Celie

Birth Certificate Copy or Original for AOS

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey y'all!

We are gathering our documents for AOS and I was wondering if we could send in a copy of the Certified Birth Certificate and a copy of the Certified translation for the Beneficiary. He only brought one original certified copy with him and we were hoping to keep it in case it was needed down the line for anything else. If not, we can send this one in and get one on our next trip to Lebanon but that won't be for a few years until we are settled comfortably and who knows what can happen between then and now.

I found conflicting info on it and one thread that said we can send a copy but it's from 2013 so I wanted to see what the fresh advice for this was.

Thanks in advance!!

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I generally always say originals regardless if the other is "certified" but I think you'll get answers here still saying either way. That's why always tell people get multiples of everything just in case.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

Hey y'all!

We are gathering our documents for AOS and I was wondering if we could send in a copy of the Certified Birth Certificate and a copy of the Certified translation for the Beneficiary. He only brought one original certified copy with him and we were hoping to keep it in case it was needed down the line for anything else. If not, we can send this one in and get one on our next trip to Lebanon but that won't be for a few years until we are settled comfortably and who knows what can happen between then and now.

I found conflicting info on it and one thread that said we can send a copy but it's from 2013 so I wanted to see what the fresh advice for this was.

Thanks in advance!!

You simply need to read the instructions.  Photocopy of  original or certified original 

YMMV

1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

I generally always say originals regardless if the other is "certified" but I think you'll get answers here still saying either way. That's why always tell people get multiples of everything just in case.

Yes, original BC in Lebanon is really just a prescription note from the doctor at the time of birth that he was born lol so we felt that wouldn't fly. So, what people end up doing is going to the Registry and getting a certified copy of the birth registration. He bought 3 but used one for his passport, one for his interview, and kept one extra which is the one we are using now.

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Do not send any originals of anything to the USCIS unless they are specifically requested. Secondly,  with the high instance of identity fraud, I would NEVER let such a document out of my control 

YMMV

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You simply need to read the instructions.  Photocopy of  original or certified original 

Thanks! The first time I skimmed through them was a while back and I must have forgotten to check. Would that apply to the translation also? Upon re-reading them, it doesn't really specify on that in the instructions.

Spoiler

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

Timeline
2 hours ago, celie&joseph said:

Thanks! The first time I skimmed through them was a while back and I must have forgotten to check. Would that apply to the translation also? Upon re-reading them, it doesn't really specify on that in the instructions.

Certainly 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Do not send originals.  

Bring your originals and copies to AOS interview.  Do not surrender originals.  

Foreign birth records can be very hard to replace.   

In my case, I don't have the very very original document for when I was born (lost). However, I can request a (government-issued) "certified copy" to the Register in my home country. Its what I did for our K1 consulate interview and on our AOS application, I submitted a photocopy of that certified copy, along with its English translation. And I haven't had any issues yet. My Interview is already scheduled. If for some reason I get asked why it doesn't look like an old and dusty paper from the 1993 when I was born. I don't have the very original, this certified government issued copy is all I've got.

This is what the I-485 Instruction have to say about Birth Certificate.

All Form I-485 applicants, except refugees and asylees, must submit a photocopy of their birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority from the country of birth.  Although refugees and asylees are not required to submit a photocopy of their birth certificate, if the birth certificate is available, refugees and asylees should submit a copy of the birth certificate.  USCIS will only accept a long-form birth certificate which lists at least one parent.  

If your birth certificate is unavailable or does not exist, you must prove its unavailability or nonexistence and provide acceptable alternative evidence of birth.  (Refugees and asylees do not need to prove unavailability or nonexistence of their birth certificate.)  You can look up your country of birth on the following website, travel.state.gov/content/ visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html, to see if birth certificates are known to be unavailable or nonexistent in that country.

If this resource shows that birth certificates from your country of birth are generally unavailable or nonexistent, you do not need to do anything to prove that your birth certificate is unavailable or nonexistent.

If this resource does not show that birth certificates from your country of birth are generally unavailable or nonexistent, you must submit an original document from the relevant governmental authority explaining why your birth record does not exist and indicate whether similar records for the time and place are available.

When your birth certificate is not available or does not exist, you must submit other acceptable evidence relating to the facts of your birth, such as church or school records, hospital or medical records, personal affidavits, or similar evidence. 

Edited by Sav&Har

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.