MBNB

HELP - can't open a bank account with Temporary I-551 Stamp

9 posts in this topic

Help!

I tried to keep my bank account open with my I-551 Stamp and the bank manger is telling me that I NEED the physical green card. The bank opened an account for me a couple weeks ago but then went BACK on their word and decided to close the account immediately.

I entered the US on July 8th and paid for my green card. We received a confirmation email stated it would take 120 days to process.

I am employed and now have no where for my payroll to be deposited. 

I was able to obtain a SSN, drivers license, teaching license, health insurance AND employment with this I-551 Stamp - so why can't I keep my bank account? 

The I-551 is listed as a TYPE A document. 

Has anyone had this issue or know how to resolve it?! 

Edited by MBNB

Go higher up or to a larger branch. Bring proof of all their listed acceptable documents and highlight I-551. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

12 minutes ago, MBNB said:

Help!

I tried to keep my bank account open with my I-551 Stamp and the bank manger is telling me that I NEED the physical green card. The bank opened an account for me a couple weeks ago but then went BACK on their word and decided to close the account immediately.

I entered the US on July 8th and paid for my green card. We received a confirmation email stated it would take 120 days to process.

I am employed and now have no where for my payroll to be deposited. 

I was able to obtain a SSN, drivers license, teaching license, health insurance AND employment with this I-551 Stamp - so why can't I keep my bank account? 

The I-551 is listed as a TYPE A document. 

Has anyone had this issue or know how to resolve it?! 

I recommend trying a different bank or a credit union.   Different banks require different documentation.   If you have an SSN and a drivers license that should be enough.  I was able to add my husband to my checking account with just those two, and then later he was able to open a checking account with same documentation at a major bank.

Edited by mtempelaar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

SS number and Photo ID is all you need

banking regulations are federal 

some have difference in policies but they really do have to follow federal banking laws

(i)  Customer information required--(A) In general. The CIP must contain procedures for opening an account that specify the identifying information that will be obtained from each customer. Except as permitted by paragraphs (a)(2)(i)(B) and (C) of this section, the bank must obtain, at a minimum, the following information from the customer prior to opening an account:

(1)  Name;

(2)  Date of birth, for an individual;

(3)  Address, which shall be:

(i)  For an individual, a residential or business street address;

(ii)  For an individual who does not have a residential or business street address, an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) box number, or the residential or business street address of next of kin or of another contact individual; or

(iii)  For a person other than an individual (such as a corporation, partnership, or trust), a principal place of business, local office, or other physical location; and

(4)  Identification number, which shall be:

(i)  For a U.S. person, a taxpayer identification number;  

Taxpayer ID number is the social security number

https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/8000-1600.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

worst case senario if you can't find a bank to help you, you can go to walmart and get the debit card / credit card they sell that allows you to have your paycheck direct deposited to the card every payday. there are other cards out there that do this, but they have a ton of fees. I know a few people who use the walmart one, and it works pretty good, I'll see if I can find a link and post it.

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/about-our-products

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

This doesn’t make sense so try another bank. Companies that hire international seasonal workers have them get bank accounts here for their money to be deposited. They are only here temporarily and would never have a green card. 

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
3 hours ago, MBNB said:

Thanks for the suggestions! 

They are requesting to see my Physical Green Card (Plastic One) but it won't be here until November. 

Isn't the A number on the I-551 the same as the one that will be listed on the Green Card? It's the 8 or 9 digit number. 

Go to another Bank

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 hours ago, MBNB said:

Thanks for the suggestions! 

They are requesting to see my Physical Green Card (Plastic One) but it won't be here until November. 

Isn't the A number on the I-551 the same as the one that will be listed on the Green Card? It's the 8 or 9 digit number. 

Yes the A number is on the stamped visa and then the GC. 

Bank of America is the one we used .. opened the account 2 days after arriving as we already had SSN 

You can always switch to a more convenient bank after the GC  arrives 

Edited by Lil bear

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.