mynx1991

has anyone tried to bring over a certificate for employment?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Are you looking to get a work visa? If so you must have a highly specialized degree as US employers are required by law to hire US workers and can only hire foreign workers if they cannot find someone qualified in the US to fill said position. Medical office assistant is not a specialized degree.

Doesn't sound like it falls under a TN visa (NAFTA workers): https://www.nafsa.org/_/file/_/amresource/8cfr2146.htm

Anything else generally requires a 4 year degree in a specialized field, often with the employer having to show that they cannot find a local US worker to fill the position (i.e. H-1B), or extraordinary ability (i.e. O-1).

Either way, the process is to find a US employer willing to petition you for the position. Without that, you're dead in the water anyway. They (well, their attorney almost always) starts the process.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

16 minutes ago, Cathi said:

Are you looking to get a work visa? If so you must have a highly specialized degree as US employers are required by law to hire US workers and can only hire foreign workers if they cannot find someone qualified in the US to fill said position. Medical office assistant is not a specialized degree.

yes a work visa. I've known of other Canadians, who work basic labour jobs though in the states. was that illegal then? 

13 minutes ago, mynx1991 said:

yes a work visa. I've known of other Canadians, who work basic labour jobs though in the states. was that illegal then? 

Depends on the job and what visa they obtained.

H-2 (seasonal/temp workers) is possible, although again it depends on the field and employer. Also, L visas for certain managerial positions can apply. There are options, although a medical office assistant is not one that appears to fit any categories mentioned.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, mynx1991 said:

I'm going to college to get a medical office assistant certificate in Canada and was told it wouldn't get me a sponsored visa in the states. has anyone tried? is this accurate? would it be invalid? 

There is currently no great need for medical assistants in the US, therefore the jobs that are available can likely be filled by US citizens.  Registered nursing on the other hand, still has labor deficits.  If you are interested in health care, your time would be better spent pursuing that degree.

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

There is currently no great need for medical assistants in the US, therefore the jobs that are available can likely be filled by US citizens.  Registered nursing on the other hand, still has labor deficits.  If you are interested in health care, your time would be better spent pursuing that degree.

Thank You for the information.

its very useful.

keep it up with more details plaese

5 hours ago, snehabopche92 said:

Thank You for the information.

its very useful.

keep it up with more details plaese

If you get a nursing degree and the US nursing qualification it’s still quite easy to get sponsored for a visa. Is this a feasible route for you? There are agencies that assist in doing the US exam and job placement but you need a recognized local nursing degree first. This is probably the lowest qualified medical route available to a visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

One of the big advantage Canadians have is the TN which gives them options many others simply do not have.

https://millermayer.com/2017/tn-visa-requirements-registered-nurse/

Good luck on your Visa Journey.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

One of the big advantage Canadians have is the TN which gives them options many others simply do not have.

https://millermayer.com/2017/tn-visa-requirements-registered-nurse/

Good luck on your Visa Journey.

Well OP isn’t a nurse yet .. from posters above sounds like current qualification does not suffice for TN

so either way a different path is needed if the US is the goal 

Timeline
Just now, SusieQQQ said:

Well OP isn’t a nurse yet .. from posters above sounds like current qualification does not suffice for TN

so either way a different path is needed if the US is the goal 

She seems to want to come in through the medical route so Nursing seems the obvious route.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

38 minutes ago, Boiler said:

She seems to want to come in through the medical route so Nursing seems the obvious route.

yes but so far this is what we've got which is a long way away?

11 hours ago, mynx1991 said:

I'm going to college to get a medical office assistant certificate in Canada and was told it wouldn't get me a sponsored visa in the states. has anyone tried? is this accurate? would it be invalid? 

Timeline

Immigration is not quick cheap or easy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

OP, you need many years of specialized university-level training to be of interest to any medical employer in the US, who would then sponsor you for a work visa.  Do a lot more research and then decide on a long-term plan.  Nursing or medical school would be the best options.  Both take years not months.  A quick certificate from a community college in medical office support won't cut it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.