ohcoffeeeyes

Visiting the USA for a prolonged amount of time?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I did that about 3 years ago to visit my then boyfriend. I didn't have very strong ties to home at the time. I was questioned extensively and was completely honest and they let me through. I know someone who is on their second long period trip within this year and he didn't get questioned at all. It's completely up to the discretion of the officer you get at customs. 

If you have any evidence of ties - lease, appointments to come back to, etc. I would bring them just in case. Also have a print out of your bank statement to prove you have enough money to support yourself on your trip. GOOD LUCK!

event.png

51 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Not a great idea when it comes to convincing CBP that you intend to return home.  In fact, what reason will you have to return home?

Yeah it isnt a great idea but obviously I cant take 3 months worth of paid vacation and I'm not in an industry where taking sabbaticals is common.

19 minutes ago, streanor said:

I did that about 3 years ago to visit my then boyfriend. I didn't have very strong ties to home at the time. I was questioned extensively and was completely honest and they let me through. I know someone who is on their second long period trip within this year and he didn't get questioned at all. It's completely up to the discretion of the officer you get at customs. 

If you have any evidence of ties - lease, appointments to come back to, etc. I would bring them just in case. Also have a print out of your bank statement to prove you have enough money to support yourself on your trip. GOOD LUCK!

Thank you!!! Yes that seems like a good idea. You gave me confidence lol

Edited by ohcoffeeeyes

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Thank you. Yes that does seem reoccurring. I have plenty of time to get some evidence anyway so I'm gonna follow what you said 😄 I'm sure I could find something. Thank you for everything! Much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

sorry to steer away a bit, but i too have somewhat of a similar case and was hoping if i could get some advise;

I have a pending i130 spouse petition and planning a prolonged trip 4 moths long (Visa type b1/b2 10 year multiple entry), i am a business owner and have property on my name(for ties), i have a good travel history in u.s i was in the u.s for 4 years for my college with regular trips back hime and no overstay or any legal trouble..

my question:  should i buy an additional one way return ticket .i.e  a 4 moth long return ticket and a one-way return ticket for a shorter stay to show to cbp?

43 minutes ago, gbhj said:

my question:  should i buy an additional one way return ticket .i.e  a 4 moth long return ticket and a one-way return ticket for a shorter stay to show to cbp?

How stupid exactly do you think they are? 

One way ticket to a ban for misrepresentation, more likely.

Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

that is exactly my concern..

firstly, thanks for replying.

ok  so technically on b1/b2 they usually allow a visit to be 6 months long so i am well below that.. The ticket i got a was a great deal but had a condition that the return ticket to be in a certain month...  so with your experience can you please guide me in case of b1/b2 4 month trip will there be any issue?

once again thanks for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate all the help!

Timeline
On 8/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, SusieQQQ said:

update changed my return to under a month , so this question is more for information now...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.