ohcoffeeeyes

Visiting the USA for a prolonged amount of time?

23 posts in this topic

I'm going to stay with my spouse for 3 months (October to mid December) because she ships to boot camp on January 1st 2020. I have heard stories about people being turned away by the people at the point of entry due to visiting for a long period of time. I am not from a high fraud area of the world (UK) and I want to do this because I realized I have the money for it but I'm scared of that possibility? Any advice?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Bring evidence that you will actually return at the end of your stay.  You may also consider shortening your trip a bit as 90 days on an ESTA is at the limit.

Good Luck! 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bill & Katya said:

Bring evidence that you will actually return at the end of your stay.  You may also consider shortening your trip a bit as 90 days on an ESTA is at the limit.

Good Luck! 

What type of evidence? like hotel reservations, tickets and that kind of stuff? I'm leaving my job before I go on this trip btw.

Edited by ohcoffeeeyes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hmm, that will be tough.  You obviously have strong ties to the US through your spouse, and with no job ties to the UK, it may look suspicious.  You mentioned she is heading to boot camp, maybe bring a copy of her orders.  Return tickets are only as good as the paper they are printed on as they can easily be changed.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I visited my wife (then girlfriend) for 3 months around 3 years ago. I too had just quit my job in the UK prior to visiting. I had evidence of my mortgage on the property I owned as proof of my ties to the UK, in case I was questioned. If you have a mortgage or rental agreement, I would suggest those as evidence. Strangely enough, that was the one visit where I wasn't asked any questions by the border officer other than how long I'm visiting for. I told him 87 days and he smiled and waved me through. 

Edited by FlashLG
typo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to Tourist Visas, from IR1/CR1 P&P - as the OP is asking about visiting~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 minute ago, FlashLG said:

I visited my wife (then girlfriend) for 3 months around 3 years ago. I too had just quit my job in the UK prior to visiting. I had evidence of my mortgage on the property I owned as proof of my ties to the UK, in case I was questioned. If you have a mortgage or rental agreement, I would suggest those as evidence. Strangely enough, that was the one visit where I wasn't asked any questions by the border officer other than how long I'm visiting for. I told him 87 days and he smiled and waved me through. 

Sadly, I don't have a rental agreement or mortgage. 😪 The last time I visited the guy kept questioning me even though I was only staying for 20 and I was very nervous so I kept making mistakes. So I haven't had as pleasant experiences as you! But that keeps me reassured thank you. I'm hoping the fact my wife currently works and is earning a good amount and that I'll be going in with a lot of money will be fine as I'm guessing a lot of kids come into the USA every year for the same amount of time.

You're unlikely to have an issue as VWP traveler, unless you've been visiting too long already.

Recently leaving your job, having a US spouse, etc. are not positive factors. Nobody here can guarantee you will be fine, but I wouldn't personally expect an issue either.

24 minutes ago, FlashLG said:

I told him 87 days and he smiled and waved me through. 

Having a clear (although not rehearsed) answer goes a long way. 👍

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

What type of evidence? like hotel reservations, tickets and that kind of stuff? I'm leaving my job before I go on this trip btw.

Evidence that you wil go back home. You have to have a return ticket to use VWP/ESTA anyway

2 hours ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Sadly, I don't have a rental agreement or mortgage. 😪 The last time I visited the guy kept questioning me even though I was only staying for 20 and I was very nervous so I kept making mistakes. So I haven't had as pleasant experiences as you! But that keeps me reassured thank you. I'm hoping the fact my wife currently works and is earning a good amount and that I'll be going in with a lot of money will be fine as I'm guessing a lot of kids come into the USA every year for the same amount of time.

Well, that's not a great precedent unfortunately - and you have even less ties to show now. Your wife earning a good amount is an incentive to stay in the US, not to return home. You coming in with enough to support yourself is better. Highly suggest you look for as much as you can to show why you need to return to the UK at the end of it.

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, that's not a great precedent unfortunately - and you have even less ties to show now. Your wife earning a good amount is an incentive to stay in the US, not to return home. You coming in with enough to support yourself is better. Highly suggest you look for as much as you can to show why you need to return to the UK at the end of it.

Well shes leaving to boot camp just after I go home. I was wondering if the fact she has orders to go to boot camp and her contract is signed and she swore an oath and all that basically indicates that she isnt serious about this job anyway. (which she isnt.)

Thank you for your response anyway. I see your point.

4 hours ago, geowrian said:

You're unlikely to have an issue as VWP traveler, unless you've been visiting too long already.

Recently leaving your job, having a US spouse, etc. are not positive factors. Nobody here can guarantee you will be fine, but I wouldn't personally expect an issue either.

Having a clear (although not rehearsed) answer goes a long way. 👍

Yep. Spent most of today looking up about being denied entry. It's very rare and I'm not a suspicious looking fella. Guessing I'm worrying about nothing!

14 hours ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

Well shes leaving to boot camp just after I go home. I was wondering if the fact she has orders to go to boot camp and her contract is signed and she swore an oath and all that basically indicates that she isnt serious about this job anyway. (which she isnt.)

Thank you for your response anyway. I see your point.

Actually means nothing until the second swearing in at MEPS the day you leave for boot. You can drop out of DEP at any time. Just FYI

15 hours ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

But..so what? How does that prove you’ll go back home? 

Anyway, you can argue with me here or you can sort out proper evidence of returning home. You’ve been questioned on entry before, very unusual for VWP entrants, especially on a short stay like your previous one, so there might be something about you that is flagged and they may very well question you again. You can fly over and hope, or you can fly over with enough to convince them that you won’t overstay. Your choice.

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

But..so what? How does that prove you’ll go back home? 

Anyway, you can argue with me here or you can sort out proper evidence of returning home. You’ve been questioned on entry before, very unusual for VWP entrants, especially on a short stay like your previous one, so there might be something about you that is flagged and they may very well question you again. You can fly over and hope, or you can fly over with enough to convince them that you won’t overstay. Your choice.

Sorry if I seemed aggressive I was just wondering if I could use that as evidence. I even said thank you to you! I'm not trying to argue. 😓😓😓

1 hour ago, jskibo said:

Actually means nothing until the second swearing in at MEPS the day you leave for boot. You can drop out of DEP at any time. Just FYI

Yeah I figured but I thought it'd mean something.

Edited by ohcoffeeeyes

21 hours ago, ohcoffeeeyes said:

I'm leaving my job before I go on this trip btw

Not a great idea when it comes to convincing CBP that you intend to return home.  In fact, what reason will you have to return home?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.