Jump to content

30 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello, guys !

 

I, really, need your help!

 

My EAD card was sent to me today, I received it in the mailbox and was so happy to open it.

Out of that happiness, I did not notice that my last name is misspelled on EAD card.

 

It came as a combo card.

 

After searching trough the papers, I have noticed that this mistake was on my end, as the EAD form was the only form that we sent with a misspelled last letter of my last name.

 

I filled the EAD form and Advance Parole form separately, with EAD form containing the misspelled name, while AP form contained the correct spelling.

 

I've seen that I entered the name wrong in the EAD filling form , that the wrong name was put on the NOA1, and 4 months later, NOA2 form, and I did not notice the mistake.

 

It is just one letter, the last letter of my last name.

 

Apparently, thats the legal name I put in the box of I765 form, with a mistake, but all other boxes on the same form, as well as other forms, had my name correctly spelled.

 

I have not received my SSN number and I am afraid that, since I opted to receive it along with I765 form, will have the misspelled name, as well.

 

Can anyone, please, advise me what to do ?!

 

I will be calling USCIS on Monday, to explain the situation, but from what I have read, I will have to send the card back, with a new application form, including the fee and with all of the other details supporting the fact that my name was misspelled.Apparently the process can take up to 90 days and I really do not have the nerves to wait another 3 months after I've waited for 5 months...

 

I have several question and I would very much appreciate if a person, who has knowledge in this, takes a look at this:

 

1.When opting to get SSN while filling out the I765 form, is the legal name put on the I765 form for EAD and SSN the same ? I am afraid that, in the situation I wrote up, I will get an SSN misspelled, as well?

 

2.Since, from what I've read, the EAD card has an alien number, which does not change, and, apparently, the SSN also has a number that does not change ( only under rare instances ), will I be able to work, using the numbers and copies of my EAD card and SSN card, while getting them renewed for a mistake ?

 

3.Since the processing times are long, and EAD serves temporarily, until the Green card is received, should the misspelling of one letter make a big issue with employers ?

I wouldn't be worried about this if the Green card was coming shortly after EAD, but knowing processing times, it can take months for that, and it will take approx. 90 days to get the EAD card renewed, because the mistake was mine and I have low hopes of USCIS having mercy and helping out by filling out that it was their mistake or to expedite my case due to financial losses I've been suffering because of the long waits.

 

Anyone that can help, please ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DenisAlma said:

Hello, guys !

 

I, really, need your help!

 

My EAD card was sent to me today, I received it in the mailbox and was so happy to open it.

Out of that happiness, I did not notice that my last name is misspelled on EAD card.

 

It came as a combo card.

 

After searching trough the papers, I have noticed that this mistake was on my end, as the EAD form was the only form that we sent with a misspelled last letter of my last name.

 

I filled the EAD form and Advance Parole form separately, with EAD form containing the misspelled name, while AP form contained the correct spelling.

 

I've seen that I entered the name wrong in the EAD filling form , that the wrong name was put on the NOA1, and 4 months later, NOA2 form, and I did not notice the mistake.

 

It is just one letter, the last letter of my last name.

 

Apparently, thats the legal name I put in the box of I765 form, with a mistake, but all other boxes on the same form, as well as other forms, had my name correctly spelled.

 

I have not received my SSN number and I am afraid that, since I opted to receive it along with I765 form, will have the misspelled name, as well.

 

Can anyone, please, advise me what to do ?!

 

I will be calling USCIS on Monday, to explain the situation, but from what I have read, I will have to send the card back, with a new application form, including the fee and with all of the other details supporting the fact that my name was misspelled.Apparently the process can take up to 90 days and I really do not have the nerves to wait another 3 months after I've waited for 5 months...

 

I have several question and I would very much appreciate if a person, who has knowledge in this, takes a look at this:

 

1.When opting to get SSN while filling out the I765 form, is the legal name put on the I765 form for EAD and SSN the same ? I am afraid that, in the situation I wrote up, I will get an SSN misspelled, as well? Usually it should be the same, just check once your SSN gets in. If it has your name misspelled, go to the SSN office right away and request a new card with the right spelling

 

2.Since, from what I've read, the EAD card has an alien number, which does not change, and, apparently, the SSN also has a number that does not change ( only under rare instances ), will I be able to work, using the numbers and copies of my EAD card and SSN card, while getting them renewed for a mistake ? From googling this question the answer seems yes, you're allowed to work since your A number is registered as allowed to work, but double check with USCIS when you call. You don't want to work illegally by accident.

 

3.Since the processing times are long, and EAD serves temporarily, until the Green card is received, should the misspelling of one letter make a big issue with employers ?

