VanillaCats

Does my brother require a visa?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, 

My brother is 14 years old and a British citizen. He has a British passport. The issue starts here:  our father was Iranian but passed away 6 years ago. Since then, my brother has not been able to acquire an Iranian passport because under Islamic law, my grandfather needs to grant him permission to obtain a passport. He hasn’t granted permission so my brother only has his British passport. 

He hasn’t visited Iran during this time because he doesn’t have an Iranian passport, only his British. 

So my question is, does he need to apply for a tourist visa or not to visit the US? Is he still a dual national if he doesn’t have that second passport? If not can he just apply for ESTA before travel or does he still need a tourist visa?? 

Thanks in advance and I’d appreciate any help or guidance! 

Edited by VanillaCats

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Doesn't matter if he has an Iranian passport or not, what matters is if he's an Iranian citizen. If he is, which it sounds like, then yes he needs to apply for a tourist visa at the US embassy. He can't travel on ESTA.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

11 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Doesn't matter if he has an Iranian passport or not, what matters is if he's an Iranian citizen. If he is, which it sounds like, then yes he needs to apply for a tourist visa at the US embassy. He can't travel on ESTA.

But he also is British citizen and has British passport. IMO that means he is eligible for ESTA.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

26 minutes ago, VanillaCats said:

So my question is, does he need to apply for a tourist visa or not to visit the US? Is he still a dual national if he doesn’t have that second passport? If not can he just apply for ESTA before travel or does he still need a tourist visa?? 

If he holds a British passport (with a chip) then he meets the requirements to travel on ESTA. That is assuming he meets the other requirements like no overstays, visa denials, etc.

From US Customs and Border Protection:

I have dual citizenship from both a VWP country and a non-VWP country?

If you are flying under the terms of the VWP, with your VWP passport, you must apply for ESTA. If you are using your non-VWP country's passport, you will require a visa and therefore ESTA does not apply to you.

Link https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1094/kw/esta If I hold two citizenships/session/L3RpbWUvMTU1Nzc2MjAzMy9zaWQvSnJvWmdEZW8%3D

Simple. He applies for ESTA and that in itself will tell him if he can get ESTA or needs to apply for a visa.

My reading of it concords with Scandi, that the mere fact that he is a national of Iran means he can't use VWP, from the horse's mouth:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/visa-waiver-program/visa-waiver-program-improvement-and-terrorist-travel-prevention-act-faq

Under the Act, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States, without a waiver, under the VWP:

• Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, or Yemen at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions); and
  • Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Iraq, Syria, Iran, or Sudan.
Edited by SusieQQQ

55 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

If he holds a British passport (with a chip) then he meets the requirements to travel on ESTA. That is assuming he meets the other requirements like no overstays, visa denials, etc.

From US Customs and Border Protection:

I have dual citizenship from both a VWP country and a non-VWP country?

If you are flying under the terms of the VWP, with your VWP passport, you must apply for ESTA. If you are using your non-VWP country's passport, you will require a visa and therefore ESTA does not apply to you.

Link https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1094/kw/esta If I hold two citizenships/session/L3RpbWUvMTU1Nzc2MjAzMy9zaWQvSnJvWmdEZW8%3D

That doesn't take into account the travel ban country restrictions on VWP. I have a British friend who has only ever been british but she can't use VWP because she worked for a charity in some of the travel ban countries. See my post above re VWP exceptions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Roel said:

But he also is British citizen and has British passport. IMO that means he is eligible for ESTA.

Doesn't matter how many citizenships he has in "ESTA countries" if he is also a citizen in any of the "travel restricted" countries. Iran is on that list, he can't travel with ESTA if he's a citizen of Iran. Iranian passport or not. British citizenship or not. Doesn't matter.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

On the basis that he is Iranian he needs a B Visa.

A lack of Passport does not determine nationality. Most people do not have Passports.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

He needs to apply for a B2 visa.  Being an Iranian national, (considering he is eligible for an Iranian passport) he is ineligible to travel to the US without a waiver. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.