portorusa

NOA2 past due, what to think?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

A question to the experienced here: If it takes too long between NOA1 and NOA2 and your case is clearly past due (comparing to other VJ cases with later PD that get approved but you are still waiting), does that mean that USCIS works on your case, but your case is too complicated and/or trigger special attention (red flag, whatever) in the eyes of USCIS?

In other words, if it takes abnormally long, does that mean that you should wait for an imminent RFE rather than a late approval?

I just don't know what to think....

13 minutes ago, portorusa said:

A question to the experienced here: If it takes too long between NOA1 and NOA2 and your case is clearly past due (comparing to other VJ cases with later PD that get approved but you are still waiting), does that mean that USCIS works on your case, but your case is too complicated and/or trigger special attention (red flag, whatever) in the eyes of USCIS?

In other words, if it takes abnormally long, does that mean that you should wait for an imminent RFE rather than a late approval?

Not necessarily.  Hence, why there is a date range ("8-12 months"), rather than a fixed date for when to expect approval.  Are you past the official date of enquiry?

13 minutes ago, portorusa said:

Nah, it’s the luck of the draw... and depends if filed by a USR or USC, your nov at TSC, they are currently processing residents with PD Dec and Citizens with PD Aug 2018.

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

All it means is that the work load of USCIS is terribly unbalanced between the various service centers. 

When we applied for K1 it took nine months to get our NOA2. Yup, NINE months. Meanwhile those lucky enough to live in a state to file at a different service center were getting approvals within DAYS to two weeks.  We did eventually get approved. No RFE. No interview. 

I've just removed conditions on my permanent residence. Filed in March last year. Everyone waits for this one but people who filed in July are getting approved and my case got approved a week ago. No RFE. No Interview.  

Like @Duke & Marie says. Luck of the draw. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

Thanks for the responses! Whatever the USCIS says about their processing times, is a bs for me. I am inclined to believe the reality, i.e. the VJ members timelines. And yes, I understand the difference between say, Potomac and Nebraska😀.What I see among my I-130 fellas of TSC following their timelines, is what VJ told me in its weekly email, Your approval is past due.

Who can explain, how does it work there, and what is the point in the « Priority Date » then??

4 minutes ago, portorusa said:

what is the point in the « Priority Date » then??

It only has meaning for preference based categories: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-july-2019.html When in a preference based category, applicants must wait until both the I-130 is approved and the priority date is current.

Fortunately, the number of Immediate Relative (IR) Visas is not limited each fiscal year.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline

Sorry for making myself unclear. 

I am talking about CR-1 visa, there is no wait for the visa number to become available.

I am talking about comparing similar cases, of the same category, the same processing center, and the same PD month.

Timeline

If I knew it back in November (my PD is 11/14/18) that it’s gonna be a « stuck case» scenario, I would have filed a 129F for K3 right after my I-130. Just for acceleration, what the heck.

4 minutes ago, portorusa said:

I would have filed a 129F for K3 right after my I-130. Just for acceleration, what the heck.

Straight from USCIS; https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/k-3k-4-nonimmigrant-visas:

If USCIS approves your Form I-130 before or at the same time as your Form I-129F, your spouse and his or her children will no longer need a K-3 or K-4 visa. This occurs in the vast majority of cases.

Nowadays, the I-129F being administratively closed is to be expected for K-3 attempts.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A "delayed" NOA2 could mean that your case triggered a name or background check. It could mean that you're on a slow officers desk. It could mean your case is lost. It likely means nothing. Unfortunately no one here is going to be able to tell you why. Only USCIS can tell you why and only after your case is outside of normal processing, if you're lucky. Ignore the VJ stats, they can only give you an estimate based on the average case. Every case is different and comparing your case to others is just going to make you feel awful. 

TSC has slowed down considerably over the past few weeks and as a result there are still plenty of October and November filers still waiting. Heck, 25% of cases around our PD in September are still waiting (including us) if the case tracker app is anything to go by. As hard as it is, try to distance yourself from the process until the date on which you can make an inquiry. The impact that radio silence from USCIS has on your mental health is no joke so lean on your spouse or people here who understand what you are going through as much as you need to to keep yourself sane. Chances are your case is totally normal and you'll hear something once TSC starts picking up speed again.

PD dates don't really mean anything for CR1 cases when the sponsor is a USC because that is not a limited category, but they are given to us regardless (likely because we use the same process as categories that are limited and it's easier to give everyone numbers even if they don't need them than to keep track of who does and doesn't need one). Oh, and a longer case doesn't mean you should wait for an imminent RFE, plenty of cases are approved without RFE after a long wait :) 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
23 minutes ago, portorusa said:

If I knew it back in November (my PD is 11/14/18) that it’s gonna be a « stuck case» scenario, I would have filed a 129F for K3 right after my I-130. Just for acceleration, what the heck.

This is a very new trick and so far the only evidence of it happening is at Nebraska which is severely behind. Filing it when you filed would not have made a difference. Filing it now would just be extra paperwork for you since they are taking at least 3 months to process, if TSC even treats them like Nebraska has been in the first place. 

Edited by DGF

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

6 hours ago, DGF said:

PD dates don't really mean anything for CR1 cases when the sponsor is a USC because that is not a limited category, but they are given to us regardless (likely because we use the same process as categories that are limited and it's easier to give everyone numbers even if they don't need them than to keep track of who does and doesn't need one). Oh, and a longer case doesn't mean you should wait for an imminent RFE, plenty of cases are approved without RFE after a long wait :) 

PD still matters for CR1.. like everyone else our I130 still needs to be processed at USCIS.. it’s only when it gets to NVC that being the spouse of a citizen Has its advantages, because unlike residents we don’t need to wait in line for the visa to become available.

Edited by Duke & Marie
Typo

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.