Jump to content
MaLo

Anyone drive to Canada with only Naturalization Certificarte

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello. My oath ceremony is on 18th July and I travel to Canada (drive) on 24th July. We will try for one day passport, but upon reading the Canadian and US Border agency website's travel requirements for documents, it seems that naturalization certificate works as proof of citizenship. We have to go to Canada for a wedding, and other people (old and unable to drive) are dependent on us to drive, so we must go. Just wondering if anyone has travelled to Canada by road using naturalization certificate?


NVC Process wiki - http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

 

AOS Journey:

3/10/2017: Filed I751 at California Service Center

3/2/2018: Filed N400 - San Antonio TX

3/14/2018: i751 Case transferred to Local Office

9/25/2018: Interview scheduled for N400, November 13th

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html


The Naturalization certificate is not a travel document. You said both Canadian and US border say it's ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is your current passport... current? take that and all your naturalization/green card documents

 

i imagine with all that you would be fine but im honestly not sure 


i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 131

04/19/2019    Rec'd appointment letter for biometrics

05/02/2019    Biometrics

05/15/2019    Submitted initial request for EAD expedite 5/22 faxed info

06/05/2019    EAD APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!  06/06/2019    AP Approval

06/13/2019    Combo Card Received in Mail

06/19/2019    Social Security Card received in mail

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can enter Canada with your foreign passport, but, the law clearly states that ALL US citizens must enter the US presenting their US passport.

As stated before, the naturalization certificate is NOT a travel document, just a proof of citizenship. 

Land crossings allow you to also use Global Entry or Enhanced Driving License as valid ID to enter USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html


The Naturalization certificate is not a travel document. You said both Canadian and US border say it's ok?

Yes. 

Canada website: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Quote: "If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. "

 

US website: https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/us-citizens-travelling-internationally

Quote: "If you were not born in the United States, carrying your valid U.S. passport is your best option to prove your U.S. citizenship. You can also use your original naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship."

 


NVC Process wiki - http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

 

AOS Journey:

3/10/2017: Filed I751 at California Service Center

3/2/2018: Filed N400 - San Antonio TX

3/14/2018: i751 Case transferred to Local Office

9/25/2018: Interview scheduled for N400, November 13th

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You can enter Canada with your foreign passport, but, the law clearly states that ALL US citizens must enter the US presenting their US passport.

As stated before, the naturalization certificate is NOT a travel document, just a proof of citizenship. 

Land crossings allow you to also use Global Entry or Enhanced Driving License as valid ID to enter USA.

See my reply above. I think for driving, its ok. Certainly not for flying or by sea.


NVC Process wiki - http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

 

AOS Journey:

3/10/2017: Filed I751 at California Service Center

3/2/2018: Filed N400 - San Antonio TX

3/14/2018: i751 Case transferred to Local Office

9/25/2018: Interview scheduled for N400, November 13th

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MaLo said:

Yes. 

Canada website: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Quote: "If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. "

 

US website: https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/us-citizens-travelling-internationally

Quote: "If you were not born in the United States, carrying your valid U.S. passport is your best option to prove your U.S. citizenship. You can also use your original naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship."

 

its not about getting into canada so much as getting back INTO the US 


i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 131

04/19/2019    Rec'd appointment letter for biometrics

05/02/2019    Biometrics

05/15/2019    Submitted initial request for EAD expedite 5/22 faxed info

06/05/2019    EAD APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!  06/06/2019    AP Approval

06/13/2019    Combo Card Received in Mail

06/19/2019    Social Security Card received in mail

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

its not about getting into canada so much as getting back INTO the US 

yeah...i just figured that out. Just booked an appointment with US Passport Agency for July 22 for one day passport, so we should be fine. Thank you!


NVC Process wiki - http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

 

AOS Journey:

3/10/2017: Filed I751 at California Service Center

3/2/2018: Filed N400 - San Antonio TX

3/14/2018: i751 Case transferred to Local Office

9/25/2018: Interview scheduled for N400, November 13th

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MaLo said:

yeah...i just figured that out. Just booked an appointment with US Passport Agency for July 22 for one day passport, so we should be fine. Thank you!

I had to use the passport agency to renew my passport when I had a lot of travel planned.  Very easy and smooth...just ensure you bring proof of your upcoming travel.


I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

May 18, 2016: Chicago Lockbox received package.

May 20, 2016: NOA1 Notice Date with priority date of May 18. Sent to Nebraska Service Center

May 23, 2016: NOA1 E-mail

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App

Nov 2, 2016: USCIS sent to NVC

 

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Nov 23, 2016: IV Fee Invoiced and paid

Nov 30, 2016: IV and AOS Packages Sent (EP)

Dec 4, 2016: DS-260 Submitted

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Dec 15, 2016: Found out interview date by phone

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

 

Jan 30, 2017: POE Toronto Pearson Airport

 

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox

Nov 7, 2018: Apparent receipt date (SMS notification on 11/9)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...