mogiftney

I-134 Joint Sponsor (I am unemployed)

37 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hello, I’ve been looking more into this whole process this morning. I’m currently just starting the process, I’m finishing the I-129F and haven’t sent anything off yet. However, I have discovered that the I-134 will need to be filled by myself and my mother who will be the joint sponsor, even though I’m unemployed, and taken to the London embassy by my partner way down the road. My mother supports me financially and will be supporting my partner as well, so she can prove this in her I-134, but I won’t be able to put anything down. Will this look terrible even if my mother is supporting her? I’m sure it would look better if I was employed, but first off, I just don’t need to work. I’m supported by my mother, and would rather (like everyone else) spend my time actually with my partner if I don’t need to be employed because I have enough support and savings from my family. How would my partner go about explaining this to the embassy if they ask why I haven’t been employed? Would she say in so many words what I just said, and would that be acceptable? I assume I could submit some kind of proof of my savings along with proof of my mother’s support for my partner?

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
10 minutes ago, mogiftney said:

Hello, I’ve been looking more into this whole process this morning. I’m currently just starting the process, I’m finishing the I-129F and haven’t sent anything off yet. However, I have discovered that the I-134 will need to be filled by myself and my mother who will be the joint sponsor, even though I’m unemployed, and taken to the London embassy by my partner way down the road. My mother supports me financially and will be supporting my partner as well, so she can prove this in her I-134, but I won’t be able to put anything down. Will this look terrible even if my mother is supporting her? I’m sure it would look better if I was employed, but first off, I just don’t need to work. I’m supported by my mother, and would rather (like everyone else) spend my time actually with my partner if I don’t need to be employed because I have enough support and savings from my family. How would my partner go about explaining this to the embassy if they ask why I haven’t been employed? Would she say in so many words what I just said, and would that be acceptable? I assume I could submit some kind of proof of my savings along with proof of my mother’s support for my partner?

Hi.  I don't know how your beneficiary's country will view your financial situation.  The good thing is you have a co-sponsor for the K-1 visa.  I cannot judge you on not choosing to work.  I just wanted to point out that from everything I am reading here on VJ, if your beneficiary gets approved by the embassy consular, you get married in the US, you have to file for AOS after getting married.  You will have to prove that you meet the financial guidelines, which is higher than when applying for K-1.  Will you have sufficient income by that time?  Best wishes.   

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, PandT said:

I just wanted to point out that from everything I am reading here on VJ, if your beneficiary gets approved by the embassy consular, you get married in the US, you have to file for AOS after getting married.  You will have to prove that you meet the financial guidelines, which is higher than when applying for K-1.  Will you have sufficient income by that time?  Best wishes.   

But mom can sign that too. Or am I wrong? And it doesnt seem like those 25% more are worth talking about for the OP 

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Timeline
4 minutes ago, PandT said:

Hi.  I don't know how your beneficiary's country will view your financial situation.  The good thing is you have a co-sponsor for the K-1 visa.  I cannot judge you on not choosing to work.  I just wanted to point out that from everything I am reading here on VJ, if your beneficiary gets approved by the embassy consular, you get married in the US, you have to file for AOS after getting married.  You will have to prove that you meet the financial guidelines, which is higher than when applying for K-1.  Will you have sufficient income by that time?  Best wishes.   

Thanks for your kind and informative reply! Thanks for raising this point. I will look further into the AOS process and see what kind of plan we can come up with. Do you know if my mother could also co sponsor that process, and it would just be a higher requirement of income for her, or would I NEED employment (as an actual requirement) at that point to get her AOS process going?

Edited by mogiftney

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, mogiftney said:

Thanks for your kind and informative reply! Thanks for raising this point. I will look further into the AOS process and see what kind of plan we can come up with. Do you know if my mother could also co sponsor that process, and it would just be a higher requirement of income for her, or would I NEED employment (as an actual requirement) at that point to get her AOS process going?

Joint sponsors are currently allowed for AOS

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

But mom can sign that too. Or am I wrong? And it doesnt seem like those 25% more are worth talking about for the OP 

I feel like I’ve read this somewhere, and I truly hope this is the case. I will definitely look more into this.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Joint sponsors are currently allowed for AOS

Awesome. Thanks again!

Timeline

What I forgot to mention is that you need to make sure if the embassy in your beneficiarys country accept join sponsors since there are some that won't.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

What I forgot to mention is that you need to make sure if the embassy in your beneficiarys country accept join sponsors since there are some that won't.

The OP needs to fill out their profile to help get the correct answer easier

OPs will be going through London 

YMMV

Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

The OP needs to fill out their profile to help get the correct answer easier

OPs will be going through London 

London is fine with co-sponsoring from what I know.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

My partner will be going to the London embassy. I have no idea how to find out if they accept joint sponsors, though. Do you know where I could find that info?

Timeline
Just now, mogiftney said:

My partner will be going to the London embassy. I have no idea how to find out if they accept joint sponsors, though. Do you know where I could find that info?

London specific questions are best posted in the UK regional forum.   Many experienced members who have gone through London post there

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

London specific questions are best posted in the UK regional forum.   Many experienced members who have gone through London post there

Thanks!! Great advice. My partner will be posting there soon to find out more info. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, mogiftney said:

Thanks!! Great advice. My partner will be posting there soon to find out more info. 

You should be to when appropriate.   

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline
6 hours ago, mogiftney said:

I am stunned by your comments. 

What do you intend to do if/when your mother dies?  Do you have multi millions in savings to support you, your spouse and any children? 

Edited by CEE53147

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.