bellsbells

RFE for meeting in last 2 years: does this mean our lawyer messed up?

54 posts in this topic

I too initially hired the services of a visa assistance agency that was headed by an immigration lawyer (albeit in my wife's home country). Long story short, the information they were telling me did not match up to what I was reading on VJ. They kept telling me to wait to start the process but to pay in advance 🙄. I am happy I only made one payment before I decided to do the process on my own. Got the wife here in less than a year. I guess it really depends on who you hire. But on the other hand, I'd rather do it myself for free than pay someone extra money on top of all the immigration fees.

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Marriage : July 2, 2014

March 7, 2015: I-130 Sent

March 17, 2015: I-130 NOA1 received in mail

March 17, 2015: I-129F Sent

March 28, 2015: I-129F NOA1 received in mail

April 3, 2015: I-130 updated on USCIS website to approved! awaiting hardcopy of NOA2

April 14, 2015: Case was sent to NVC

April 18, 2015: I-130 NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

April 22, 2015: Case was received by NVC

May 1, 2015: Case number assigned

May 4, 2015 : I-129F NOA2 received in mail

June 2, 2015 : Selected Agent Via Phone

June 16, 2015 : Paid AOS and IV Fees Via Mail

June 22, 2015 : Wife receives Appointment letter from Manila Embassy (I-129F)

*proceeding with K-3 Visa instead. Cannot wait for the NVC problems to resolve

June 23, 2015: Interview scheduled for July 30

July 9, 2015 : Medical Completed

July 30, 2015 : Interview Complete APPROVED!!

August 16, 2015 : Received Letter from NVC that I-130 is being expedited to Manila Embassy.

August 26, 2015 : Manila Embassy closes K3. Proceeding with CR1 again. New interview date September 16, 2015

September 16, 2015 : Interview Complete APPROVED!! ISSUED on same day. :dance:

September 23, 2015 : Visa in hand
September 29, 2015 : POE

You said your fiancé is French but that you have a Chinese visa and stamps.

did y’all meet in China at some point?

if you want to use that as proof you would need to also provide that he was in China as well, unless he currently lives in China.

if you are proving you’ve met in 2 years by showing you met in a country that wasn’t each other’s home country, you have to take the second step of proving you were both in this other country together. So you’ll want his passport stamps and such too.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

39 minutes ago, Ash. said:

if you want to use that as proof you would need to also provide that he was in China as well, unless he currently lives in China.

if you are proving you’ve met in 2 years by showing you met in a country that wasn’t each other’s home country, you have to take the second step of proving you were both in this other country together. So you’ll want his passport stamps and such too.

Sounds like they met there for vacation.  My husband and I also met in Canada on more than one occasion, and we included the stamps from his passport for those visits.  

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Sounds like they met there for vacation.  My husband and I also met in Canada on more than one occasion, and we included the stamps from his passport for those visits.  

Yea most likely. Hopefully they’ll be able to get proof they were both in China at the same time, passport stamps, hotel bills, something.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The lawyer made a huge mistake in not asking you for such evidence and sending it. You're actually very lucky to have gotten an RFE and not a denial that would result in you having to file the petition all over again (with new fees etc). Evidence of having met in person within the last two years is one of the main requirements. Like I said, you're lucky to just have gotten an RFE.

Fire that lawyer immediately.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
17 hours ago, bellsbells said:

After waiting over 4 months since the first NOA for our K-1, I received an RFE asking for proof of meeting in last two years. I'm pretty surprised that this happened, because we hired an immigration lawyer to submit the application for us, and it seems to me that he should have included everything necessary so we could have avoided this kind of delay. He never asked us for anything but the dates of our last meetings and photos of us together. Does the RFE mean that he didn't do his job properly, or is this standard practice? Thanks.

No, the RFE doesn't mean that he didn't do his job properly. You are ultimately responsible for your submission, since you signed it. There are good lawyers and not so good lawyers. You may have chosen a not so good lawyer. I used a lawyer who I researched in advance, but I also filled out the forms myself so that I could check her work, and I gave her all of the evidence that I wanted included with my application. She only made sure that I submitted the minimum evidence required.

If I were you, I would fire the lawyer and either submit on your own, or research to find a better lawyer.

Edited by junkmart

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
10 hours ago, Ash. said:

He lived in China for a period of time and I visited him there. He has proof of that in his passport. However, I'm not sure his passport will show an entry stamp to France, as they don't stamp passports of French nationals on entry. I wonder what would be the best way to prove that he was in France when I visited him there before and after the China trip?

Edited by bellsbells

K-1 visa petition for French fiancé

Consulate received petition: July 18, 2019

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, bellsbells said:

He lived in China for a period of time and I visited him there. He has proof of that in his passport. However, I'm not sure his passport will show an entry stamp to France, as they don't stamp passports of French nationals on entry. I wonder what would be the best way to prove that he was in France when I visited him there before and after the China trip?

You only need to prove one meeting.   Go with the one that you have the strongest evidence of 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

You only need to prove one meeting.   Go with the one that you have the strongest evidence of 

Really? I would think evidence of 3 meetings would make an even stronger case. People have said the more evidence, the better.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, bellsbells said:

Really? I would think evidence of 3 meetings would make an even stronger case. People have said the more evidence, the better.

For the interview but not the petition.   The petition does not adjudicate the validity of the relationship 

No such thing as extra credit at the petition,  you either met within two years or you didn't 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

For the interview but not the petition.   The petition does not adjudicate the validity of the relationship 

No such thing as extra credit at the petition,  you either met within two years or you didn't 

Understood. But since I have already put together evidence for all 3 trips, is there a good reason *not* to send it all now?

Timeline
1 minute ago, bellsbells said:

Understood. But since I have already put together evidence for all 3 trips, is there a good reason *not* to send it all now?

No, but you best have one that is undeniable rather than three that are halfass

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

No, but you best have one that is undeniable rather than three that are halfass

I have plane ticket receipts (showing that the flights were completed), hotel reservations, and passport stamps for all 3 trips. I think this is pretty good, no?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, bellsbells said:

I have plane ticket receipts (showing that the flights were completed), hotel reservations, and passport stamps for all 3 trips. I think this is pretty good, no?

When you say flight receipt,  what does that mean exactly?  Boarding pass?  How does it show flight completion? How does it show you were on the plane?

In country reservations means you booked a hotel,  a copy of the hotel folio would be better 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.