Jump to content
Suzanne8456

Esta Overstay and CR-1

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! :) 

 

I've recently had a baby with my husband who has just visited me on an ESTA from the UK, unfortunately due to the baby being REALLY late he's managed to overstay his ESTA by a couple of weeks but has since returned to the UK. He was originally sponsoring me to come to the UK but after some careful consideration we have decided we now want to live together in the US. 

 

We didn't realise we could have adjusted his status whilst he was here as there was no intent but that is now out the window. We've decided to petition for the CR-1 but I have a couple of questions:

 

1. Will my husbands overstay of 2 weeks effect our application?

2. From filing to acceptance and then arriving in the US what are everyones experience timewise? I'm particularly looking for other UK immigrants experience. 

 

Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

His ESTA is now revoked.  He will have to apply for a B2 visa to visit you during the process. That might be difficult with an overstay and a spouse/child  in the US....but he can apply.  No effect on CR-1 case, itself.  Average time from filing to visa in hand is roughly a year.

Edited by missileman

                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As stated above, his current ESTA is revoked and he is permanent ineligible for the VWP in the future. This is automatic upon day 1 of overstay.

An overstay of less than 180 days has no impact on a CR-1.

A recent overstay, USC spouse, and USC child nearly guarantees that he won't be able to visit the US anytime soon, sorry.

 

ETA: ~12-16 months, although I think it is slightly decreasing in the past couple months.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Suzanne8456 said:

Hello everyone! :) 

 

I've recently had a baby with my husband who has just visited me on an ESTA from the UK, unfortunately due to the baby being REALLY late he's managed to overstay his ESTA by a couple of weeks but has since returned to the UK. He was originally sponsoring me to come to the UK but after some careful consideration we have decided we now want to live together in the US. 

 

We didn't realise we could have adjusted his status whilst he was here as there was no intent but that is now out the window. We've decided to petition for the CR-1 but I have a couple of questions:

 

1. Will my husbands overstay of 2 weeks effect our application?

2. From filing to acceptance and then arriving in the US what are everyones experience timewise? I'm particularly looking for other UK immigrants experience. 

 

Thank you! 

Adjusting status with immigration intend is visa fraud.

 

He now has to apply for a tourist Visa. I'd suggest that he waits a few months until he gives it a try. You being the US spouse and having a US baby unfortunately works against it.


ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UK spouse here! Currently timelines are a little over 12 months. We Brits are fortunate that the London embassy is not particularly swamped with applications so once you get to the embassy stage it moves very quickly.

 

He has just kissed goodbye forever to the ESTA and the VWP. Chances of getting a B-2 are now slim but for $160 you can find out for sure if he will receive a tourist visa or not. Does he have a job back in the UK? 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

Adjusting status with immigration intend is visa fraud.

 

Yes, but nobody is suggesting that.  She said he "could have" because there WAS NO INTENT upon entry.  He left, so it's irrelevant to this case now.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, but nobody is suggesting that.  She said he "could have" because there WAS NO INTENT upon entry.  He left, so it's irrelevant to this case now.

At least somebody read my post properly! If we had of known this was possible two weeks ago then we would have done it. Like I said there was no intent initially. Kind of annoyed we didn't do more thorough research before he left, but like most things in life, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

1 hour ago, JFH said:

UK spouse here! Currently timelines are a little over 12 months. We Brits are fortunate that the London embassy is not particularly swamped with applications so once you get to the embassy stage it moves very quickly.

 

He has just kissed goodbye forever to the ESTA and the VWP. Chances of getting a B-2 are now slim but for $160 you can find out for sure if he will receive a tourist visa or not. Does he have a job back in the UK? 

Yes he does, he loves his job and has been there for years. He's very reluctant to leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys.

 

First of all, thank you for your replies so far!

 

I have another question, I'm looking to get the paperwork filed this week so I can get the process underway as it takes so long however, Ive been told it may take 6 weeks for my sons birth certificate to arrive. Am I able to file now and submit the birth certificate at a later date?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Suzanne8456 said:

I have another question, I'm looking to get the paperwork filed this week so I can get the process underway as it takes so long however, Ive been told it may take 6 weeks for my sons birth certificate to arrive. Am I able to file now and submit the birth certificate at a later date?

You don't need your son's birth certificate to file the I-130.  Just your proof of citizenship. 


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

You don't need your son's birth certificate to file the I-130.  Just your proof of citizenship. 

I think the OP is hoping to use the birth certificate as martial evidence.  Which she is entitled to do of course, but it's not required. 


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Suzanne8456 said:

Hey guys.

 

First of all, thank you for your replies so far!

 

I have another question, I'm looking to get the paperwork filed this week so I can get the process underway as it takes so long however, Ive been told it may take 6 weeks for my sons birth certificate to arrive. Am I able to file now and submit the birth certificate at a later date?

Why would you need your son’s birth certificate? You need yours (or you can use your passport to prove you are a USC) and the marriage certificate. Plus if either of you has been married before you will need the divorce decrees/ death certificates or former spouses. But motherhood is not a requirement to file. 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I think the OP is hoping to use the birth certificate as martial evidence.  Which she is entitled to do of course, but it's not required. 

Good point. Hope she hasn’t been on the Facebook group that claims that sending proof of a child together is a guaranteed approval. 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...