Jump to content
Dee11

N400 are your parents citizens? Question

18 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello, In the application it asks if any of my parents are us citizens and I put no.

My parents divorced about 10 years ago and I haven't talked to my dad probably 7 years and I'm not sure if he ever became one.

I have the Uscis interview tomorrow and if the officer asks me if any of my parents are us citizens should I tell them no or should I be clear and tell them that I am not sure due to not tallking to my dad for several years?

 

Thank you.

 

Edited by Dee11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dee11 said:

Hello, In the application it asks if any of my parents are us citizens and I put no.

My parents divorced about 10 years ago and I haven't talked to my dad probably 7 years and I'm not sure if he ever became one.

I have the Uscis interview tomorrow and if the officer asks me if any of my parents are us citizens should I tell them no or should I be clear and tell them that I am not sure due to not tallking to my dad for several years?

 

Thank you.

 

Why not called your dad ask him hello after 7 years how is life treat you and things going on after that asking him if he ever become american citizen just simple things if you clear to tell officers that you are not sure them they might put you on discussion cant be made or either approved just few minutes phone to your dad not gonna hurts anything at all  

 

Good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bestluck said:

Why not called your dad ask him hello after 7 years how is life treat you and things going on after that asking him if he ever become american citizen just simple things if you clear to tell officers that you are not sure them they might put you on discussion cant be made or either approved just few minutes phone to your dad not gonna hurts anything at all  

 

Good luck 

The relationship  with his father may not be in a place to even  do that. You can state the situation of his status  as you last knew .. then if asked,  state you are estranged from him and have no further knowledge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

The relationship  with his father may not be in a place to even  do that. You can state the situation of his status  as you last knew .. then if asked,  state you are estranged from him and have no further knowledge 

I agree with you but he need to tell IO truth , but this could be delay his application too if it was me even i have no great relationship with my dad i might still ask him it just me and would call him . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, bestluck said:

I agree with you but he need to tell IO truth , but this could be delay his application too if it was me even i have no great relationship with my dad i might still ask him it just me and would call him . 

He can tell the truth without needing to try to contact his estranged father. Each one of us faces a situation from our own perspective. 

Edited by Lil bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dee11 said:

Hello, In the application it asks if any of my parents are us citizens and I put no.

My parents divorced about 10 years ago and I haven't talked to my dad probably 7 years and I'm not sure if he ever became one.

I have the Uscis interview tomorrow and if the officer asks me if any of my parents are us citizens should I tell them no or should I be clear and tell them that I am not sure due to not tallking to my dad for several years?

 

Thank you.

 

The truth. 

When I last had contact with my father I do not believe he was a USC. I have  no knowledge of his  situation since then. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dee11 said:

Hello, In the application it asks if any of my parents are us citizens and I put no.

My parents divorced about 10 years ago and I haven't talked to my dad probably 7 years and I'm not sure if he ever became one.

I have the Uscis interview tomorrow and if the officer asks me if any of my parents are us citizens should I tell them no or should I be clear and tell them that I am not sure due to not tallking to my dad for several years?

 

Thank you.

 

You've stated that the truth is you do not know. Just say that. Life can be complicated, and they understand.


c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

 

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-02-27 Package received

2019-02-27 Priority Date

2019-03-04 Notice Date

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-23 Update that USPS picked up the card (included tracking number). Estimated arrival: May 28

2019-05-24 I-130 and I-485 Approval Letters received via USPS.

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if this is applicable to you, but don't you have your Dad's information on your birth certificate? Unless your Mom did not allow to have your Dad information on your birth certificate then you really don't have info of your Dad.

Nevertheless, when it comes to immigration it is always better to tell the truth. If that question comes up on your interview, just tell the IO that you don't know but you put NO instead since the only option is Yes and No.

I'm pretty sure the IO will understand given the situation of your parents divorce.

Edited by Lemon23

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

 

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

 

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lemon23 said:

I'm not sure if this is applicable to you, but don't you have your Dad's information on your birth certificate? Unless your Mom did not allow to have your Dad information on your birth certificate then you really don't have info of your Dad.

Nevertheless, when it comes to immigration it is always better to tell the truth. If that question comes up on your interview, just tell the IO that you don't know but you put NO instead since the only option is Yes and No.

I'm pretty sure the IO will understand given the situation of your parents divorce.

My reading of the initial post was that his father was not a USC at the time .. possibly LPR ? I may be wrong ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

My reading of the initial post was that his father was not a USC at the time .. possibly LPR ? I may be wrong ... 

OP's only basis would be the info of his Dad on his birth certificate since OP haven't talked to his Dad for many years, at least there's a document to show if in case the IO asks for it.

But if OP's Mom did not allow to indicate OP's Dad on the birth certificate then OP can only tell the truth that he or she don't know.


VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

 

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

 

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lemon23 said:

OP's only basis would be the info of his Dad on his birth certificate since OP haven't talked to his Dad for many years, at least there's a document to show if in case the IO asks for it.

But if OP's Mom did not allow to indicate OP's Dad on the birth certificate then OP can only tell the truth that he or she don't know.

Yes both my mom and dad are on my birth certificate and they are both permanent residents not sure if my dad has become a us citizen since I last spoke to him and I don't have his number or address. I also live in a different state from mom and dad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dee11 said:

Yes both my mom and dad are on my birth certificate and they are both permanent residents not sure if my dad has become a us citizen since I last spoke to him and I don't have his number or address. I also live in a different state from mom and dad.

Good! you can use that as basis, if the question comes up on your interview just tell the IO that you don't no since you haven't talked to your Dad for many years, I'm sure you'll be fine.


VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

 

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

 

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dee11 said:

Yes both my mom and dad are on my birth certificate and they are both permanent residents not sure if my dad has become a us citizen since I last spoke to him and I don't have his number or address. I also live in a different state from mom and dad.

 

I don't think it is terribly unusual. I'm glad I wasn't asked the question. I'm also not sure if my biological father is a USC. I think he must be at this point, but I don't feel like contacting him to ask him about it either.


3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not think it will be an issue - your naturalization does not have direct relation to your parents' status. If it comes up, then just tell you are not sure and the reason why.  And I do not think you will be asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...