the old white guy who didn't support her beliefs. And ruined America for her generation.  *SMH*

College is Free. Just do a few years in the Military

Timeline
15 minutes ago, AnonIndia said:

Yes the government is wasteful and won't spend tax payer money efficiently. But how do you allow ballooning military spending but not allow free college when free college might create wealthier tax payers in the future and military spending only helps regime change wars in the middle east?

Because the Constitution allows for a military. But the Constitution (wisely) does not entitle you to an education just because it's too expensive. And for good reason. You won't die or be enslaved or be oppressed by a foreign nation without an education. But you bloody sure will without a military.

19 minutes ago, AnonIndia said:

might create wealthier tax payers in the future and military spending only helps regime change wars in the middle east?

Pshaw. Do you know what creates wealth? Wealth. Education does not create wealth, it's simply one of many tools that can be used to acquire it. Bill Gates dropped out of university. Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, the list goes on. Their lack of education didn't stop them from creating wealth. They created wealth by first creating it for themselves.

Just now, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

College is Free. Just do a few years in the Military

An excellent example of what I've been saying. If you want it bad enough, there are ways.

-

Timeline
15 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Wow. If anyone knows about being gaslit, it's me. I am NOT gaslighting you. I was lucky enough to have a generous (ex-)husband who didn't want me to be burdened with debt because he found it an unnecessary stressor for me. The way found me more than the other way around. If I could thank him over again, I would. I see what my friends who went to law school and business school are going through, I would not want to be saddled with that kind of debt.

You seem to think I'm attacking you. I'm not. You are a prime example of what I have been saying all along: if you have the will, you will find a way. You were stressed with student debt, you found a way out from under it. Nicely done.

-

Just now, Boris Farage said:

Because the Constitution allows for a military. But the Constitution (wisely) does not entitle you to an education just because it's too expensive. And for good reason. You won't die or be enslaved or be oppressed by a foreign nation without an education. But you bloody sure will without a military.

Pshaw. Do you know what creates wealth? Wealth. Education does not create wealth, it's simply one of many tools that can be used to acquire it. Bill Gates dropped out of university. Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, the list goes on. Their lack of education didn't stop them from creating wealth. They created wealth by first creating it for themselves.

Nobody is talking about getting rid of the military. A military that is ballooned up so much that they only exist to fight pointless regime change wars for supposed allies in the middle east is incredibly wasteful and that money is better spent on free education.  For every college dropout that became a billionaire there are 10s of thousands of other that are suffering. Elizabeth Holmes was a Stanford university dropout and she scammed her way to 9 billion dollars. Now she faces 25 years in prison. By your logic shall I generalize that college dropouts are  in general billionaire scammers that later face jail time based on that one single woman? 

2 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

You seem to think I'm attacking you. I'm not. You are a prime example of what I have been saying all along: if you have the will, you will find a way. You were stressed with student debt, you found a way out from under it. Nicely done.

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation. :) I don't know how much I really did though besides try (and apparently fail) to be an adequate wife to my ex! :lol: 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, AnonIndia said:

Nobody is talking about getting rid of the military. A military that is ballooned up so much that they only exist to fight pointless regime change wars for supposed allies in the middle east is incredibly wasteful and that money is better spent on free education.

The United States has such a large military because the threats are many. The fact that you don't recognize them is a good indication that this "ballooned" military force is doing exactly what it has been precision designed for. Russia, China, Iran, terrorism, uncontrolled illegal immigration, not to mention the multiple nuclear threats. Start cutting the military, and you'd better brush up on your Mandarin.

2 minutes ago, AnonIndia said:

For every college dropout that became a billionaire there are 10s of thousands of other that are suffering. Elizabeth Holmes was a Stanford university dropout and she scammed her way to 9 billion dollars. Now she faces 25 years in prison. By your logic shall I generalize that college dropouts are  in general billionaire scammers that later face jail time based on that one single woman? 

I won't defend Holmes, but neither will I condemn her just yet. Giver her her day in court, and let's see what the facts find. So far what I've seen is left-wing hit jobs disguised as documentaries. Imagine if she had succeeded though. The wealth she would have created, the jobs she would have created, it would have been fantastic. If you want to help the world become a better place, become wealthy. When you act economically in your own interest, you create opportunity in your wake.

In any case, you're conflating my points. My college dropout example was to show that wealth creates more wealth, completely decoupled from education. There are many, many highly educated liberal arts graduates who are on the dole, taking money from my wallet. Likely the vast majority of them were handed everything, and if only they'd been made to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" it would have turned out much differently.

2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation. :) I don't know how much I really did though besides try (and apparently fail) to be an adequate wife to my ex! :lol:

Admitting failure is the first step to redemption. 😉

-