Edddie&Beatrice

30 year age gap, married on 2nd visit- advice? (split)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
13 hours ago, carmel34 said:

I get that you're worried, waiting for the I-130 petition to be approved so that you can move on to the NVC stage.  You want to be with your husband, the love of your life.  We're all going through this and it's painful.  The waiting really sucks, and you start to wonder why it's taking so long....  Hang in there, you'll be approved soon.  TSC is taking at least 7-8 months.  Be grateful that you didn't get assigned to Nebraska!  Those people have been waiting almost a year for just the petition adjudication.  If your relationship is bona fide, your documents are all good, and there are no problems related to inadmissibility, your petition will be approved.  It's hard not to worry but try to focus on the next stage and get all the documents ready to upload as it goes so much faster after the petition is approved.  If you have any red flags like a big age gap then side-load additional evidence of your bona fide relationship like financial co-mingling and visits since filing the petition at the NVC stage.  It only took us 4 months from the petition approval to receiving the CR-1 visa, so before you know it, you'll be together.  Good luck!

I am in an age gap relationships 30years apart. He has visited twice, the second time we married.  

We are about to fill the 1-130 petation will the two visit be enough evidence. 

Any more evidence you would suggest?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** post split from other thread by other member about other issue.  PLease ask questions about your own case in your own thread.  ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

:time:

It would be helpful to know more about your situation.  Some countries it may play a bigger part in the scrutiny due to marriage fraud if the wife is older? I am older than my husband and have had a bumpy ride during our journey, could it be related to our age gap? I think so and the recommendations to me are to spend time together. I am sure others will chime in :)

(L)(L) Our Story (L) (L)

11.11.2015 Met
(L)04.25.2017 Married(L)
       (L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Age is as we say on VJ just a number.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

More face to face time always helps.   We are 26 years apart but married a year later with only 3 visits prior to marriage and then lived together before filing.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The big question is what is culturally normal ?   If  younger men marry old woman as the norm there you are OK.  If not then it is a red flag.  Most places older men marry younger woman so it isn't an issue.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
11 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

The big question is what is culturally normal ?   If  younger men marry old woman as the norm there you are OK.  If not then it is a red flag.  Most places older men marry younger woman so it isn't an issue.

IMO ........ I don't think that is many places, it is a worldwide epidemic of double standards;) 

(referring to the woman being older :))

Edited by *BestDayEver0425*

(L)(L) Our Story (L) (L)

11.11.2015 Met
(L)04.25.2017 Married(L)
       (L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think we must remember that what may be described as cultural norms do not hold true when we add Immigration into the mix.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband and I have a 27 year age gap and a relatively short long-distance relationship, so I was very concerned that our marriage would not be considered bona fide.  Plus he's from Brazil so I was worried that our case would be scrutinized every step of the way.  We were prepared for a denial with a plan B that I would move to Brazil.  Surprisingly, everything went very smoothly, the process was 11 months from filing the I-130 petition to CR-1 visa received in hand, most likely because of the many trips to be together (9) and all the evidence we submitted, described below.

Here's what we sent with the I-130 petition:

a few photos of each visit together, date stamped, from multiple visits over time (4 before filing petition)

four or five photos from the wedding, date stamped, some with family and friends

passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel receipts, restaurant receipts as evidence of these 4 visits

joint credit card account statements showing that we are already co-mingling finances

documents showing my Brazilian husband as my beneficiary on life insurance, retirement accounts, investment accounts

evidence of my husband's health insurance, dental insurance based on my US employer's plan

evidence of my husband as my emergency contact at work, statement that he is my husband on employer's HR website

wills and living wills

Christmas cards addressed to both of us at my US address

copies of cards and letters we have exchanged since the beginning of our relationship

wedding ring receipts

email logs, phone call logs, video call logs to show continuous daily communication

representative chat records (only a few pages of sample chats) from WhatsApp, Messenger

printout of our Facebook relationship with a few photos, comments from friends and family, words of congratulations on wedding day

affidavits from family members attesting to the nature of our relationship

brief statement of relationship history, how we met, how the relationship developed over time

We uploaded additional evidence of three more visits since filing the petition, at the NVC stage, and took more evidence from our 11-day trip to London and Paris together in April to the June 12 interview, but the CO did not even ask for it.  The interview was very quick and she said we were approved.  It was obvious from the questions that she had pretty much decided to approve the visa before the interview.  Two days later the visa was sent to my husband, and he received it a week after the interview.

I think the lesson learned from our case is that any relationship with red flags like an age gap or quick marriage after meeting (we married on my fourth trip to Brazil) can be overcome with time spent together and lots of evidence to support the relationship as bona fide.  Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 6/25/2019 at 8:02 AM, carmel34 said:

My husband and I have a 27 year age gap and a relatively short long-distance relationship, so I was very concerned that our marriage would not be considered bona fide.  Plus he's from Brazil so I was worried that our case would be scrutinized every step of the way.  We were prepared for a denial with a plan B that I would move to Brazil.  Surprisingly, everything went very smoothly, the process was 11 months from filing the I-130 petition to CR-1 visa received in hand, most likely because of the many trips to be together (9) and all the evidence we submitted, described below.

Here's what we sent with the I-130 petition:

a few photos of each visit together, date stamped, from multiple visits over time (4 before filing petition)

four or five photos from the wedding, date stamped, some with family and friends

passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel receipts, restaurant receipts as evidence of these 4 visits

joint credit card account statements showing that we are already co-mingling finances

documents showing my Brazilian husband as my beneficiary on life insurance, retirement accounts, investment accounts

evidence of my husband's health insurance, dental insurance based on my US employer's plan

evidence of my husband as my emergency contact at work, statement that he is my husband on employer's HR website

wills and living wills

Christmas cards addressed to both of us at my US address

copies of cards and letters we have exchanged since the beginning of our relationship

wedding ring receipts

email logs, phone call logs, video call logs to show continuous daily communication

representative chat records (only a few pages of sample chats) from WhatsApp, Messenger

printout of our Facebook relationship with a few photos, comments from friends and family, words of congratulations on wedding day

affidavits from family members attesting to the nature of our relationship

brief statement of relationship history, how we met, how the relationship developed over time

We uploaded additional evidence of three more visits since filing the petition, at the NVC stage, and took more evidence from our 11-day trip to London and Paris together in April to the June 12 interview, but the CO did not even ask for it.  The interview was very quick and she said we were approved.  It was obvious from the questions that she had pretty much decided to approve the visa before the interview.  Two days later the visa was sent to my husband, and he received it a week after the interview.

I think the lesson learned from our case is that any relationship with red flags like an age gap or quick marriage after meeting (we married on my fourth trip to Brazil) can be overcome with time spent together and lots of evidence to support the relationship as bona fide.  Good luck!

very helpful, thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.