I wouldn't be worried about this if the Green card was coming shortly after EAD, but knowing processing times, it can take months for that, and it will take approx. 90 days to get the EAD card renewed, because the mistake was mine and I have low hopes of USCIS having mercy and helping out by filling out that it was their mistake or to expedite my case due to financial losses I've been suffering because of the long waits. You HAVE to correct your card, since the card does not have the correct spelling. Since it's your mistake it may take a little bit to get the new card.

 

Since you have your I-485 pending it should be free of charge to get your EAD renewed with the right spelling, but also double check this when you call USCIS

 

Anyone that can help, please ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, C90 said:

 

Thank you so much, I hope that the things you wrote are true.

 

I just want to work, I wanted to make copies of EAD and SSN once I get it, to show to employers that Ive been approved, with a spelling mistake.

 

Are you sure that fee does not have to be paid , even tho its my mistake ?

 

I guess I will have to suck up to the USCIS to have the case expedited since I am suffering financial losses.

 

One more question, if I may, please.

 

Which is more important to the employers ? EAD or SSN ?

 

I've read that SSN will not allow me to change the name until it matches the EAD name, and that wont happen for months since I am destroyed by the wait time to get the EAD renewed.I just got it and I cant bare with the fact that I have to wait double time because of a simple, honest, mistake.

Edited by DenisAlma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DenisAlma said:

Thank you so much, I hope that the things you wrote are true.

 

I just want to work, I wanted to make copies of EAD and SSN once I get it, to show to employers that Ive been approved, with a spelling mistake.

 

Are you sure that fee does not have to be paid , even tho its my mistake ? Never said I was sure in the first place. Theoretically with a pending I-485 you don't have to pay the EAD fee, but since they have to produce a new card because you made an error with the filing I don't know if it's fee free. When you call USCIS you should ask, and you can read the EAD instructions before you call (maybe it mentions something, I didn't look for it)

 

I guess I will have to suck up to the USCIS to have the case expedited since I am suffering financial losses. Prob not gonna be expedited since the error is on your side, but that's also something you can ask when you call

 

One more question, if I may, please.

 

Which is more important to the employers ? EAD or SSN ? You need both

 

I've read that SSN will not allow me to change the name until it matches the EAD name, and that wont happen for months since I am destroyed by the wait time to get the EAD renewed.I just got it and I cant bare with the fact that I have to wait double time because of a simple, honest, mistake.

 

Edited by C90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2019 at 4:47 PM, C90 said:

 

Thank you for your time and patience.

I am in deep now since I was dumb enough to make such a mistake.

I guess I will have to come to terms with the fact that I will have to wait 3 months for a new card.And the cherry on the top is the information that I got that Green card might be messed up as well, even tho I entered correct information, because they pull the name out of the system from I765 form which is messed up.

But, I guess, I can get it fixed on the interview, as, I heard, officer can over-ride the computer.

Edited by TBoneTX
Profanities edited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2019 at 5:05 PM, DenisAlma said:

Thank you for your time and patience.

I am in deep now since I was dumb enough to make such a mistake.

I guess I will have to come to terms with the fact that I will have to wait 3 months for a new card.And the cherry on the top is the information that I got that Green card might be messed up as well, even tho I entered correct information, because they pull the name out of the system from I765 form which is messed up.

But, I guess, I can get it fixed on the interview, as, I heard, officer can over-ride the computer.

Don't worry about the green card. The officer goes over the full application and will fix any errors.

You can prob still work with a copy of the EAD and SSN, since the I-9 (the form you need to fill out for an employer stating your status) asks for your A number and that didn't change. The only tricky thing is that your SSN might be misspelled, but you can prob fix that at the office.

When I got my SSN they looked at my passport and my immigration status. USCIS should have you in the system under your right name. BUT this is just guessing what I'm doing, best to just call USCIS and SSN and find this out. I'm sure you'll be able to fix it rather quick!

Edited by TBoneTX
Profanities edited in quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, C90 said:

The only tricky thing is that your SSN might be misspelled, but you can prob fix that at the office.

When I got my SSN they looked at my passport and my immigration status. USCIS should have you in the system under your right name. BUT this is just guessing what I'm doing, best to just call USCIS and SSN and find this out. I'm sure you'll be able to fix it rather quick!

Thank you for your wishes.

The tricky part, as you mentioned, seems the hardest to resolve.I've read that the SSN will, most likely, refuse to change the name while EAD information is not matching, which can lead to several months of waiting, since SSN is tied to the processing time the EAD.

On the other hand, supported with the informations I found on SSA website, I can change the name if I have a document supporting the fact that my legal name is different that the one on the card.

