naijaboy007

F1 Visa Sponsor needs Urgent Advice.

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello, I am a US sponsoring my brother for an F1 student visa. He has been accepted to a regionally accredited uni for his MBA program. His interview at the US embassy in Nigeria is a few weeks from now.

1. As the sponsor which documents should I submit?

2.Does the embassy have the AUTHORITY to pull up my bank accounts to see how much I have? I have a letter from my bank stating my financial solvency. Will that letter suffice as proof that I will be able to support him financially or do I need to send more documents?

3. What documents does he need to provide? I already sent him the i-20.

4. I am also in the military, I don't know if there are other documents that I should provide from my job to facilitate the process ..

Thanks 

45 minutes ago, naijaboy007 said:

Hello, I am a US sponsoring my brother for an F1 student visa. He has been accepted to a regionally accredited uni for his MBA program. His interview at the US embassy in Nigeria is a few weeks from now.

1. As the sponsor which documents should I submit?

Financial documents, bank statements, anything that show that you are able to pay the amount specified on the I-20. Documents showing your income is also good.

2.Does the embassy have the AUTHORITY to pull up my bank accounts to see how much I have? I have a letter from my bank stating my financial solvency. Will that letter suffice as proof that I will be able to support him financially or do I need to send more documents?

No, of course the Embassy does not have the authority to pull up your bank account. I assume you're in the US, so they would need a court order with probable cause to look into any bank account. It's a severe violation of privacy laws. 

They can ask you for your bank statement. It has to have a number. I don't know what the letter stating your "financial solvency" is, but it might not be enough. 

3. What documents does he need to provide? I already sent him the i-20.

He needs to provide documents that he has ties to Nigeria, and that he will go back to Nigeria after he finishes his MBA. Does his parents still live there? Does he have houses, properties, lands, boats, seaDoos, .... ? Does he have a family, wife, husband, children, ...? The more ties to Nigeria he can provide, the better chance he gets. 

4. I am also in the military, I don't know if there are other documents that I should provide from my job to facilitate the process .

I don't think that's necessary. 

On the finances, the embassy will want to see evidence that you have enough (or can earn enough on an ongoing basis if there is a payment plan option) to pay for your brother’s college fees and all other expenses (books, health insurance, food, rent if he is not living with you, etc). The college presumably publishes a cost of attendance schedule which you’d need to show you can meet.

scroll down to the documentation/interview section for suggestions of documents for him to bring 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

On military pay? I spent 6 years on active duty, and can tell you didn't get paid hardly a thing, so not sure with your own expenses how you could sponsor someone for college to be honest.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought Uni's were nationally accredited.

But if you have the resources to pay fine, if they have any doubts they will ask for further evidence and of course they can not make you show them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I thought Uni's were nationally accredited.

But if you have the resources to pay fine, if they have any doubts they will ask for further evidence and of course they can not make you show them.

Many good universities are regionally accredited.

i’d be more concerned that a statement of financial solvency doesn’t take the cost of an mba into account, which has to come out of after tax income. I think OP is going to have to show statements with numbers to satisfy the embassy.

Edited by SusieQQQ

2 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

On military pay? I spent 6 years on active duty, and can tell you didn't get paid hardly a thing, so not sure with your own expenses how you could sponsor someone for college to be honest.

I was actually thinking the same thing lol.

Maybe he has some extra savings. 😛

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you are a resident of the US, it will be more difficult for your brother to get a F-1 visa based on your sponsorship since there would be greater risk of him overstaying a student visa, with immigrant intent, family member in the US.  He would have a better chance of approval if someone in his home country, like parents, have the financial means to sponsor him as a foreign student in the US temporarily.  Just my experience based on 35 years teaching MBA students from around the world.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.