Siddsgal

Suggestions for a better chance of approval

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi everyone, really appreciate this site, so much wonderful and helpful info! 

My question is if there’s anything my fiancé and I should or could be doing now, before we file for CR-1 visa. A bit of background and why I know the odds are stacked against us. I am quite a bit older than my fiancé, 11 years older, I’m an American and he’s in India, and we haven’t been together for years like a lot of you have. We will be getting married in August, have been saving everything since realized our relationship was the real deal for us and I have saved all my flights & trip itineraries and receipts from when I visited him. 

Neither one of us have tons of money so we can’t really afford to go through this process multiple times and it’s just downright tough to be apart. 

I know India has a high fraud reputation, also know we’re gonna be flagged as fraud from the get go cuz of our age difference and lack of money to go over by him more than 2x a year. We have a lot of people from all over the world that can validate our relationship but I’m not sure how much weight that will carry with getting an approval? We are trying to find ways to get a joint bank account, main reason being it would be practical for traveling, marriage and visa expenses but have not had much luck finding a way to do a joint account yet. I’ll move to Mumbai once my daughter graduates if his visa doesn’t get approved but that isn’t something either of us really want, he’s an educated man that could really contribute to American workforce and Id hate to be in a different country than my daughter.   So does anyone have any suggestions of things we can be doing or should do to give us a better chance of his visa being approved? Thanks in advance from both of us for any help! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Based on stories told here, 11 years doesn't seem that big of an age difference. As for tips, if his India passport is due to expire within the next year or two, have him get a renewed passport. From CR1 (i130) through removal of conditions of the green card (i551) to US citizenship (n400) is a 4+ year process. It's a little easier if he doesn't have to get a new passport during the middle of this process. And if he's changing his name, at all, definitely renew the passport right now with his new name - before you file the CR1.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

11 years is hardly a huge age gap. I married my husband 6 months after meeting him online introduced by friends. I am 26 years older. No issues at interview.
You have visited and stayed I don't see what the issue is.

Just prepare your petition package with quality evidence, pictures, your communications.Selecting a few conversations a month. get a few 2 to 4 affidavits from family and friends attesting to your relationship.
Good spontaneous pictures of you with his family enjoying all the India cultural things.

When you go to get married try and stay at least more than a month. Time together is your biggest evidence. Will this be your first face to face meeting?

A joint account doesn't really mean much when you aren't living together I sure wouldn't stress myself trying to get one setup if it's that hard.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

11 years isn't bad but an older woman will raise a few eyebrows.  I agree with @Russ&Caro, get the new passport.  CR-1 are less likely to get denied and it seems like you already understand the very minor challenge you will have.  I don't believe it will be a problem but always be confident and honest and you will be approved.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline

Oh my goodness, you don’t know how much you have made me feel better about our age difference, thank you!! After we got engaged I had consulted a lawyer and he made it sound like our age was gonna be a huge obstacle, I’ve felt sorta hopeless since then. Our relationship wasn’t something either of us were looking for or even really wanted because of the distance & cuz we both have been happily single for years but for some reason we are perfect for each other. 

At this point, he doesn’t even have a passport, he’s heen having issues with getting his birth certificate cuz of family issues but by August he hopes to have his passport. 

Thanks again for making me feel better about our age difference!! 😁

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Age difference won't be an issue unless it's out of the ordinary in the local culture.

As stated, "face time" in person is your best selling point.

Front-load your I-130 with meaningful evidence of your bona fide relationship.

This means evidence that would convince a dubious stranger (the consular officer) of validity.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
7 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

11 years is hardly a huge age gap. I married my husband 6 months after meeting him online introduced by friends. I am 26 years older. No issues at interview.
You have visited and stayed I don't see what the issue is.

Just prepare your petition package with quality evidence, pictures, your communications.Selecting a few conversations a month. get a few 2 to 4 affidavits from family and friends attesting to your relationship.
Good spontaneous pictures of you with his family enjoying all the India cultural things.

When you go to get married try and stay at least more than a month. Time together is your biggest evidence. Will this be your first face to face meeting?

A joint account doesn't really mean much when you aren't living together I sure wouldn't stress myself trying to get one setup if it's that hard.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me!!!! I seem to hear all the reasons why it won’t work and how unlikely his visa is so you guys have renewed my hope♥️ 

Dwheels76, you in particular have really given me hope again, my fiancé and I met online to, he’s an admin of a fb group I joined so wasn’t a dating website. We pretty much fell in love after hours every day spent on the phone with each other and met 4 months after we met, which was this past February. I spent a week with him in India and the proposal wasn’t planned, we just both have known from the start that we’re met for each other. He had to ask my daughter first before it became official tho lol. 

So in August when I go back, my daughter will be going with me but we will only be able to stay for 3 weeks because of her schooling and cuz I’m a farmer. Then next year in February I’ll go back again for a week or so, the weather and my responsibilities at my home just don’t allow for longer trips than that. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Not trying to scare you but so you be prepared with the required evidences, my input/suggestion:

Unlike other countries, COs know it’s not common for men from South asian countries to marry a woman  a bit older than themselves culturally (unless it’s Priyanka/Nick), so your soon to be husband shall expect a bit of scrutiny during the visa interview. USCIS stage should generally be of no concern. To overcome any doubts CO could have during the visa interview, provide as many evidences of relationship as possible during I130 and then during NVC and then finally bring for the interviews. 

Go thru VJ guidelines. 

Start gathering evidences like

-any iteneraries/boarding passes of your travel to meet him

- any evidences of time spent together

- affidavits do not carry much weight but still good to have a few, focus more on tangible evidences

-printouts of chats at various timelines

- adding him as your beneficiary to your bank accounts,  retirement accounts 

-receipts of gifts sent back n forth

- timeline photos of you with him and his/your family including indian style wedding photos.

- make sure your husband knows everthying about your past including your current daughter.

Good luck...

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.