Also, similarly to the EAD and A-number, the SSN would not change number in case of the name change.

I hope they can cut me some slack and allow me to use the a-number and ssn while the cards are being renewed with corrected info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello!

 

Since I received the EAD card with a typo on the last letter of my last name, and it was my mistake, the USCIS told me that I will have to wait the same processing time to get it replaced, which is 5 months, and I don't believe its smart to do that since GC can be done in a few months, anyway.

 

My question is, will I get in legal troubles working with a misspelled EAD for a few months until I get the green card, which will void EAD, since the alien registration number is asked on the form ?

 

Can you work with a misspelled EAD or SSN, since they were issued for me, with my picture, my a-number and all of that, it just contains a typo.

 

GC can be misspelled as well, since, I heard, they pull out the info from I765 form to make the green card, but you can get it done while you are having an interview, since officers are able to over-ride the computer for any mistakes.

Edited by DenisAlma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most practical issue would be an employer not accepting an I-9 with documentation in a name doesn't match your other documents. They are required to match the documents.

 

I don't see an issue with working...you are the correct person that was granted authorization to work. But you lack documentation to complete the I-9 satisfactorily.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

The most practical issue would be an employer not accepting an I-9 with documentation in a name doesn't match your other documents. They are required to match the documents.

 

I don't see an issue with working...you are the correct person that was granted authorization to work. But you lack documentation to complete the I-9 satisfactorily.

So its a employers call?

I know that the I9 requires A- number, which will stay the same, even with a replacement, but name will be the issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

**Moved from  Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America to Working & Traveling During US Immigration; topic is work**


03639.png                  

 🇷🇺  CR-1 via DCF in Moscow* (2016-2017) 🇺🇸 Info about my DCF experience here and here.

Spoiler

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad (USC + Russian husband) 👩‍❤️‍👨
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

 

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED.

 

I-90 GC Replacment (for Erroneous GC)

22-Jul-2017: GC arrives in the mail – error in middle name 😕

01-Aug-2017: Sent in I-90 online via website

05-Aug-2017: Biometrics scheduled

23-Aug-2017: Biometrics done @ USCIS office; told to keep GC!

16-Jul-2018: RFE for original card!! 🤬

31-Jul-2018: USCIS Appointment at local field office..

22-Aug-2018: Mailed GC back to USCIS in response to RFE

29-Aug-2018: GC received by USCIS

17-Sept-2018: Received CORRECTED GC in the mail! Finally!! 😂

 

📑 I-751 Removal of Conditions - NBC (Apr-2019-???) 📝 MSC I-751 filers: Track your case here!

Spoiler

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office  

??-???-2019: TBA...

Mar-30-2020: N-400 early filing window opens! 🇺🇸

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, DenisAlma said:

So its a employers call?

I know that the I9 requires A- number, which will stay the same, even with a replacement, but name will be the issue.

For the employer to comply with I-9 requirements, they shouldn't accept it as the documents don't match.

What an employer actually does is another story. You as a person are authorized to work, so you wouldn't be the one to get in trouble.

 

Edit: Also, request an expedite due to USCIS error.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

For the employer to comply with I-9 requirements, they shouldn't accept it as the documents don't match.

What an employer actually does is another story. You as a person are authorized to work, so you wouldn't be the one to get in trouble.

 

Edit: Also, request an expedite due to USCIS error.

It was my mistake and USCIS cant expedite it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DenisAlma said:

It was my mistake and USCIS cant expedite it

Ah...well then yeah, not a basis for expedite. :(


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Ah...well then yeah, not a basis for expedite. :(

I am just worried that, if I start working under misspelled name, I will get in trouble with the whole process.I've called USCIS and they said that I should return the card and that employment depends on the employer.

I think they can work around that, since I will be employed by a friend of a family member, I am just scared that I will commit a felony, since the I9 form obliges me to swear under the penalty of perjury that all the information entered in the form is correct.

 

I've also been to the SSA office and they confirmed that the SSN will probably come misspelled, as well, since i filed for EAD and SSN together and they cant change it until I get the EAD corrected.

At least, I won't have to pay since AOS is still pending.

So, I will have EAD and SSN not matching any other documentation I have.

I can't believe that one box costs me all this trouble.USCIS also did not care to check every other box where my name was spelled right, along with the fact that my fathers and mothers last name was in there.

I literally had the ''in care of'' box, for mailing, spelled correctly right bellow the ''legal name'' box with misspelled last name.

And, on top of that, I've filled for AP separately from EADa, and AP had all the information correct, but they merged them into a combo card with a misspelled last name.

The mistake is only in the last letter of the last name.

Edited by DenisAlma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×