Aosap402

AOS wasent abandoned after leaving u.s before AP was issued?

81 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, AstroCanada said:

It's all honestly pretty vague from what I've read.  If the AP is approved, it certainly seems like re-entry is possible.  You're in the corner cases now, where no one on this forum is an expert, and different outcomes happen depending on the individual and the CBP officer.  

If you opt for spousal visa from out of the US, you're looking at 1-2 years apart.  You might want to weight that against returning and trying to continue the AOS since AP has indeed been granted.  

You missed the point that AP was issued after the spouse left the US. Which specifically breaks the rules. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

5 hours ago, AstroCanada said:

It's all honestly pretty vague from what I've read.  If the AP is approved, it certainly seems like re-entry is possible.  You're in the corner cases now, where no one on this forum is an expert, and different outcomes happen depending on the individual and the CBP officer.  

If you opt for spousal visa from out of the US, you're looking at 1-2 years apart.  You might want to weight that against returning and trying to continue the AOS since AP has indeed been granted.  

lol its 10-14 months, not 2 years. And we wont be apart I'm with her in her home country currently which i am able to make a living in for as long as we need so its not too big of a deal. I got a work permit here when i first came because I was afraid of what would happen if this went the wrong way. So everything is going to be fine.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Roel said:

You missed the point that AP was issued after the spouse left the US. Which specifically breaks the rules. 

We all know the USCIS never makes a mistake 

YMMV

1 hour ago, Aosap402 said:

After looking at some processing times its actually 7-10 months. Dont know why people way overestimate timelines nowadays. Our Aos was estimated to take 8-12 months and we got the interview 4 months after applying.

AOS depends on local field office. A handful take only a few months. Most are taking around a year. Some are taking 18-24 months.

A typical CR-1/IR-1 case from filing to interview is typically taking ~12-16 months, depending on various factors like embassy/consulate involved. Some are lucky to only take ~10 months. Some are waiting 18+ months.

The 7-10 months is about right for the I-130 alone. But that's just step 1 in an immigrant visa case. Then it's off to NVC for a few months of processing. Then waiting for an interview at the embassy once the case is closed at NVC, which usually adds ~1-3 months.

Your case is a little different in that your I-130 was already filed (although it's not approved either)...I'm not sure if it will go to the back of the line or not.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, Aosap402 said:

After looking at some processing times its actually 7-10 months. Dont know why people way overestimate timelines nowadays. Our Aos was estimated to take 8-12 months and we got the interview 4 months after applying.

Just to be super clear...where you got 7-10 months is from here:
https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

This is purely the I-130 phase of the process.  You're looking at minimum of 3 months after that best case and if they're as slow as they've been historically another 5-10 for NVC and consulate.  

Glad you have a work permit though and you get to be together.  Just wanted to be clear on timelines, so your expectations would be set accordingly.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.