skipperdee

K1 Filers - July / August NOA2 - Montreal

523 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all, we just got our visa but I have a random question. Is anyone else planning to have their Canadian fiance sponsor them as a Canadian permanent resident during this process? 

I had trouble figuring out if that would cause an issue with our AOS paperwork (although I don't think it would). Canada is not very strict and we wanted to proceed with those papers as it is very easy to get Canadian permanent residency.

We wanted to have that as a future emergency option if we ever wanted to move. Please send me a DM if this relates to you. Thanks :)

Edited by ScooterJones

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ScooterJones said:

Hey all, we just got our visa but I have a random question. Is anyone else planning to have their Canadian fiance sponsor them as a Canadian permanent resident during this process? 

I had trouble figuring out if that would cause an issue with our AOS paperwork (although I don't think it would). Canada is not very strict and we wanted to proceed with those papers as it is very easy to get Canadian permanent residency.

We wanted to have that as a future emergency option if we ever wanted to move. Please send me a DM if this relates to you. Thanks :)

following...

Timeline
22 hours ago, ScooterJones said:

I am also curious to know about this. My fiancé and I are talking about moving back to Canada in the future. He ideally wanted me to move there but his income was not sufficient to sponsor me and me being a student/worker there would have been hard. So the US might be a temporary option for us until he gets approval to leave the US.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

I am also curious to know about this. My fiancé and I are talking about moving back to Canada in the future. He ideally wanted me to move there but his income was not sufficient to sponsor me and me being a student/worker there would have been hard. So the US might be a temporary option for us until he gets approval to leave the US.

this is also in our plans since the medical insurance here in canada is great. however, my fiancee wants me to enjoy florida weather before she goes back to 4 seasons (came from Reno and move to Florida).

Timeline

Here's our experience. Hope this helps someone out there:

Walked over to the consulate at around 06:50AM and arrived at the door by 07:00AM for our 07:30AM appointment. We were #7 in the line. Before 07:30AM, the guard came out and spoke to some with backpacks that backpacks are not allowed inside the consulate. So they bolted out of the line but returned later (saw them at the 19th floor room). I have with me all documents in a market-type bag. Heavy! wink.gif

One by one, they asked us to enter the building. Got our passports ready and the appointment letter out. The lady gave us the laminated paper with the order of documents listed in it after she confirmed our appointment and sticked some info (MTL#, name, etc) at the back of our passports.

Proceed to the security. My Samsung watch and car key fob were left behind. No cellphones with us since it already stated in the P4 that we can't bring cellphones (I have to google the location of the consulate and memorize where to go.)

Asked to go into a room where the elevator is. Started to organize the documents but the lady guard asked us to go to the 19th floor right away.

At the 19th floor, we started to organize, again, the documents. As far as I remember, there were 11 documents that they want to organize. Hopefully, my memory serves me right:

1. Proof of Payment
2. Passport and photocopy
3. 2x2 Picture
4. Birth Certificates and photocopy
5. Proof of status in Canada, if not Canadian Citizen
6. Divorce Certificates and photocopy (ensure that these are original or certified true copy - they are checking the seal if present. Also, make sure that you have ALL your divorce documents from previous marriages, if applicable.)
7. Police Certificates
8. Medical Reports
9. Letter of Intent to Marry
10. Affidavit of Support I-134 forms (ensure that you have one for you and one for each other applicant (your K2).
11. Most Recent income tax returns (I gave them both the tax transcript and the tax return forms - I have from 2014 but they only took 2018.)

BTW, if you have K2, separate them from your documents. K2 was asked after K1 documents had been verified. Stated in the laminated paper as well.

We were called at window 2 and asked for our documents randomly. Definitely the first one is the passport followed by proof of payment. Then the rests were quick and fast. Can't remember. I wanted to give them more documents but they didn't accept except what were asked. After my documents were presented, I was asked for fingerprints. Then my son was asked for his documents then fingerprints. Was given the IMBRA pamphlet and asked to sit down and wait for the same number to be called.

Interview followed. Asked to go to window 7 (#7 for window 7 - NICE!). Asked the following:

1 - when and how did you meet?
2 - longest time to visit the US?
3 - address in Canada and fiancee's address in the US, K2 was asked if he had been in the US with fiancee.
4 - wedding plans?
5 - K2 was asked his plans for school.
6 - then just casual talk followed - going to Florida so no more snow and thick jackets. (the interviewer was jolly and pleasant. he made us felt at least and comfortable from the very beginning. his voice over the paging system seems very strict though but when we approached him, he was great!)

I even asked the interviewer if I can submit all proof of documents that I have for I-134 such as title deeds, employment cert, etc and proof of wedding plans but he just said all documents that they need were already with him.

Gave me the welcome letter. He even apologized since the colour of the paper was in pinkish red! LOL

Told us to check the status of the application in the ais.usvisa-info website and expect the passports with the visas in two weeks. Asked him if there will be some delays because of the move and his answer was "I don't think so since we'll basically be moving over the weekend and back on Tuesday."

Off we go!

WOOHOO!!!!

Timeline

also, nothing about DS-160 confirmation page was mentioned or asked. but please bring it with you just in case as instructed.

BTW, letter of intent to marry was only from the petitioner. i was giving her mine but she didn't accept it. ;)

Edited by wingman23

Timeline
1 hour ago, wingman23 said:

also, nothing about DS-160 confirmation page was mentioned or asked. but please bring it with you just in case as instructed.

