M&Y_2019

Do I need a co-sponsor? Meet income requirement but W2s from past two years show low income.

6 posts in this topic

I'm considering whether to use a parent as a cosponsor, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I'd rather not if my income (alone) will be sufficient for the application. 

The problem is that I lived in Japan for two years before moving back to the USA and starting the K1 process. I've been taking the FEIE (foreign earned income exclusion) with my tax filings and excluding all income I earned in Japan from US taxation. As such, my AGA for the past two years on tax returns is very low. I also had a period of unemployment last year prior to moving back to the US, which lowered my total income even further. I won't have a tax return that shows my full US-based salary until I file in 2020 for the current tax year (2019). 

Will the fact that I am employed now (in the US) and making more than enough income (letter from employer + copy of pay stubs) be sufficient, or is the low income reported on my tax returns from the prior two years going to be a problem? I don't have a substantial amount of other assets or savings. 

USCIS cares about what you make Now, however they also want to see IRS transcript and you dont have any, right? I mean the ones that exceed the poverty level? 

With your I-864 you have to send full tax return plus W-2 and letter from your employer. I feel like you might want to use a co sponsor in case IO will ask for that. How long have you been working now? Can you provide at least 6 months of pay stubs? 

Edited by AnJay

“Life is a roller coaster, just enjoy the ride”

I say have a cosponsor or at least have them on speed dial in case of the CO requesting one.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

32 minutes ago, AnJay said:

USCIS cares about what you make Now, however they also want to see IRS transcript and you dont have any, right? I mean the ones that exceed the poverty level? 

With your I-864 you have to send full tax return plus W-2 and letter from your employer. I feel like you might want to use a co sponsor in case IO will ask for that. How long have you been working now? Can you provide at least 6 months of pay stubs? 

I do have tax returns for the past two years, but the foreign income I earned (while it is reported) is not included in AGI calculation, so it makes my income look low. 

I have been back in the US and working full time since November 2018 - so I’d be able to provide 6 months of pay stubs. The problem is that my tax return only shows that US income from November/December 2018 in the AGI. I was unemployed for several months before that. I submitted my I-129F in January this year, about two months after I moved back.

Edited by M&Y_2019

12 hours ago, M&Y_2019 said:

I do have tax returns for the past two years, but the foreign income I earned (while it is reported) is not included in AGI calculation, so it makes my income look low. 

I have been back in the US and working full time since November 2018 - so I’d be able to provide 6 months of pay stubs. The problem is that my tax return only shows that US income from November/December 2018 in the AGI. I was unemployed for several months before that. I submitted my I-129F in January this year, about two months after I moved back.

I would suggest to have co sponsot in line if you would need one. IO will decide this, we can not tell for sure.

“Life is a roller coaster, just enjoy the ride”

On 4/16/2019 at 6:54 PM, AnJay said:

I would suggest to have co sponsot in line if you would need one. IO will decide this, we can not tell for sure.

A couple of posters have mentioned this, but I'm a bit confused. Are you saying they will give me the opportunity to come back and provide a co-sponsor if they deem my assets/income insufficient? 

I was under the impression I'd have to submit a co-sponsor initially, otherwise if I did it myself and I got denied there wouldn't be an opportunity to come back and resubmit. 

I can definitely submit it myself and just have my one of my parent's available as a backup if needed, just so long as they will give me the opportunity to have them fill out the forms and add them as a co-sponsor later. 

I guess this is a weird situation because my current income is more than enough to qualify, it's just my past income on the tax returns isnt reflective of my current income. 

Edited by M&Y_2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.