Eve81

problems to get my drivers license

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

We haven't got the drivers license yet, but according to the Colorado DMV website, they should be able to issue one with the statement "not valid for federal identification, voting or public benefit purposes". I'm currently on hold with the DMV now for the third time...nobody seems to be able to answer my questions about this. I'll post the answer I get once I get through.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I wonder whether procuring a DL for illegals might hurt one's status later, such as difficulty in converting that license to one for a legal resident.  There might also be a USCIS aspect, but perhaps less of a chance of that.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

The website also says:

"For those able to demonstrate lawful presence:

Applications will be accepted at any state drivers license office. No appointment is necessary for a renewal, written test, application and review of written documents or instruction permit. However, you will need to make an appointment for a driving test."

I'm pretty sure that the I-797 you receive after you submit for AOS is proof of lawful presence. Now if we can just convince DMV of this...

I've been on hold with them for 53 minutes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems people in CA have not had issues converting, I do not know about CO. It does not seem to be an issue with those who have been here illegally and then get a GC.

11 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

I wonder whether procuring a DL for illegals might hurt one's status later, such as difficulty in converting that license to one for a legal resident.  There might also be a USCIS aspect, but perhaps less of a chance of that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
2 minutes ago, johnebertus said:

The website also says:

Applications will be accepted at any state drivers license office. No appointment is necessary for a renewal, written test, application and review of written documents or instruction permit. However, you will need to make an appointment for a driving test."

I'm pretty sure that the I-797 you receive after you submit for AOS is proof of lawful presence. Now if we can just convince DMV of this...

It is proof, but my i-94 is expired... So that's their problem... I think their computer program doesn't want to take my case... Or something like that...

Maybe, if my man finds the time, we'll go to another DMV, Denver or so. Although that the Boulder office must get lots of foreigners in too. It's kinda full of expats here...

Timeline

I went to Boulder, now not recently, they just needed EAD.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
1 minute ago, johnebertus said:

The website also says:

Yes, I had the same thought as well. The problem is they reference the SAVE system as how they will prove lawful residence. 

I had a great time on the phone with the New Jersey version of the DMV. I told them I was getting different answers at different locations so the advice on my last phone call was to go to the location that had the answers that I liked. 🤪 Not that it was bad advice, just funny to hear that as a response from a DMV rep.

So even if you do not get a positive answer on the phone I recommend making appointments to go in and help. Also keep in mind, when I did on occasion get a good answer on the phone the people in the DMV location don't care about the phone call anyway. You would need to have a way to get the person on the phone to relay to the physical location you will go to!

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
55 minutes ago, johnebertus said:

The website also says:

Here is the official Colorado lists.  I don't see I-797 on the lists.   I see I-551, unexpired I-94 and EAD.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2300.pdf

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2300B.pdf

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, missileman said:

Here is the official Colorado list.  I don't see I-797 on the lists.   I see unexpired I-94 and EAD.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2300.pdf

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2300B.pdf

I agree. The I797 only proves they have authorized stay as per their pending I485. It doesnt change her status of being out of status.

Timeline
1 minute ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I agree. The I797 only proves they have authorized stay as per their pending I485. It doesnt change her status of being out of status.

That's what was told me to bring by several DMV personnel... Of course, then i still had some days left on my I-94...

1 minute ago, johnebertus said:

And the license would expire the day your I-94 does...

Exactly. The OP is already out of status/I94 is already expired.

Timeline

So there is actually totally not reason to go for a DL before you get an EAD or GC? I have a friend that just arrived on her K1... If I can help her to avoid all this hassle and bs, it's not bad, no?

Timeline

Can your friend not use her home DL? Every State gives you some leeway as a new resident.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.