BTW, letter of intent to marry was only from the petitioner. i was giving her mine but she didn't accept it. ;)

Amazing! Congrats!!! 😁

Timeline
6 hours ago, wingman23 said:

Here's our experience. Hope this helps someone out there:

Walked over to the consulate at around 06:50AM and arrived at the door by 07:00AM for our 07:30AM appointment. We were #7 in the line. Before 07:30AM, the guard came out and spoke to some with backpacks that backpacks are not allowed inside the consulate. So they bolted out of the line but returned later (saw them at the 19th floor room). I have with me all documents in a market-type bag. Heavy! wink.gif

One by one, they asked us to enter the building. Got our passports ready and the appointment letter out. The lady gave us the laminated paper with the order of documents listed in it after she confirmed our appointment and sticked some info (MTL#, name, etc) at the back of our passports.

Proceed to the security. My Samsung watch and car key fob were left behind. No cellphones with us since it already stated in the P4 that we can't bring cellphones (I have to google the location of the consulate and memorize where to go.)

Asked to go into a room where the elevator is. Started to organize the documents but the lady guard asked us to go to the 19th floor right away.

At the 19th floor, we started to organize, again, the documents. As far as I remember, there were 11 documents that they want to organize. Hopefully, my memory serves me right:

1. Proof of Payment
2. Passport and photocopy
3. 2x2 Picture
4. Birth Certificates and photocopy
5. Proof of status in Canada, if not Canadian Citizen
6. Divorce Certificates and photocopy (ensure that these are original or certified true copy - they are checking the seal if present. Also, make sure that you have ALL your divorce documents from previous marriages, if applicable.)
7. Police Certificates
8. Medical Reports
9. Letter of Intent to Marry
10. Affidavit of Support I-134 forms (ensure that you have one for you and one for each other applicant (your K2).
11. Most Recent income tax returns (I gave them both the tax transcript and the tax return forms - I have from 2014 but they only took 2018.)

BTW, if you have K2, separate them from your documents. K2 was asked after K1 documents had been verified. Stated in the laminated paper as well.

We were called at window 2 and asked for our documents randomly. Definitely the first one is the passport followed by proof of payment. Then the rests were quick and fast. Can't remember. I wanted to give them more documents but they didn't accept except what were asked. After my documents were presented, I was asked for fingerprints. Then my son was asked for his documents then fingerprints. Was given the IMBRA pamphlet and asked to sit down and wait for the same number to be called.

Interview followed. Asked to go to window 7 (#7 for window 7 - NICE!). Asked the following:

1 - when and how did you meet?
2 - longest time to visit the US?
3 - address in Canada and fiancee's address in the US, K2 was asked if he had been in the US with fiancee.
4 - wedding plans?
5 - K2 was asked his plans for school.
6 - then just casual talk followed - going to Florida so no more snow and thick jackets. (the interviewer was jolly and pleasant. he made us felt at least and comfortable from the very beginning. his voice over the paging system seems very strict though but when we approached him, he was great!)

I even asked the interviewer if I can submit all proof of documents that I have for I-134 such as title deeds, employment cert, etc and proof of wedding plans but he just said all documents that they need were already with him.

Gave me the welcome letter. He even apologized since the colour of the paper was in pinkish red! LOL

Told us to check the status of the application in the ais.usvisa-info website and expect the passports with the visas in two weeks. Asked him if there will be some delays because of the move and his answer was "I don't think so since we'll basically be moving over the weekend and back on Tuesday."

Off we go!

WOOHOO!!!!

Our wedding plans are the courthouse so I hope that's good enough! Congratulations!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Sunny_Skies123 said:

Our wedding plans are the courthouse so I hope that's good enough! Congratulations!

I bet that's enough. They even take a look at what we have for the wedding. As long as the intent to marry letter has a wet signature from the petitioner, they are good with it.

Thanks!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, wingman23 said:

I bet that's enough. They even take a look at what we have for the wedding. As long as the intent to marry letter has a wet signature from the petitioner, they are good with it.

Thanks!

They made sure the signature was wet? Interesting. People thought I was crazy when I said that... Lol

Congrats on the approval by the way! We should keep in touch through AOS!

Timeline
24 minutes ago, ScooterJones said:

They made sure the signature was wet? Interesting. People thought I was crazy when I said that... Lol

Congrats on the approval by the way! We should keep in touch through AOS!

She asked me if what i have is photocopied. Told her that it is not a photocopy. So i bet she is looking for wet signature.

For the divorce decrees, i saw her how she looked for the stamp/seal, making sure that those are either originals or certified true copies.

Thanks!!

Yep, keep in touch. For sure, there's another thread in here for AOS. Fiancee already gave me the link. 😉

Preparing for my move eventhough planning to fly to US by Jan. Vacation time to Phil and Japan from Dec to Jan. WINTER GETAWAY!!!!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, wingman23 said:

She asked me if what i have is photocopied. Told her that it is not a photocopy. So i bet she is looking for wet signature.

For the divorce decrees, i saw her how she looked for the stamp/seal, making sure that those are either originals or certified true copies.

Thanks!!

Yep, keep in touch. For sure, there's another thread in here for AOS. Fiancee already gave me the link. 😉

Preparing for my move eventhough planning to fly to US by Jan. Vacation time to Phil and Japan from Dec to Jan. WINTER GETAWAY!!!!

Oh wow! My fiance will be coming to Montreal a couple days before the interview, so we are going to sign/date everything together then. Glad to know they looked for a wet signature. I plan to move in Jan too, hopefully there isn't too much snow then hahah. Have fun on your vacation!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.