D & T

NAME CHANGE

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi guys!

i just immigrated a few days ago and went to the Social Security Office to make my number and change my name to my married name. Here in NC the representative said I would have to change under USCIS first, but I’ve never heard of it. I thought I could change with the SSO straight away.

I thought about getting a court order.

I appreciate any help. I’m kinda lost :(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

you can use your new married name in anything if they allow but ssa wont ever let you..wait for your greencard and go back to ssa and apply for ssn its easy once you have your greencard.

edit: saw that you are ir/cr..i believe you will get your greencard few weeks after you arrive..if they dont send you a ssn/card together with your greencard just go back and request for one.  good luck

Edited by FilAm24

Timeline
7 minutes ago, p-ana said:

The usually want an official form of ID in the name you’re trying to change into. So if you have a state ID, green card, you can bring that with you to try again. 

I don’t have anything. Everything’s under my maiden name. I thought the starting point should be at SSO

12 minutes ago, D & T said:

Hi guys!

i just immigrated a few days ago and went to the Social Security Office to make my number and change my name to my married name. Here in NC the representative said I would have to change under USCIS first, but I’ve never heard of it. I thought I could change with the SSO straight away.

I thought about getting a court order.

I appreciate any help. I’m kinda lost :(

No, that is not correct at all. You can change it now if you want since you came in under the CR1. So either go to that same office or to a different office to change it because alot of times their personnel don't know the everything like that. You can use the married name now in everything. What name is your GC in?

Where in NC are you? We are in NC as well.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Timeline
1 minute ago, FilAm24 said:

you can use your new married name in anything if they allow but ssa wont ever let you..wait for your greencard and go back to ssa and apply for ssn its easy once you have your greencard.

I went there with my passport and visa (which’s my green card) and the guy was very firm about contacting USCIS first :(

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

No, that is not correct at all. You can change it now if you want since you came in under the CR1. So either go to that same office or to a different office to change it because alot of times their personnel don't know the everything like that. You can use the married name now in everything. What name is your GC in?

Where in NC are you? We are in NC as well.

We’re in Winston-Salem. What about you guys?

Exactly! I left there ao frustrated because I thought this was going to be a simple procedure. Maybe I could try the Greensboro office or High Point one.

2 minutes ago, D & T said:

Exactly! I left there ao frustrated because I thought this was going to be a simple procedure. Maybe I could try the Greensboro office or High Point one.

Lol, I am actually in Greensboro. I would try to go the Greensboro office near Wendover on the west side. That way it's easier for you coming from W-S. How do you like the Triad so far?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, D & T said:

I went there with my passport and visa (which’s my green card) and the guy was very firm about contacting USCIS first :(

to what i know CR1 basically received their greencard 2 weeks or so after arrival in the US..and i think they also received a social security card and if they dont they go to ssa...what are you trying to change to your married name?

if your greencard is in your maiden name i guess uou should contact uscis first to issue you a greencard with your married name? if its for your social security card maiden name to married name it should he easy if your greencard is already in married name.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Greekwife said:

Why would you like to change your surname?

I do not think it is necessary and I assume your GC will have your family surname too.

So,my suggestion is why get into this trouble ?

It has a sentimental meaning :)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Lol, I am actually in Greensboro. I would try to go the Greensboro office near Wendover on the west side. That way it's easier for you coming from W-S. How do you like the Triad so far?

Oh sweet! We’re neighbors haha! Did your wife change hers there without any trouble? Will go there tomorrow then!

I’m calling USCIS office now just to have an official answer to tell them tomorrow.

I like the triad! I spent 2 long periods with my old tourist visa with my husband here so I’m pretty used to it! I like the Cat Cafe over there! And the brazilians always get together there for church on Sundays :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I talked about this to my husband when he raised this issue of surname change.

I wish to keep my family name for sentimental reasons too and always reminding me my roots and the country I come from.

Best of luck to you.🙂

I am sure you will find a solution through USCIS.

Timeline
Just now, Greekwife said:

I talked about this to my husband when he raised this issue of surname change.

I wish to keep my family name for sentimental reasons too and always reminding me my roots and the country I come from.

Best of luck to you.🙂

I am sure you will find a solution through USCIS.

I’ll always have my first names to remind my roots (they’re exotic to americans lol). I like the idea of having his last name as a family bond so I promised my husband I would change it. I spoke to my brazilian family and they were fine with the change too 😊

Hopefully I’ll get this done smoothly 🙏🏻

Timeline
18 minutes ago, D & T said:

My gc (will arrive yet) is under my maiden name. As soon as I change under SSN I’ll request the change.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.