9 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Helen Quail said:

HI everyone,

Just to share - we had our interview yesterday and were approved. Right now I haven't felt much of the joy yet, - it will come!! - just gratitude and relief as honestly it was grueling.  

We were there for three hours, one hour wait and two in the interview room. 50 minutes of that was me and the rest going through the paperwork for my four children so that would be exceptional. Be prepared for a long wait beforehand.

Basically, the officer is trained to trick you and spot any lies/omissions etc. He continually did this, misrepresenting information, and pursuing very specific facts or dates here and here. Some of the big and obvious stuff he didn't touch. He barely looked at my photos for instance. Yet made a big deal about EXACTLY which dates I came and went on one of my visits here and finding the registration date of my birth; my previous divorce certificate ( which they already had) etc. I was super organized with my paperwork and was thankful for this, even though much of it wasn't touched. Things that were asked for they already had, but just be prepared to provide what is asked for, however random!

He couldn't finds my son's medical form the consulate for most of the interview so insisted he couldn't be approved and we would have to re do everything. At the - very - last - gasp he found it. So that was a huge relief.

Likewise when he misplaced his notes, he said - after approving me - he couldn't proceed with approval if he didn't find them...
We also explained he has travel booked next week and though we have advance parole it becomes invalid so we asked about the possibility of an i551 stamp. That was simply not going to happen, nor was he interested in my son's situation. Just told us to wait to travel.

Once or twice he flashed real kindness and towards the end as he worked through my childrens' files he told us a long story of meeting ghosts! But if we tried to be friendly at other times - and even just in the course of responding to his questions sometimes it was met very sternly. It will vary but it was clear to me that this was all training. He would jump from topic to topic rapidly to try to catch any pretence out and was very harsh with me several times. None of it was "personal" just set up to root out fraud and have everything documented

BUT he approved us then and there. And out status updated online within an hour or two.

And breathe....!

Thank you to everyone who has advised and supported along the way. And the very best of luck to everyone awaiting interview or decisions.

You'll get there!

Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your journey 

1 hour ago, Helen Quail said:

Basically, the officer is trained to trick you and spot any lies/omissions etc. He continually did this, misrepresenting information, and pursuing very specific facts or dates here and here.

This was for a K-1?  Very surprising to hear if it was at London Embassy.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

This was for a K-1?  Very surprising to hear if it was at London Embassy.

I had a lovely experience at London for K1. This was for AOS at Sacramento

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Ann&James said:

Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your journey 

Thank you! We put such a focus on each step, only to realize there is another!! It's important to just stop and enjoy right where we are. This is such a journey! Two years since we started the paperwork. Glad to be here!

1 hour ago, Helen Quail said:

HI everyone,

Just to share - we had our interview yesterday and were approved. Right now I haven't felt much of the joy yet, - it will come!! - just gratitude and relief as honestly it was grueling.  

We were there for three hours, one hour wait and two in the interview room. 50 minutes of that was me and the rest going through the paperwork for my four children so that would be exceptional. Be prepared for a long wait beforehand.

Basically, the officer is trained to trick you and spot any lies/omissions etc. He continually did this, misrepresenting information, and pursuing very specific facts or dates here and here. Some of the big and obvious stuff he didn't touch. He barely looked at my photos for instance. Yet made a big deal about EXACTLY which dates I came and went on one of my visits here and finding the registration date of my birth; my previous divorce certificate ( which they already had) etc. I was super organized with my paperwork and was thankful for this, even though much of it wasn't touched. Things that were asked for they already had, but just be prepared to provide what is asked for, however random!

He couldn't finds my son's medical form the consulate for most of the interview so insisted he couldn't be approved and we would have to re do everything. At the - very - last - gasp he found it. So that was a huge relief.

Likewise when he misplaced his notes, he said - after approving me - he couldn't proceed with approval if he didn't find them...
We also explained he has travel booked next week and though we have advance parole it becomes invalid so we asked about the possibility of an i551 stamp. That was simply not going to happen, nor was he interested in my son's situation. Just told us to wait to travel.

Once or twice he flashed real kindness and towards the end as he worked through my childrens' files he told us a long story of meeting ghosts! But if we tried to be friendly at other times - and even just in the course of responding to his questions sometimes it was met very sternly. It will vary but it was clear to me that this was all training. He would jump from topic to topic rapidly to try to catch any pretence out and was very harsh with me several times. None of it was "personal" just set up to root out fraud and have everything documented

BUT he approved us then and there. And out status updated online within an hour or two.

And breathe....!

Thank you to everyone who has advised and supported along the way. And the very best of luck to everyone awaiting interview or decisions.

You'll get there!

Yay Congratulations

Timeline
5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Well he sounds like a right jerk. Sorry that happened, but getting approved is great.

Truly I didn't feel it was personal - just following training. But it was nasty yeah and if you weren't very on the ball as well as calm and respectful it could have gone badly wrong very easily. I was so glad I was so organized with all my paperwork. And it's done...(for now!)

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.